• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Undershirts in the Kodokan Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sukai1 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:45 AM

Why in the Kodokan that men are not allowed to wear undershirts? I can understand the blue gi issue, but undershirts are just comfortable and can protect your skin. Can anyone elaborate on this regulation? Thank you.

#2 User is offline   Emanuele 

• Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:05 AM

I think is just a dress code; even in ju jitsu (Japanese) during stages ecc, undershirts aren't allowed for men.

#3 User is offline   Jonesy 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

View PostSukai1, on 31 May 2012 - 07:45 AM, said:

Why in the Kodokan that men are not allowed to wear undershirts? I can understand the blue gi issue, but undershirts are just comfortable and can protect your skin. Can anyone elaborate on this regulation? Thank you.

Undershirts are not needed, not necessary and not part of judo. No male needs them - in the Kodokan or elsewhere.

If undershirts, why not gloves, why not head guards? Mind you, I used to compete against a US -86kg player who always used to wear a head guard. Somehow it was allowed for him!!!
Dr Llyr C Jones

#4 User is offline   Sukai1 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

You make a good point Jonesy.

I have trained both with and without undershirts. I now only use undershirts. They are good for protecting your skin and help with the profuse sweating encountered in Judo training. I see the use of undershirts as not a big deal and would not interfere in the practice of judo.

Gloves would help protect your skin but I think there would be loss in grip and sensitivity.

Head gear would help prevent injuries but may encourage dangerous actions and stray from Judo's original purpose. Not to mention that it would just look plain silly and would not be good for the spectator aspect of judo.

#5 User is offline   yabanjames 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

Why don't you email the International Department at the Kodokan and ask them? intl@kodokan.org

It would be interesting to hear their response. I'm sure it would be along the lines of what Jonesy says, but it could be most edifying to get their official explanation. :manoyes:
"Si vis pacem, para bellum." -- Vegetius
"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -- Thucydides

#6 User is offline   BomberH 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:15 AM

View PostSukai1, on 31 May 2012 - 07:45 AM, said:

undershirts are just comfortable and can protect your skin.

Who on earth worries about protecting the skin on their chest when someone is trying to pick them up and smash them through the floor or choke them unconscious?

#7 User is offline   ThePieman 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

View PostBomberH, on 31 May 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

Who on earth worries about protecting the skin on their chest when someone is trying to pick them up and smash them through the floor or choke them unconscious?

3rd nipple I reckon.........

http://judo.forumsmotion.com/

"It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer"
Albert Einstein."jinsei no koro wa tada itsu aru nomi" Jigoro Kano"You wanna roll? Posted Image" WBWAndering

#8 User is offline   Robert Medkwai 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

protect the skin =/, i wore one for 3 or 4 sessions and just felt i started sweating quicker =s

#9 User is offline   goutetsu 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

I know tradition means that males shouldn’t wear t-shirts under their judogi – but I do for training and coaching for two reasons:

1.It keeps the judogi much cleaner – helps prevent the ‘yellowing’ inside that occurs (and yes I do wash my judogi after every training session) – just compare a males jacket inside to a females and look at the difference.

2.It’s just more expected these days – children and parents don’t want to see it – the British Judo Association received complaints a while back from schools reporting that students had seen the instructors chest.

I never wear a blue judogi for coaching though!

#10 User is offline   Tafftaz 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

View Postgoutetsu, on 31 May 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

It’s just more expected these days – children and parents don’t want to see it – the British Judo Association received complaints a while back from schools reporting that students had seen the instructors chest.

If people want to wear undershirts at judo then fine. Their choice, but this above quote borders on the ridiculous. Not that I am saying that the poster is ridiculous,but that anybody complaining to the BJA about seeing a male chest below a gi is ridiculous. I teach judo as part of a school syllabus and never had a problem like this.
Parents looking for a problem where none exist.
I will not agree that wearing undershirts is more expected these days though.

#11 User is offline   NBK 

• Just happy to be here....
  • Icon

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

View Postgoutetsu, on 31 May 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

.....– children and parents don’t want to see it – the British Judo Association received complaints a while back from schools reporting that students had seen the instructors chest.

Oh, no, not a man's chest?! :blink:

The sun has set on the Empire.

<_<

柔能制剛 - 弱能制強
黄石公三略 上略

#12 User is offline   goutetsu 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

View PostNBK, on 31 May 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

Oh, no, not a man's chest?! :blink:

The sun has set on the Empire.

<_<

I don't think that seeing a man's chest will traumatise a child :big grin: - but judo coaches should be aware that schools and parents do complain about things like this, these days.....

I also wear (compression) shorts under my judogi trousers so that getting changed in front of people is not an issue - I advise my players to do this so that they can get changed matside if they need to without event organisers having a go at them.

This post has been edited by goutetsu: 31 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

#13 User is offline   7thCuil 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

I suppose some men might simply not be particularly comfortable with showing their chests and stomachs, which in principle at least is fair enough and unlike some things people might not want to do, I can't see an undershirt being a hindrance to training. But there are plenty of other things that might make judo more 'comfortable' (shoes, anyone? :P ) and to allow all of those would fast move towards the ridiculous, simplicity can be a very good thing; and as far as Judo-related health concerns go, a rash from exposed skin is probably the least of ones worries. Perhaps the question is, are undershirts for men necessary?

I do wear clothing under my gi, and plan to continue to do so, but since I'm female I have not yet been asked to justify this. -_-

Interesting topic, I look forward to reading the answers put forward.

This post has been edited by Lystra: 31 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

"If I could get a grip on reality, I'd strangle it."

"Haecceity hek-see'i-tee, n (Latin, from haec, this) - The aspect of existence on which individuality depends; the hereness and nowness of reality. First coined by the philosopher Duns Scotus, haecceity is that sense one gets of being in the present tense, the pure experience of a single moment in time. No other word has such subtle connotations. In addition, it sounds and looks very interesting." From http://phrontistery.info .

"Jimmy was a chemist, now Jimmy is no more. For what he thought was H2O, was H2SO4."

"Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur."

#14 User is offline   bythesea 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

View Postgoutetsu, on 31 May 2012 - 03:20 AM, said:

I2.It’s just more expected these days – children and parents don’t want to see it – the British Judo Association received complaints a while back from schools reporting that students had seen the instructors chest.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. I'd say it weren't true if sadly I hadn't witnessed similar things here in the U.S.

What's next hijab? We wear ALREADY wear a shirt. It's called a judogi. So now we must wear a shirt under our shirt? Should I wear pants under my underpants?

What doesn't make any sense to me is that you go to the beach and you don't expect men to be wearing shirts.

See you at the beach! Tut. Tut. Cheerie-o.

Posted Image
Kuchiwaza -- my tokuiwaza.

#15 User is offline   Jonesy 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

As a great poster on this Forum once said, "an undershirt in judo is like a TV on honeymoon - not necessary...."
Dr Llyr C Jones

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic