#16 User is offline   ThePieman 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

Nicely done GJ :manoyes:

http://judo.forumsmotion.com/

"It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer"
Albert Einstein."jinsei no koro wa tada itsu aru nomi" Jigoro Kano"You wanna roll? Posted Image" WBWAndering

#17 User is offline   billc 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

The initials GJ could mean so many things ... goofy jerk, gone to jail, gabby judge ... please feel free to add, I work nights and have not had my coffee yet thing morning.

But today the Scrabble board comes up with Good Job!

Now the process of watching this belt get shorter and shorter. :lol:

Best of luck to you. Gambare!

This post has been edited by billc: 10 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

#18 User is offline   slacker 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

View Postjudoka_uk, on 10 May 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

Congratulations, well deserved.

All the other brown belts in your club try and take your head off every randori to prove that they're just as good as you're.

yup. and you will be tempted to be sucked into that game. to 'prove' that you deserve that rank. its another test for your self but i'm sure you will pass it with flying colors!!
I am not an instructor. All posts are personal opinion based on experience.

#19 User is offline   Francois 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

Well done and now the journey begins.
"The arts of peace and the arts of war are like two wheels of a cart which, lacking one, will have difficulty in standing."�Kuroda Nagamasa (1568-1623)

"In battle, if you you make your opponent flinch, you have already won." --- Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)

#20 User is offline   Neil G 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

Omedetou gozaimasu!

#21 User is offline   JoshuaResnick 

• Its Okay. My wife thinks I am a fool too.
  • Icon

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

i am happy to see you have earned shodan...

now, what are you going do with it? what adventure are you seeking through judo? you get to pick...

do you want to go off and see just what you have and how much you can tolerate? show the club mates youve been training with just what their help and guidance has given you the guts and desire to take on?

what have you got to lose? you can take a good fall and tap when it hurts...

GO! GO! GO! The 1-year Judo Program at the International Budo University (IBU), aka "Budo." Kashiwazaki is back there now, not that he will care to stop the punishment his players will undoubtedly dole out upon you-- and all the others who enter the program... But, you'll learn Japanese and get college credit for it on top of the incredible level of Judo which you have never experienced anything like before. You'll come back understanding the spirit of budo, understanding the culture of Judo far more so, with lifelong friends from far away, a potential shift in careers now that you can speak Japanese too, and a skill level that will shock everybody else you know now.

Plus, it isn't expensive. Every dime you pay up front they give back to you on a monthly basis. I know about 6 or 7 guys who have done it... Some loved it, some hated it... every one of them came back tough, good, and "changed."
"When life backs you onto the ropes, remember Ali and the Rope-A-Dope." -joshua resnick

#22 User is offline   genetic judoka 

• Honorary Forum Woohooshidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

thanks dutch, judoratt, judoka uk, pieman, bill, ptnippon, neil, and josh.

the brown belt randori pace increase already started happening last night. I did not allow them to suck me into going harder than my current physical state would say is safe (rib still nowhere near 100%).

josh, you have given me a lot to think about, not just for IBU which I am reading about right now and actually considering (speaking of which what is your definition of inexpensive? I'm having a hard time navigating the page), but where I want my judo to take me in general. I guess I have a lot of soul searching to do.
"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

"Wise men don't need to prove their point. Men who need to prove their point aren't wise" -Lao Tzu

"When torrential waters move a massive boulder, it is because of momentum.
When a hawk’s strike breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing." -Sun Tzu

"The Way of strategy is the Way of nature. When you appreciate the power of nature, knowing the rhythm of any situation,
you will be able to hit the enemy naturally and strike naturally. All this is the Way of the Void." -Miyamoto Musashi

#23 User is offline   Neil G 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

If you're considering IBU, check out this thread on Kendo World. It's about the kendo program there but a lot of the same stuff applies I imagine.

#24 User is offline   JoshuaResnick 

• Its Okay. My wife thinks I am a fool too.
  • Icon

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

View Postgenetic judoka, on 10 May 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

thanks dutch, judoratt, judoka uk, pieman, bill, ptnippon, neil, and josh.

the brown belt randori pace increase already started happening last night. I did not allow them to suck me into going harder than my current physical state would say is safe (rib still nowhere near 100%).

josh, you have given me a lot to think about, not just for IBU which I am reading about right now and actually considering (speaking of which what is your definition of inexpensive? I'm having a hard time navigating the page), but where I want my judo to take me in general. I guess I have a lot of soul searching to do.

PM me and I will put you in contact with the people who can give you all the details.
"When life backs you onto the ropes, remember Ali and the Rope-A-Dope." -joshua resnick

#25 User is offline   loudenvier 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

CONGRATULATIONS! You're just born to judo now.
My professional portfolio
feliperochamachado.com.br

My technical blog
insomniae cōdex

#26 User is offline   judogido 

• Aussie Bloke
  • Icon

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

Well Done!

Enjoy the buzz when you look down at your black belt...

#27 User is offline   7thCuil 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

Congratulations, Genetic Judoka! :manoyes:
"If I could get a grip on reality, I'd strangle it."

"Haecceity hek-see'i-tee, n (Latin, from haec, this) - The aspect of existence on which individuality depends; the hereness and nowness of reality. First coined by the philosopher Duns Scotus, haecceity is that sense one gets of being in the present tense, the pure experience of a single moment in time. No other word has such subtle connotations. In addition, it sounds and looks very interesting." From http://phrontistery.info .

"Jimmy was a chemist, now Jimmy is no more. For what he thought was H2O, was H2SO4."

"Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur."

#28 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

congrats! Wear it well, and with a touch of humility
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

#29 User is offline   Ben Reinhardt 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:43 AM

View Postgenetic judoka, on 10 May 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

Posted Image

It's funny, when I first started judo I thought that getting my black belt would be the happiest day of my life, and that I would be some super skilled awesome judoka. now that I have it I realize it's just a step along the path, and there's a lot more ahead of me on that path than there is behind me. I considered posting this in the yudanshakai section, but frankly the beginning judo section seemed more appropriate.

Congratulations, Jason, keep up the good work!

#30 User is offline   genetic judoka 

• Honorary Forum Woohooshidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

thank you loudenvier, stacey, Lystra, judogido, and ben.

View Postjudogido, on 10 May 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

Enjoy the buzz when you look down at your black belt...

this post could have gone equally well in the judo and beer thread!
"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

"Wise men don't need to prove their point. Men who need to prove their point aren't wise" -Lao Tzu

"When torrential waters move a massive boulder, it is because of momentum.
When a hawk’s strike breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing." -Sun Tzu

"The Way of strategy is the Way of nature. When you appreciate the power of nature, knowing the rhythm of any situation,
you will be able to hit the enemy naturally and strike naturally. All this is the Way of the Void." -Miyamoto Musashi

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic