• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A book you might enjoy The Second Life of Judo Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Richard Riehle 

• Visitor from Planet Salo in the Crab Nebula
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:36 AM

Just finished a pleasant little book by Alan Rafkind titled, The Second Life of Judo. It is partly autobiographical, and parltly philosophical. I think many of my Judo friends might also enjoy it.

Title: The Second Life of Judo
Author: Alan Rafkind
Publisher: Farfallina Press. www.mlgpubgrpup.com.
ISBN: 978-0-9845507-5-3
Price: $14.00. USD

Everyone Judoka has a story to tell of their life in Judo. Mr. Rafkin tells his story well.

#2 User is offline   genetic judoka 

• Honorary Forum Woohooshidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:39 AM

View PostRichard Riehle, on 30 August 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

Everyone Judoka has a story to tell of their life in Judo. Mr. Rafkin tells his story well.

when are you gonna write a book about yours? I guarantee a fair handful of us here on the forum will buy it. suddenly you've got a fair amount of time on your hands with your foot injury, maybe it's worth some thought.
"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

"Wise men don't need to prove their point. Men who need to prove their point aren't wise" -Lao Tzu

"When torrential waters move a massive boulder, it is because of momentum.
When a hawk’s strike breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing." -Sun Tzu

"The Way of strategy is the Way of nature. When you appreciate the power of nature, knowing the rhythm of any situation,
you will be able to hit the enemy naturally and strike naturally. All this is the Way of the Void." -Miyamoto Musashi

#3 User is offline   Richard Riehle 

• Visitor from Planet Salo in the Crab Nebula
  • Icon

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:39 AM

View Postgenetic judoka, on 30 August 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

when are you gonna write a book about yours? I guarantee a fair handful of us here on the forum will buy it. suddenly you've got a fair amount of time on your hands with your foot injury, maybe it's worth some thought.

Actually, I am working on it.

This post has been edited by Richard Riehle: 31 August 2012 - 01:41 AM

#4 User is offline   charlie 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

I am always after non-technical Judo books, so thank you! I have just ordered this Alan Rafkind book. I will definitely buy yours when it is done
Judo in Toormina, Woolgoolga and Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia

#5 User is offline   Doctor Horrible 

• "Consulting Genius"
  • Icon

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

View PostRichard Riehle, on 31 August 2012 - 12:36 AM, said:

Just finished a pleasant little book by Alan Rafkind titled, The Second Life of Judo. It is partly autobiographical, and parltly philosophical. I think many of my Judo friends might also enjoy it.

Title: The Second Life of Judo
Author: Alan Rafkind
Publisher: Farfallina Press. www.mlgpubgrpup.com.
ISBN: 978-0-9845507-5-3
Price: $14.00. USD

Perhaps, but I have no real idea of what the book is about nor the style of writing etc. It would be lovely if Mr Rafkin provided a sample or two.

It would also be lovely if a kindle version was offered.

Well, I will write to the author and ask! I will also notify him of this thread, should he wish to participate.

This post has been edited by Doctor Horrible: 31 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
---H.L. Mencken

#6 User is offline   RayEdinburgh 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

Looks like a good read, from the website. So just ordered a copy, will do nicely while I lie at the poolside in Lanzarote!
www.edinburghbushido.com
Edinburgh Bushido Judo & Jujitsu Youtube Channel

Live for today, for tomorrow is promised to no man "George Sheerin"
Be proud to be seen! Your a Royal Marine. "William Doyle"

#7 User is offline   Doctor Horrible 

• "Consulting Genius"
  • Icon

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

For what it's worth:

I contacted the author and invited him here to say a few words, but it turns out that the forum software is proving problematic. I've offered to copy and paste his comments here should he wish for me to send them on.

Mr Rafkind has also mentioned that he's looking into a digital edition for those Kindle fans (such as myself). Don't let that stop you from ordering the physical product now, though.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
---H.L. Mencken

#8 User is offline   Doctor Horrible 

• "Consulting Genius"
  • Icon

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:08 AM

Here's a brief message from Alan. (Could someone be of assistance in helping Alan sign up - the forum software keeps failing to send him confirmation email etc).

Hi my name is Al Rafkind. I just wrote my first book call The Second Life Of Judo. I appreciate the request to stop by this forum. ITS AN HONOR. I will be glad to answer any questions that anyone on the forum may have about the book.

The Second Life Of Judo really wrote itself to be quite honest. It was 3 yrs of effortless effort so to speak. I enjoyed the writing process itself. When a serious nerve injury sidelined my participation on the mat I found a special way to give back to the Judo community that has given me so much! As you all know- Judo teaches us so much more then good technique and Japanese words and how to defend ourselves....... Its lessons about life and 'growing up' are invaluable. The principles that are at the very core of playing Judo can enhance the quality of anyone's life no matter what difficult situation one finds themselves face to face with. This is the message of The Second Life Of Judo.

Alan Rafkind
The Second Life Of Judo

www.thesecondlifeofjudo.com

al@thesecondlifeofjudo.com

This post has been edited by Doctor Horrible: 03 September 2012 - 08:12 AM

---H.L. Mencken

#9 User is offline   Doctor Horrible 

• "Consulting Genius"
  • Icon

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

Alan forwarded me some brief samples. Please enjoy - and thanks to Richard for what seems like an interesting read.

"The First Life of Judo is played out with thousands of repetitions and the quest for students to become athletic champions. This life is more concerned with patches of victory sewed onto a uniform, and trophies added to a shelf. If you are lucky, the First Life of Judo will last 35 years, and, if you are not so lucky, it will last a lifetime". (pg. 1)

"There is an unspoken language between partners that says, “Thank you for being here for me to push, pull, hook, sweep, block, lift, and twist. I will do the very same for you in return.” (pg. 6)

"It can be said that the deeper the color belt the practitioners wear, the deeper they have opened their hearts to compassion and kindness" (pg. 7)

"The judogi material is made from very strongly stitched fibers. The gi is made to endure years of pulling, twisting, gripping and friction. Consequently, the human skin is no match for a gi. When playing Judo, we are reminded of this difference over and over again, as we learn to quit trying to control our partner and their movements. A gi burn looks like a four-inch welt or abrasion on the skin. Resist your partner’s movements too much and you will get burnt; and if your partner is strong, you will bleed. A judogi burn goes away in a few days, and we get another chance to recognize the need to relax and move fluidly with our partner’s energy and weight". (pg. 13)

"By nature, Judo is physical, and the dynamics of the sport are extremely complex to master. Judo play is rooted in anatomy, physiology and engineering. The transfer of energy between two individuals dictates all the movements. We become much like containers that capture and receive flowing water,and then these same containers become upright, spilling over at the right time and at the right angle. The water in this example above symbolizes an opponent’s body weight and energy. This is the philosophy behind all movements in Judo. This philosophy has everything to do with abiding and yielding to a partner’s energy, and nothing to do with controlling him. This is why the word Judo translates as ‘The Gentle Way.’ (pg. 15)

The Second Life Of Judo is a short and easy read (total 78 pgs). Hopefully the above sample sections from the beginning of the book give a good taste of the material and whats to come on the following pgs.

This post has been edited by Doctor Horrible: 03 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

---H.L. Mencken

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic