• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Don't Like MMA Early days were guilty interest. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   StyxJudo 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 09 November 2005 - 12:59 AM

Ok, I'll still watch the free stuff on Spike TV sometimes. But I'm still thinking it's brutal and uncivilized and I ought not to watch it. Exactly what Kano didn't like and warned against. Then I'll find myself thinking "Still not like a real fight. How often are two guys with no shirts going to scrap. Put some jackets on and try Combat Sambo."

So, what do some of you old Judo guys really think about MMA? Do you secretly watch when you know a Judo guy's going to fight?

Signed,

Mixed Up About Mixed Martial Arts.

#2 Guest_-JudoBJJKid-_guest

• Group: Guests

Posted 09 November 2005 - 01:06 AM

No need to say it's a secret pleasure. Just watch the traffic in the MMA and Other MA sub-forums here. Besides, didn't Judokas in Kano's time go to all those challenge matches against other styles?

#3 Guest_LiteBlu_guest

Posted 09 November 2005 - 01:16 AM

Lol. Judo itself was forged and proven in countless challenge matches in its early days the world over.

In the modern day, MMA is the melting pot of all martial arts, and in observing its growth rate today, it is the way of the future.

"Then I'll find myself thinking "Still not like a real fight. How often are two guys with no shirts going to scrap. Put some jackets on and try Combat Sambo." "

MMA has much less rules than combat sambo, and therefore is the closest simulation we have to a real fight as possible. You have to remember, it's only in North America wear the fighters are restricted to wearing shorts only. Almost everywhere else (eg. Pride) they can wear any type of clothing they want.

#4 User is offline   RightintheFace 

• Superbadger Ultra Supreme!
  • Icon

Posted 09 November 2005 - 01:17 AM

StyxJudo, on Nov 9 2005, 12:59 AM, said:

Ok, I'll still watch the free stuff on Spike TV sometimes. But I'm still thinking it's brutal and uncivilized and I ought not to watch it. Exactly what Kano didn't like and warned against. Then I'll find myself thinking "Still not like a real fight. How often are two guys with no shirts going to scrap. Put some jackets on and try Combat Sambo."

So, what do some of you old Judo guys really think about MMA? Do you secretly watch when you know a Judo guy's going to fight?

Signed,

Mixed Up About Mixed Martial Arts.

Different Strokes for different folks. If it's not your thing, fine, but don't work against it or call it "brutal and uncivilized." As a judoka and MMA competitor, I really do resent that. I'm not the least bit uncivilized, I just like a sport that you don't.
As a side note, I'd say that no-gi competitions are more realistic because not everyone is going to wear something that will hold up under the tensile force of a throw. Even when playing judo I use a lot of no-gi grips, because they work. And they ALWAYS work, not just when the person is wearing the right clothes. Just my two cents.
I've heard that if you step on a badger, he'll keep going after your shoe until the only recourse is to take off your shoe and give it to him. I've given RITF a couple of shoes. -yoda.

I dont think you are a bigot just intolerant and void of compassion and understanding (perhaps?)-Akeru

View Postteatime, on Sep 8 2007, 02:51 PM, said:

I told you I have no new arguments, you didn't "prove" it.

Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice

#5 Guest_-JudoBJJKid-_guest

Posted 09 November 2005 - 01:19 AM

Also, check out the Some MMA clips thread in the Media Forum. Compared to Boxing, MMA seems "relatively" safer ...

#6 User is offline   StyxJudo 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon

Posted 09 November 2005 - 01:22 AM

Good point. But were they the brutal prize fighting trash talking show biz that they are today?

#7 Guest_-JudoBJJKid-_guest

Posted 09 November 2005 - 01:29 AM

StyxJudo, on Nov 9 2005, 01:22 AM, said:

Good point. But were they the brutal prize fighting trash talking show biz that they are today?

Does it matter? The very nature of doing challenge matches implies "I can kick your ass."

#8 Guest_Guest_guest

Posted 09 November 2005 - 01:50 AM

If it's good enough for Yoshida....

Brutality is relative. I don't see it any worse then kick boxing. It's a sport. People who participate in it, train very hard and enjoy what they are doing. To them rules are rules and you play within them, just like the near idiotic gripping rules and such they have in Judo now, but on the opposite end of the scale. Knocking proffesional athletes that work as hard as highest levels of judokas, is silly. So is knocking on people who work very hard to become very skilled in what they do.

If Judo was done in an elevated ring and 50000 people were watching it at once, like in saitama super arena,and judokas would get purses to fight, I could call it brutal and uncivilized prize fighting too, after all it is rougher then chess.

p.s. If you think boxing is civilized and cultured please post again when as many MMAers die in their brutal and violent and uncivilized sport as pro-boxers in the past year.

#9 User is offline   rogue 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 09 November 2005 - 01:57 AM

It sounds like you have MMA confused with pro wrestling.

In the UFC the gi is banned, along with all other shirts. In Pride some competitors wear a gi. In King of the Cage (a B level MMA organization) some heavy weights like to wear t shirts to hide their less than impressive physique. Personally, I think the gi should be banned. As a Judoka, I know that the gi can be effectively used as a weapon, and can give one competitor an unfair advantage.

I don't think MMA is brutal. Yes, guys are hitting each other. People hit each other in America football, rugby, and boxing. People have died in all of these sports, but nobody has died in a sanctioned MMA fight. It is really not as dangerous as it may seem.

#10 User is offline   Hywel Teague 

• Pretty chilled
  • Icon

Posted 09 November 2005 - 01:58 AM

brutal... uncivilised... and i suppose judo is on a par with a nice sit down and a cup of tea?

i'm glad you're taking an objective viewpoint rather than dismissing it out of hand because of your personal preference.

theres no reason you should like it, anymore than I should like football (thats 'soccer' to you americanians). I find the amount of money those athletes get paid highly obscene and it puts me offthe sport- but I can still appreciate the athleticism and skill.
Making a living is not the same thing as making a life

Hywel Teague
Editor
www.fightersonlymag.com
hywelteague@hotmail.com

#11 User is offline   RightintheFace 

• Icon

Posted 09 November 2005 - 03:47 AM

1) As has been said, brutal is relative. Judoka throw each other on our heads! :)
2) What's wrong with prize fighting? Don't tell me there aren't incentives for winning Olympic gold.
3) some judoka trash talk, and many MMA practitioners don't. Again, relative
4) MMA is entertaining, but it's not entertainment. That's what WWE is for. This is no different than watching football.

Again, if it isn't your thing, that's fine. Just don't bash it.
I've heard that if you step on a badger, he'll keep going after your shoe until the only recourse is to take off your shoe and give it to him. I've given RITF a couple of shoes. -yoda.

I dont think you are a bigot just intolerant and void of compassion and understanding (perhaps?)-Akeru

#12 User is offline   Chilu 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 09 November 2005 - 05:03 AM

Serious injuries in mma are rare. Unlike boxing, there are ways to win that don't involve repeatedly punching eachother in the head (I have nothing against boxing, just pointing out that mma is safer). Also, there isn't an 8 count. If you go down and aren't defending yourself, it's over. I train with people who have fought both amateur and professional fights and the only injures from fights that I can think of are broken hands...

#13 User is offline   judogido 

• Aussie Bloke
  • Icon

Posted 09 November 2005 - 06:17 AM

StyxJudo, on Nov 9 2005, 12:59 AM, said:

Then I'll find myself thinking "Still not like a real fight. How often are two guys with no shirts going to scrap.

More often than they will be wearing a strong thick jacket.

It was almost a 40 degree day today. Guaranteed you'll see more people walking around in singlets, t-shirts & shorts than thicker jackets. Training in a gi-style doesnt exactly help you take control of someone wearing a darn singlet.

So no-gi is more realistic.

Now add the possibility of being kicked and punched as WELL as being taken down & grappled.

Neither pure judo, BJJ, kickboxing, sambo etc is going to prepare you for that. Combat Sambo maybe, MMA definitely.

#14 User is offline   Randell 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 09 November 2005 - 01:08 PM

What was the reasoning for banning the GI in UFC????????????
It is better to strike a blow with a crooked stick than to spend the rest of your life trying to straighten the darn thing out!!!

#15 User is offline   RightintheFace 

• Icon

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:13 PM

Randell, on Nov 9 2005, 01:08 PM, said:

What was the reasoning for banning the GI in UFC????????????

standardization of uniform to get the sanctioning bodies backing MMA. Don't think you can wear a wrestling singlet either. Fight shorts or SPRAWL-type board shorts. Or kickboxing trunks. That's it.

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked