• You cannot reply to this topic

I had my first competition yesterday Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Spaceghost 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Hi,

I experienced my first competition yesterday, it was an interesting bur tiring experience. Unfortunately I was not happy with my performance, I won the first match through a disqualification due to leg grab, and then my second match I got held down and lost, and then in my third match I was disqualified myself for a leg grab (it was a follow up attack but the referees thought differently). I won't lie, it is pretty frustrating that I have been doing judo for several years and yet I was beaten by people doing it for a few months. I really want to improve but I need guidance in which areas to target but my coach didn't really give me any feedback. My little finger is quite swollen and stiff today so I think I will have to skip judo for a week until it recovers.

#2 User is offline   judoratt 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:10 AM

Great job Spaceghost it takes alot of courage to get out there, your competition will get better. My advice on your finger suck it up and get to practice and do what you can.

#4 User is offline   Raj Venugopal 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

Tape the finger. Go to practice. Suffer on the mat.
Train harder. Dig deeper. Then you'll win. Even if you lose, you win.

#5 User is offline   Dutch 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

Competition is a different thing than randori or kata. It takes practise to get good at. What I see happening a lot is people start to train differently after having experienced shiai. Something quite positive I might add. Train most specifically for your game and come back next competition.
Bushi no nasake - the tenderness of a warrior

#6 User is offline   Spaceghost 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

I rarely throw people in randori either though, so it's not really a surprise. I'm always trying to wait for the right moment to throw but it rarely comes and so my attack rate is pretty low, maybe I just need to attack more. I knew I had to attack more in shiai or I will get a warning. But still, I do feel a bit renewed now in terms of taking randori more seriously. I always want to go to some of these training days/camps so I can learn under some other instructors to get some variety.

#7 User is offline   spiderdom1985 

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

i recenly had my first comp and didnt do as well as i wanted.before hand my coach took me through a gameplan and i felt confident.he also said that as soon as i get on the mat u forget every thing you,ve learnt in your first comp but assumed he was jokin. lo and behold as soon as i stepped on and hajime called my mind went blank i couldnt decide wot grip i wanted wot throw to attempt i just went blank. well my first match lasted 15 seconds and my second 2 minutes both lost by ippon i was gutted. my coach said it took guts to get out there after only training for 3 months but i cant wait for my next one and hopefully i win at least one match:)

#8 User is offline   Dutch 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

View Postspiderdom1985, on 27 November 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

i recenly had my first comp and didnt do as well as i wanted.before hand my coach took me through a gameplan and i felt confident.he also said that as soon as i get on the mat u forget every thing you,ve learnt in your first comp but assumed he was jokin. lo and behold as soon as i stepped on and hajime called my mind went blank i couldnt decide wot grip i wanted wot throw to attempt i just went blank. well my first match lasted 15 seconds and my second 2 minutes both lost by ippon i was gutted. my coach said it took guts to get out there after only training for 3 months but i cant wait for my next one and hopefully i win at least one match:)

Drill the first 10 seconds of your match from rye to grips and first movement. Do that 20x or more. The rest will come natural after that.
Bushi no nasake - the tenderness of a warrior

#9 User is offline   genetic judoka 

• Honorary Forum Woohooshidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:43 AM

View PostDutch, on 27 November 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

Drill the first 10 seconds of your match from rye to grips and first movement. Do that 20x or more. The rest will come natural after that.

20x? 20,000x is more like it.
"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

"Wise men don't need to prove their point. Men who need to prove their point aren't wise" -Lao Tzu

"When torrential waters move a massive boulder, it is because of momentum.
When a hawk’s strike breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing." -Sun Tzu

"The Way of strategy is the Way of nature. When you appreciate the power of nature, knowing the rhythm of any situation,
you will be able to hit the enemy naturally and strike naturally. All this is the Way of the Void." -Miyamoto Musashi

#10 User is offline   Dew 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon
  • Group: Validating

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

View PostSpaceghost, on 26 November 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

attack more

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

#11 User is offline   Mick 

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Well done for going and competing dude.

Keep training hard and work on the areas that you felt let you down during the comp.
Get out and compete as soon as you can, the more you do it the better you'll get. Don't be discouraged at all.

#12 User is offline   luckycharms 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

It gets better man. I've been in Judo for going on 4 years now, started competing (and often I might add) in my first year and I'm just starting to get a feel for Shiai right now. First thing's first is to just train and improve. Don't worry about strategy right now that comes later when you're developed your own personal style. Train with a wide variety of judoka, and in randori try out new throws/sets ups in each session rather than just your "go-to" throws.
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

#13 User is offline   Spaceghost 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Well, I had my second competition 2 days ago. There were only 3 people including myself in my pool which was disappointing, I lost both matches unfortunately. I think I need to work on committing to my throws and try and power through it in competition.

I will win a match one day!!!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic