• You cannot reply to this topic

Insurance in Spain/Canaries. Insurance for Judo/Jiu Jitsu Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   RayEdinburgh 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

Hi all,
My family and I are relocating to Lanzarote in the Canary Islands, this coming April. The plan is to teach both Judo and Jiu Jitsu, predominantly to the large ex pat community with kids classes being the primary target audience (as with any successful club!).
I have spoken to people involved in the Canarian Federation, who have said that they only register new clubs in Januaries, and you have to be there to do so.
Whilst I will once there be able to register myself and have grades etc crossed over, the opening and running of a club/clubs will hopefully be our primary source of income. Hense whilst we wait until the following January to register a Judo club I planned to get the Jiu Jitsu club up and running, the problem is finding insurance cover in Spain. I have a couple of UK based international Jujitsu Associations whom I could work with, to organise licence books, courses, competitions etc, but neither can provide Instructor and Student insurance cover for Spain.
I have trawled through the web looking but have had no luck at all.
If anyone here has any info, or indeed links with an insuring body in either Spain or the Canaries that can offer adequate insurance, or knows of somewhere I could get organised with it before we actually get on the ground I would be very grateful.
I can be contacted via the email address lanzarotejudo@hotmail.com the website www.lanzarotejudo.com or the Facebook page www.facebook.com/lanzarotejudo
Thanks in advance for any assistance

Saludos cordiials

Ray Sheerin 6th Dan.
www.edinburghbushido.com
Edinburgh Bushido Judo & Jujitsu Youtube Channel

Live for today, for tomorrow is promised to no man "George Sheerin"
Be proud to be seen! Your a Royal Marine. "William Doyle"

#2 User is offline   bob thomas 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

View PostRayEdinburgh, on 21 December 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

Hi all,
My family and I are relocating to Lanzarote in the Canary Islands, this coming April. The plan is to teach both Judo and Jiu Jitsu, predominantly to the large ex pat community with kids classes being the primary target audience (as with any successful club!).
I have spoken to people involved in the Canarian Federation, who have said that they only register new clubs in Januaries, and you have to be there to do so.
Whilst I will once there be able to register myself and have grades etc crossed over, the opening and running of a club/clubs will hopefully be our primary source of income. Hense whilst we wait until the following January to register a Judo club I planned to get the Jiu Jitsu club up and running, the problem is finding insurance cover in Spain. I have a couple of UK based international Jujitsu Associations whom I could work with, to organise licence books, courses, competitions etc, but neither can provide Instructor and Student insurance cover for Spain.
I have trawled through the web looking but have had no luck at all.
If anyone here has any info, or indeed links with an insuring body in either Spain or the Canaries that can offer adequate insurance, or knows of somewhere I could get organised with it before we actually get on the ground I would be very grateful.
I can be contacted via the email address lanzarotejudo@hotmail.com the website www.lanzarotejudo.com or the Facebook page www.facebook.com/lanzarotejudo
Thanks in advance for any assistance
Saludos cordiials
Ray Sheerin 6th Dan.

#3 User is offline   bob thomas 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

Andy told me you were going to the Canary Islands.Just to let you know that I wish you every success and I am sure things will go well for you.
My very best wishes.
Bob

#4 User is offline   Dew 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon
  • Group: Validating

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

You could always teach BJJ and focus on the "standup" lol. I used to live in Tenerife and Barcelona - the Spanish haven't been infected as much with this American "claim culture" like we have in the UK . Remember this is a country where they get drunk, then at about 4 in the morning release a herd of wild bulls onto the street for fun (after parading cows in heat inf ront of them to wind them up first) - health and safety isn't like it is here and people are fairly relaxed . Im not saying dont cover yourself - but you will find a way round it easy enough - you shouldn't have to wait a whole year especially once people get to know you - unless of course your teaching on someones "patch"- disfruta !

This post has been edited by Dew: 21 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

#5 User is offline   RayEdinburgh 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

Hiya Bob,
Thank you very much sir. I appreciate that.

Hiya Dew
Regard Bjj, there's a couple of Brazillian black belts on the island already and I'm not qualified. Only in JJJ, I know the claim cultures not the same, but we've worked hard for years to be able to afford to move out there, last thing we need is that one in a million claim and lost it all, as in all things I try to use the 7 p's proper planning and preperation prevents piss poor performance! A maxim to live life by.
www.edinburghbushido.com

#6 User is offline   Dew 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon
  • Group: Validating

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

I understand - its not worth the risk . However Im pretty sure if you get to know the local Judo community they will find a way round for you. Great move by the way - the temperature constantly hovers between 18 - 25 degrees even in winter !
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

#7 User is offline   Kojai 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Good Luck with your new business.

Try to contact with Antonio Ramirez, Costa Teguise Judo Clubs coach (antonioramirez@clubdejudocostateguise.com or puenart@hotmail.com) a really nice guy (as most "Canarios"). The club is in Lanzarote too, so you will be near enough to colaborate. Where exactly are you planing to open the Club?

#8 User is offline   RayEdinburgh 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

Hi Kojai,
Yes totaly agree, Antonia has been super nice, I've spoke to him several times, and will definatly go and train with them when we get there.
At the moment we don't have a definate place, though we plan to live in Tiaz/PDC.
Obviously i don't want to tread on another clubs toes, so the initial intention is to cater to the ex pats on the island (around 6000) the last thing an existing club wants or needs is another club opening on their doorstep so i'll play it by ear and find the right place when we get there, and hope to work with rather than against the existing clubs, after all we are the foriegners, and i intend to join the Canarian federation and hope to help enhance the existing Judo on the island. Having spoken to a good deal of Brits out there it seems we could fill a niche.
My Spanish at the moment though is limited, though not for a lack of study, it will take time to become fluent when we get out there. Hense part of the reason for finding difficulty. The British Judo Association are in contrast very easy to get in touch with, and transferance of grades from other IJF countries is very easy as is opening a new club, so far it seems a lot more difficult in Spain/The Canaries.
Thanks though for the reply, as always any and all help or advice is gratfully recieved

Saludos Cordials

Ray.
www.edinburghbushido.com

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic