• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Body weight vs Weight lifting Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   RagingDemon 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:09 AM

I can lift heavy all day doing various exercises focusing on my chest and back. I can row and bench heavy and be sore for like a day. If I do medium weights I won't feel a thing. I've tried doing medium weights medium reps, medium weights high reps, heavy weights medium reps, heavy weights low reps.

On days where I can work out but it's late in the evening I choose to stay home because the gym is overcrowded. So while at home I either aim fro atleast 200 reps or atleast 12 burn out sets of each exercise consisting of push ups and pull ups and I am sore for almost 2 weeks. Anyone else have this type situation? I just can't seem to find that muscle shock for those particular muscle groups (chest and back) weightlifting. I feel like I was an inmate in san Quentin in another life.

#2 User is offline   Sukai1 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

While yes they are same muscle groups they require different kinds of muscles. You have probably focused on you anaerobic muscles in the gym with heavy lifting, which gives you burst power, but have probably neglected your aerobic muscles that are used for endurance. Those groups will improve the more endurance related exercises you do.

Furthermore, Push ups and Pull ups are great full-body exercises that require many muscle groups to work together. So it is possible that there are certain muscles that you have not trained in the gym that are required for those exercises. For example push ups not only require your breast muscles but also your core muscles.

#3 User is offline   silverjudo 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

The issue doesn't have to do with aerobic or anaroebic(slow twitch and fast twitch muscles, more accurately), but with the movements themselves. Benching and rowing are not the same as pushups and pullups. The movement differs, and the speed and volume you're using is differing as well. When you train with mid-heavy weights, your body responds by getting stronger for mid-heavy weights at the tempo that you lift. When you change anything in your routine, your body needs to adjust and may become sore due to the muscle damage incurred by changing the routine. Even just changing the hand position or speed of your bench press can lead to significant soreness.

If you were doing bodyweight exercises all the time, and then lifting heavy intermittently, you would be okay after your bw exercises but very sore after heavy lifting.

Sukai, heavy lifting doesn't necessarily increase 'burst power'. Training power builds explosive power, which is generally done at about 30-60% of the weight used in heavy lifts. Though lifting heavy does build a good foundation for training power movements.

#4 User is offline   bythesea 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

Raging, one idea is you could find a lower bar where your feet can touch to provide a bit of support so you can slowly up the resistance. At my park the bars are progressive height which comes in handy.
Kuchiwaza -- my tokuiwaza.

#5 User is offline   genetic judoka 

• Honorary Forum Woohooshidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:43 AM

View Postbythesea, on 25 April 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

Raging, one idea is you could find a lower bar where your feet can touch to provide a bit of support so you can slowly up the resistance. At my park the bars are progressive height which comes in handy.

some of us can touch the floor no matter which bar we use. it's actually kinda lame ALWAYS having to do my pullups with my knees bent.
"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

"Wise men don't need to prove their point. Men who need to prove their point aren't wise" -Lao Tzu

"When torrential waters move a massive boulder, it is because of momentum.
When a hawk’s strike breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing." -Sun Tzu

"The Way of strategy is the Way of nature. When you appreciate the power of nature, knowing the rhythm of any situation,
you will be able to hit the enemy naturally and strike naturally. All this is the Way of the Void." -Miyamoto Musashi

#6 User is offline   RagingDemon 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:38 AM

View Postgenetic judoka, on 25 April 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

some of us can touch the floor no matter which bar we use. it's actually kinda lame ALWAYS having to do my pullups with my knees bent.

Man, you'd probably do incline push ups on my pull up bar. :lol:

This post has been edited by RagingDemon: 26 April 2012 - 04:38 AM

#7 User is offline   Darshu 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

View Postgenetic judoka, on 25 April 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

Well, you don't have to bend your knees.
Posted Image
John Schneider
JudoFitness.com

1. The Body is One Piece
2. There are three kinds of strength training:
• Putting weight overhead
• Picking it off the ground
• Carrying it for time or distance
3. All training is complementary.
-Dan John

#8 User is offline   PtWhiteBelt 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

Why are you under the impression that soreness is a good sign?

#9 User is offline   genetic judoka 

• Honorary Forum Woohooshidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

View PostDarshu, on 27 April 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:

Well, you don't have to bend your knees.
Posted Image

way to make me feel like a sissy.
"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

"Wise men don't need to prove their point. Men who need to prove their point aren't wise" -Lao Tzu

"When torrential waters move a massive boulder, it is because of momentum.
When a hawk’s strike breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing." -Sun Tzu

"The Way of strategy is the Way of nature. When you appreciate the power of nature, knowing the rhythm of any situation,
you will be able to hit the enemy naturally and strike naturally. All this is the Way of the Void." -Miyamoto Musashi

#10 User is offline   up-and-over! 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

Lol life wouldn't be the same with out GJ
I <3 Judo

#11 User is offline   RagingDemon 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

View PostPtWhiteBelt, on 27 April 2012 - 04:48 AM, said:

Why are you under the impression that soreness is a good sign?

Don't know actually. I always assumed soreness leads to hypertrophey and such. Please explain.

#12 User is offline   Matthew Jones 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

Do you add weight to each workout RagingDemon? If you do the same weight each workout you will not get sore because your body has adapted to that load.

#13 User is offline   RagingDemon 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

View PostMatthew Jones, on 27 April 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

Do you add weight to each workout RagingDemon? If you do the same weight each workout you will not get sore because your body has adapted to that load.

Yeah I do.

#14 User is offline   PtWhiteBelt 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:31 AM

View PostRagingDemon, on 27 April 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

Don't know actually. I always assumed soreness leads to hypertrophey and such. Please explain.

There is no direct connection between gains (especially hypertrophy or maximal strength) and soreness. DOMS is much more probable with high-repetition workouts, but everyone knows that's not how you become bigger nor stronger.

#15 User is offline   kevsooner 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:26 AM

View PostRagingDemon, on 24 April 2012 - 11:09 PM, said:

I can lift heavy all day doing various exercises focusing on my chest and back. I can row and bench heavy and be sore for like a day. If I do medium weights I won't feel a thing. I've tried doing medium weights medium reps, medium weights high reps, heavy weights medium reps, heavy weights low reps.

On days where I can work out but it's late in the evening I choose to stay home because the gym is overcrowded. So while at home I either aim fro atleast 200 reps or atleast 12 burn out sets of each exercise consisting of push ups and pull ups and I am sore for almost 2 weeks. Anyone else have this type situation? I just can't seem to find that muscle shock for those particular muscle groups (chest and back) weightlifting. I feel like I was an inmate in san Quentin in another life.

Why are you sore???? Maybe performing 200 reps or 12 burn out sets.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic