• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ramblings Getting on in and with life. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Hanon 

• Judo Forum Shichidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

Where does time go? Seems like only yesterday I was taking the line up for my sho dan that was 42 years ago, OUCH. I was thinking this moring of some of the things I have been through and seen myself on this travel of ours.

Harada sensei, a great legend in karatedo, was part of an international seminar in the early 70's? Harada sensei is a small man with no great precence about him. He is just a karatedo sensei and one in a life time.
At this seminar was another great karatedo sensei who I will not name, lets call him TS. During the seminar TS lined up, chest to back, a number of karate pupils. I cant recall the exact number it seems to grow with age! It looked like 15 so lets say 8...he had the first man in the line hold a puch bag of sorts and after some minute of silent contemplation then breathing, TS hit this puch bag so hard the first 70% of the line went down or staggered back. I thought this was bloody great stuff, the suff of legends.

Harada sensei took the same line up and asked for a judoka to be placed at the end? I was going to go for it being so young and totaly bloody stupid :rolleyes: . I was fortunately standing next to my sensei who gently, without moving, took my arm and slightly shook his head. I was pi55ed. Some other judoka took the last persons position. With absolutley no cermony Harada sensei hit the bag and seconds latter this last guy flew back rolling over the tatami nearly ending in the changing rooms. No one else in the line moved? I was simply stunned at this 'magic show'.

I have never seen such things since those days and wonder of those skills will die with them? They are certainly not in me.

Though I have been practicing judo for 50 years this year I am still so new to it. Take for example my 10 year old grandson. He goes though stages of doing different silly, normal, things like jumping out from no where and scaring the crap out of me and his grandmother who he can outrun! I used to jump out of my skin the first few times he did that. He would laugh as I tried my very best to see the funny side of it and not kill the little...... 'dear'. What went though my mind was after all these years I can stil be made to jump and still lack that control needed to survive a street attack.
lately beloved grandson has got tired of jumping out at me as I no longer laugh its just got so boring and my temper is starting to get to me. I look at him through eyes of coldness and ponder does he realise what I feel like doing to him as I shake the crap from my trouser leg yet again!

In the car today while driving he leaned forward from the back with his hand and said "slap the palm of my hand", I played along and slightly slapped his hand, he gave me such a slap across the head I could have stopped the car and .....I have to count to several thousand while he lays across the back seat laughing his head off! I am getting too old for this stuff thinks me. We then fetch his cousin who he plays the same trick only this time he gets a good slap back so that maybe a lesson learned?

The other thing I just love in this house is when he plays his grandmother up she shouts at ME saying I should have more control over MY, get it, MY grandson! I can't bloody win.

While I am on a rant :lol: I know most psychiatrist's are rather odd. It appears clinical psychologists are also one sandwich short of a pic-nic. Yestersay I went into the kitchen opened the fridge door looked inside and forgot what the hell I was looking for? I poured a glass of non fat milk to drink, shut the fridge and guess who jumped out making me spill the milk? What gets to me is the way he laughs, I so want to be angry with him but he makes me laugh after I come down from the ceiling! I then get it in the neck from my daughter in law who says I am too hard on him. The ironey makes me puke as she gives him hell for even walking around the house without slippers on? :rolleyes:

Lets see what tomorrow brings. Oh dear......

Just sharing.

Mike

#2 User is offline   Cichorei Kano 

• Judo Forum Hachidan
  • Icon

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

View PostHanon, on 25 April 2012 - 07:38 AM, said:

Where does time go? Seems like only yesterday I was taking the line up for my sho dan that was 42 years ago, OUCH.

You know ... you risk your post being moved to the Miscellaneous section which you love so much ... <_<

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
"Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
"I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

#3 User is offline   Steve Leadbeater 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

Mike Sensei,

I'm not certain I can help you here,
however I can reccommend a book
by Freud on this matter which may
just be the thing you need.

I can't exactly remember the title
of the book, but it is about 25 cms
high and 16 cms wide, it is also
roughly 5.5 cms thick and weighs
about 2.5 kilos.

It is not a book that is worth the time it takes to read,
but it will be ideal for belting the little s**t over the head .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

**REI**
Do unto others BEFORE they DO you !!!

Join the A.B.H.A. (Aussie Badger Hunting Association)

Alas, poor Mongo, I knew him Horatio, the fellow was an infinite pest !!!

Yes, that is Daigo 10th Dan with me in my profile picture.

Mizuno Owners Club Member number 2.

#4 User is offline   Samurai Walrus 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:12 AM

Thanks for this post. I am still laughing because I know what its like.
My (4) kids have always enjoyed scaring me.
My wife & I are fairly early risers and one morning my daughter put a life size cardboard cut out of Robert Downey jnr just outside of my bedroom door.
So I get out of bed, open my door and here is this person standing at my door. I immediately took a stance but when he didn't move I asked him 'who are you'.
I am never gonna live it down.
We moved the cut out into my son's old room. Our cleaner openned his door, shrieked with fright backed back and tripped over the vacume cleaner hitting her head on the wall. Not a good situation - but one that I still laugh at now.
My suggestion. get even. Scare the daylights out of him sometime - just once for the fun of it.

#5 User is offline   Kiti 

• Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:48 AM

Hi Hanon,

Thanks for sharing your story about the karate seminar.

About your grandson... kids are known to do stupid stuff like that. I also was a kid and haven't even completely outgrown doing stupid stuff. However, have you given him a serious talking to? His behaviour seems rather thoughtless. A lot of times, kids do things without thinking about what the result of their action will be, or if something really bad might happen. Like, when kids are chasing each other, one runs inside the house and slams the metal screen door on the hand of the kid behind him. Happened to me when I was little, got my hand slammed. Or, when kids are jumping on the bed, and the older one is jumping off and convinces the little one to jump off, and she breaks her arm. I was the older one... (my sister is 21 now, and her arm is fine - her surgery went well). When a kid puts someone else in the hospital, they feel really, really, really bad about it and wish they hadn't done it. If they would learn to think through their actions, much stupid behaviour could be prevented. If you need an outside adult (often more listened to than a family member) to tell your grandson how bad it feels to be sitting in the waiting room with your parents late into the night, waiting for the surgeon to come back with results on your sister's surgery after he has forewarned of possible nerve damage and told how the bones are broken at an angle that will be difficult to repair and will require pins, and how bad it feels to know it is all your fault and you really should have known better than to encourage a toddler to be jumping off the bed, I could tell him.

Your grandson really should not be slapping you across the head, and particularly when you're driving. Maybe you should have pulled over and stopped and given him a good talking to, like the school bus drivers do with an unruly load of kids. That is not funny and could cause you to lose control of your vehicle. You need to tell him to think about what could happen when he does stuff like that. The hard part is to let him know you're serious, but to keep your cool at the same time. If you are giving him rides somewhere, he needs to appreciate it, and if not, maybe he will not be getting rides from you for some time.

He should be past the age of surprising people. Could you point out to him that it is not funny when he gets you to spill milk and make a mess? Can you get him to help clean it up? Can you get him to think carefully before surprising people who might be in the middle of something important or dangerous, and what he might cause to happen? What if you were using a power saw to cut a board, and being surprised made you cut your fingers off?

Hopefully, your grandson never is allowed to develop stupidity to the point of the boys who pushed a shopping cart off an upper story onto a lady walking below, who ended up in a coma for months but did survive.

This post has been edited by Kiti: 25 April 2012 - 02:12 AM

#6 User is offline   GregW 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:54 AM

You just need to get him back. We're "old"--that means we have treachery on our side. We halve the ability to plan and prepare our time to "strike."

A few years ago at Halloween, my son wanted me to try to scare him. We live in a very rural area on the outskirts of a very small town. It's kind of like one of those Norman Rockwell kind of places. On the way home from the trick-or-treat festivities, we were turning into our driveway, which is on a long dirt road, far from any street lights. At night, it's really dark here. I had been telling my kids about a strange creature that had been spotted in the area recently and as i turned my minivan lights off, I said, "Hey what was that? Everyone stay put. I saw something behind the car!"

My son looked at me to see if I was joking around and my then teen-aged daughter just rolled her eyes like teenagers do. At that moment, I hit the button on the dashboard for the rear windshield wiper. A couple of days earlier, the rubber on the wiper had worn out and fell off. The bare metal wiper against the glass made a horrific scraping sound that scared the crap out of me. Thus I knew that it would have the same effect on my kids.

On that glorious Halloween night, in the nearly pitch-black car, when I hit the button for the wiper and it went scraping across the back window--where I said I had just seen something strange moving around--well, let's just say that my kids' screams were very satisfying! It was a good payback! I wish you luck devising your own. Once you scare your grandson effectively, he will think twice before doing it to you again!

As I often remind my son on the mat, I may be old and slow, but I'm sneaky as heck. I always get him with an unexpected foot sweep or something he doesn't expect. Like the song says, "old age and treachery overcome youth and skill."

#7 User is offline   danguy 

• Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:30 AM

View PostHanon, on 24 April 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

Just sharing.

Mike

And you wonder why we allow knives and guns in USA.

WE know we won't use them on the kids; but THEY don't know that.

Unlike Leadbeater's book, they also fit in most pockets.

This post has been edited by danguy: 25 April 2012 - 05:31 AM

If I am doing "win," sloppy and sissy is fine; if I am doing Judo, beautiful is my rule and goal. Judo is far more important and rewarding than "win."

"What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball [Judo] player." --John Wooden 1910-2010

"You should first try to negotiate nicely but you can be strong after there's resistance, and know, just like in judo, when to catch them." --Rusty Kanokogi, 2008, on negotiating.

#8 User is offline   dustymars 

• Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Come to think of it, I lined up for shodan this month 51 years ago. Just think, getting old sucks :)

#9 User is offline   Hanon 

• Judo Forum Shichidan
  • Icon

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

View PostKiti, on 25 April 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

Hi Hanon,

Thanks for sharing your story about the karate seminar.

About your grandson... kids are known to do stupid stuff like that. I also was a kid and haven't even completely outgrown doing stupid stuff. However, have you given him a serious talking to? His behaviour seems rather thoughtless. A lot of times, kids do things without thinking about what the result of their action will be, or if something really bad might happen. Like, when kids are chasing each other, one runs inside the house and slams the metal screen door on the hand of the kid behind him. Happened to me when I was little, got my hand slammed. Or, when kids are jumping on the bed, and the older one is jumping off and convinces the little one to jump off, and she breaks her arm. I was the older one... (my sister is 21 now, and her arm is fine - her surgery went well). When a kid puts someone else in the hospital, they feel really, really, really bad about it and wish they hadn't done it. If they would learn to think through their actions, much stupid behaviour could be prevented. If you need an outside adult (often more listened to than a family member) to tell your grandson how bad it feels to be sitting in the waiting room with your parents late into the night, waiting for the surgeon to come back with results on your sister's surgery after he has forewarned of possible nerve damage and told how the bones are broken at an angle that will be difficult to repair and will require pins, and how bad it feels to know it is all your fault and you really should have known better than to encourage a toddler to be jumping off the bed, I could tell him.

Your grandson really should not be slapping you across the head, and particularly when you're driving. Maybe you should have pulled over and stopped and given him a good talking to, like the school bus drivers do with an unruly load of kids. That is not funny and could cause you to lose control of your vehicle. You need to tell him to think about what could happen when he does stuff like that. The hard part is to let him know you're serious, but to keep your cool at the same time. If you are giving him rides somewhere, he needs to appreciate it, and if not, maybe he will not be getting rides from you for some time.

He should be past the age of surprising people. Could you point out to him that it is not funny when he gets you to spill milk and make a mess? Can you get him to help clean it up? Can you get him to think carefully before surprising people who might be in the middle of something important or dangerous, and what he might cause to happen? What if you were using a power saw to cut a board, and being surprised made you cut your fingers off?

Hopefully, your grandson never is allowed to develop stupidity to the point of the boys who pushed a shopping cart off an upper story onto a lady walking below, who ended up in a coma for months but did survive.

Hiya Kiti,

I can see you have forgotten what being a child is like, this again is completely normal for adults. OF COURSE he does those things at a time they are least appreciated that is what makes them fun to him, its about getting a reaction, bless him... <_<

I recal once many years ago asking a bully why he picked on kids smaller than himself, his reply was case book child logic..."Well I am not going to pick on some one bigger am I, I'm not stupid"...Absolute logic.

I am pleased to write my grandson is as normal as they come, he is not delinquent he is just being 10. THE problem is ME not him :mellow: I am just feeling too old for this stuff. What also makes me laugh, a hollow one, is I am a trained professional in the field of clinical psychology yet cannot take a foot right with my own family! I am absolutley loopey and so are the rest of us! Talk about a circus.

Where this comes into judo is I keeping preaching the education of the charcter from judo but an simply light years away from becoming what I expect of my pupils and others. I have a Ph.D in hypocrisy :rolleyes:

I don't have to smack my grandsons butt any more just the look and his name are enough. Point is I want him to be a boy and do the things boys do. Just not on me! :lol: :lol: :lol: The times I have nearly gone tip over top over his bike or skate board. The times I sit on some bloody toy of his and ...the times I get into bed and find some car of his IN the bed? I wouldn't miss it for the world. :manoyes:
I am just off for my daily dose of valium :P

Mike

#10 User is offline   Francois 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for sharing Hanon sensei.

What a bunch of old gits here. Thanks guys for making me feel like a kid. No grandkids here and only 39 years have passed since lining up for shodan. Posted Image Posted Image .
"The arts of peace and the arts of war are like two wheels of a cart which, lacking one, will have difficulty in standing."�Kuroda Nagamasa (1568-1623)

"In battle, if you you make your opponent flinch, you have already won." --- Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)

#11 User is offline   danguy 

• Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

Shodan, 40 years now...
If I am doing "win," sloppy and sissy is fine; if I am doing Judo, beautiful is my rule and goal. Judo is far more important and rewarding than "win."

"What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball [Judo] player." --John Wooden 1910-2010

"You should first try to negotiate nicely but you can be strong after there's resistance, and know, just like in judo, when to catch them." --Rusty Kanokogi, 2008, on negotiating.

#12 User is offline   dustymars 

• Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

View Postptnippon, on 25 April 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

Thanks for sharing Hanon sensei.

What a bunch of old gits here. Thanks guys for making me feel like a kid. No grandkids here and only 39 years have passed since lining up for shodan. Posted Image Posted Image .

Live long and prosper :)

#13 User is offline   Francois 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

View Postdustymars, on 25 April 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

Live long and prosper :)

Thank you.............May the force be with you.....................
"The arts of peace and the arts of war are like two wheels of a cart which, lacking one, will have difficulty in standing."�Kuroda Nagamasa (1568-1623)

"In battle, if you you make your opponent flinch, you have already won." --- Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)

#14 User is offline   RayEdinburgh 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

I just love that with all you guys here i'm one of the young team!!!
www.edinburghbushido.com
Edinburgh Bushido Judo & Jujitsu Youtube Channel

Live for today, for tomorrow is promised to no man "George Sheerin"
Be proud to be seen! Your a Royal Marine. "William Doyle"

#15 User is offline   Hanon 

• Judo Forum Shichidan
  • Icon

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

View PostBudo, on 25 April 2012 - 09:35 PM, said:

I just love that with all you guys here i'm one of the young team!!!

Down boy. Down.

Mike ;wry)

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic