JudoForum.com: "Judo" Gene Lebell VS. Steven Segal - JudoForum.com

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

"Judo" Gene Lebell VS. Steven Segal THis really happened! No joke, read... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   6 Pack 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 04 March 2004 - 07:25 PM

WHile on the web researching on Gene Lebell I ran across this story of how he choked Steven Segal unconcious while on the set of a movie (Lebell works as a stuntman and stuntman cordinator).

I was skeptical at first, but while bouncing from one web site to another about Judo Gene I would read this same story over and over.

How it all went down varies from the different sources. What all the sources agree on is that Gene choked Segal unconcious, and Segal deficated himself. It hit the fan after that (no pun intended) and a gag order was placed on Gene prohibiting him from speaking about this to the media.

Unfortunately for Segal others that were there have talked, and it was dubbed the worst kept secret in Hollywood.

How it came to Gene choking out Segal? Here are some of the stories...

Segal was extremely rough on the stunt men during the filming of the movie, and Gene paid him a visit to let him know his thought on this (Gene is a rough character). Judo Gene ended up choking Segal out. Segal let one fly while he was out.

Another is that people on the set started bugging Segal that Gene would beat him a real fight. Segal fluffed off Gene's skills and Gene offered to show him. Gene put on a choke on Segal, and Segal was choked out. Not all that bad, but when he went out he let off a load.

Apparently it started off just Gene showing Segal a choke and Segal was going to show the people on the set how he would get out of it, but Segal went for Gene's eyes and the rest is history.

Any of you guys heard any of this? I have found articles written about this dating back to 1991 (around the time it happened). The article did not mention Segal's name, but brought up the story. It was an article about Gene's induction into the blackbelt hall of fame.
"Let's do it again"- Yoshida responding to the complaints made
by Royce Gracie about their first fight.

#2 Guest_Guest_guest

• Group: Guests

Posted 04 March 2004 - 09:14 PM

Segal gives the appearance of a phony with respect to just about everything. I hope this story is true.

#3 User is offline   Geoff 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 04 March 2004 - 10:40 PM

Nice story, just goesto show anyone can be choked out!

#4 User is offline   Scott_Wignall 

• Scott
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 05 March 2004 - 02:40 AM

There's something to that effect (Gene choking out Segal) on e-budo, in fact I first saw it about three or four months ago. I think it's in the judo section of e-budo.
Scott

Anyone interested in American Sign Language should look at the YouTube users: allyballybabe (Ally) and kiwisnotmelons (Lauren) and beckypoeh (Becky) and Heffy7 (Kristin) and katiemaew85 (Katie)

#5 User is offline   Warrior Monk 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 05 March 2004 - 03:34 AM

The story is so widespresd I think that if it were not true Segal would have made some public statement that it was BS.

#6 User is offline   6 Pack 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 05 March 2004 - 06:09 AM

Absolutely! I think Segal is trying to not bring it up at all costs. By not addressing it hopefully it just goes away. But word is out and has been for a long time.

Wonder if Gene ever came across Van Dame in his days? That could be a good scrap.

BTW I like some of Segal's movies and I am far from a Segal hater. I have no doubt he trained in Aikido (his martial art) extensively and knows his trade. But he does come across as a bit of an up tight person with a big ego. I am getting this from interviews with other actors and stories being told. So this hopefully humbled him a little. I know getting choked out to the point I plump a hot one in my pants would humble me a great deal.

Look for Segal to call for a rematch soon (Gene is in his 70's).

#7 User is offline   JudoSensei 

• Founder of JudoInfo.com
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin

Posted 05 March 2004 - 02:54 PM

Gene has years of great stories. Did you hear about when the Gracies challenged him? There was a time when they challenged everyone as they were trying to make a name for themselves. They wanted Gene to fight Royce or Rickson or someone like that 50 years younger. Gene replied that he was retired, but he countered with a challenge to fight Helio since he was closer to his age and was the teacher of all the others. Of course the Gracie's declined.
"Plum Blossoms Open Because of the Frost and Snow"

JudoUnleashed.com . KodokanJudo.info . DoJudo.com

#8 User is offline   Dragon 

• Judo Forum Shichidan
  • Icon

Posted 05 March 2004 - 04:32 PM

He also choked out a boxer. He wa saying judokas cna chop planks in half but can't win a fight against nobody.

Idiot

#9 User is offline   jjforumuser 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 05 March 2004 - 05:49 PM

Dragon, on Mar 5 2004, 04:32 PM, said:

He also choked out a boxer. He wa saying judokas cna chop planks in half but can't win a fight against nobody.

Idiot

wait a minute... gene never said judoka chop planks in half, that was the promoter of the boxer involved in the fight.
what no one has mentioned is that gene lebell, was also a boxer for some time and had trained with sugar ray robinson.

#10 User is offline   Dragon 

• Judo Forum Shichidan
  • Icon

Posted 05 March 2004 - 06:24 PM

I meant the boxing guy! Do you think I'd suggest that a judoka would say judo's rubbish and judoka are phoneys, then choke out some boxer with a judo shime? :blink:

#11 User is offline   6 Pack 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 06 March 2004 - 07:09 AM

Gene's fight with the boxer is in the articles archives. He did try boxing, but was not in it that long, grappling was his true passion. But at the same gym that he trained in grappling, they had alot of famous boxers. Sugar Ray was one of them.

I remember the Gracies challenging him. What a joke, he was in his 60's! It was after the first UFC, and they were trying to get attention to the UFC. It was Royce who was going to fight him, Royce was 27!

So Gene said he would take on Helio. He stated the Gracie would see how it feels to be challenged in a magazine. THey got the point.

I bet if Gene was younger he would have gladly fought Royce! And the winner would have been...

#12 Guest_Bone_guest

Posted 07 March 2004 - 05:10 AM

Yep I have heard the story from Gokor Gene's Top student and one of the stories is a little closer to the truth.

According to Gokor this took place on the set of "Out for Justice" where Segal was using a Brooklin accent and did a stick fight w/Dan Inasanto-who also tels thsi story. Well Segal was being a dick to the stuntmen, but that is his normal behavior according to them. Well he is talking about how bad he is and the stuntment say "Yeah, well we got this old guy back here who could choke you out!" and Segal stated that nobody coulod get close to him to choke him out he also had never heard of Judo Gene LeBell before that encounter. Well Gene came over and said that he could choke him out and and Segal said that he couldn't so Gene grabbed him real quick and started to choke him. Segal tapped and said that that wasn't fair he was talking and wasn't ready for Gene. So Uncle Gene waited for Sega to get "ready" and when he said that he was Gene grabbed him and started to choke him out and Segal coudln't do nothing w/the old guy. Well Gene was pissed off because Segal was being very rough for no reason on the stunt guys when doing the fight scenes w/them and was upset becuase Segal said he wasn't ready and woul;dn't admit that Gene hooked him so as Uncle Gene would oput it "there is 2 ways to choke a person out, one way the ygo out nice and wake up ok, the other is they go out quick and they piss and crap on themselves" Gene did the latter! Then he drug Segal over to a closet and put hi in there uncouncious. When he came to everybody was cracking up and he went and changed his clothes and fired Gene and his guys. Gene has not worked on another Segal Movie since.

Also, When the Gracie's challenged Gene he stated that he would fight Helio and Helio stated that he would fight Gene, but Gene would have to lose 50lbs becuase he outweighed him by 100lbs and Helio was 80 at that time. Gene said he made the challenge back to them so they could see what it was like and it was dropped. Gene trains with the Gracie's cousins the Machado Brothers a couple of times a week. Gene mainley trains w/Jean Jacque Machado.

#13 Guest_Guest_guest

Posted 07 March 2004 - 05:13 AM

I think that it is funney that they challenged Gene because they already knew him! Gokor was already traing w/those guys before the UFC. In fact Gokor wanted to fight in the first UFC's but Rorion Gracie said that they wanted to use Royce because of his size and once he won then everybody would want to grapple and they would all bennifit, bu tthen Rorion didn't live up to his promise. Personnaly i think Gokor would walk right through Royce, but that is just my opinon.

#14 User is offline   6 Pack 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 07 March 2004 - 08:03 AM

I don't know much about Gokor. What are his credentials in terms of MA style, grade, and competitions wins?

#15 User is offline   Amadeus 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 07 March 2004 - 08:02 PM

i've heard this story quite often. it's been brought up on the UG quite alot. i remember awhile back that someone posted a thread to Gene himself asking about the incident. Gene doesn't normally post on the UG but someone close to him (i think she's related to him somehow, i know she works for him) confirmed the story about seagal being abusive to the stuntman and lebell choking him out causing seagal to mess himself.
"For he who sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother."

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked