• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tours Kata Tournament 2012 Ju No Kata Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   bob thomas 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

I got this report from Dennis and Tina Penfold and thought I would share it.

Success for our Kata Twins
BJA Kata Team Women tasted success on Saturday whilst competing in France at the 9th Tours Open Kata International on 14th April 2012.
Following their visit to Turin, Italy in January where they took 4th place Helen and Kathryn Cartwright took gold at the weekend in this prestigious French competition, which is one of the most popular in the European circuit and attracted players from France, Portugal, Holland, Belgium, Germany and Switzerland. Some 79 couples took part in the 6 Kodokan Kata categories of Nage no kata, Kime no kata, Katame no kata, Kodokan Goshin Jutsu and Koshiki no kata.
There were sixteen couples entered in the Ju no kata competition and at the end of the preliminary round Helen and Kathryn were in second place, however in the finals against five French couples they improved their position to take the Gold Medal. This was certainly a remarkable achievement against such stiff opposition and being the only non French pair to do this.
Dennis Penfold, who was one of the invited International Judges, commented on the great strides the French are making in Kata with the standard of their competitors rising each year. He has said that in his opinion in a few years they will overtake Italy and Spain as one of the top competing nations in Kata.
Under the guidance of the BJA National Kata Commission Croydon Judo Club will be hosting this year’s Southern Area Kata Competition to be held on 19th May 2012 and it is hoped that players, both juniors and seniors whatever their current experience will take part in what could be the first step on the ladder to international Kata competition.

My heartiest congratulations to the twins for this achievement and also to Tina and Dennis Penfold who are probably/certainly the most knowledgeable Ju no Kata coaches in the UK.
Bob Thomas

#2 User is offline   Tsurumaki 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

View Postbob thomas, on 17 April 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

I got this report from Dennis and Tina Penfold and thought I would share it.

Success for our Kata Twins
BJA Kata Team Women tasted success on Saturday whilst competing in France at the 9th Tours Open Kata International on 14th April 2012.
Following their visit to Turin, Italy in January where they took 4th place Helen and Kathryn Cartwright took gold at the weekend in this prestigious French competition, which is one of the most popular in the European circuit and attracted players from France, Portugal, Holland, Belgium, Germany and Switzerland. Some 79 couples took part in the 6 Kodokan Kata categories of Nage no kata, Kime no kata, Katame no kata, Kodokan Goshin Jutsu and Koshiki no kata.
There were sixteen couples entered in the Ju no kata competition and at the end of the preliminary round Helen and Kathryn were in second place, however in the finals against five French couples they improved their position to take the Gold Medal. This was certainly a remarkable achievement against such stiff opposition and being the only non French pair to do this.
Dennis Penfold, who was one of the invited International Judges, commented on the great strides the French are making in Kata with the standard of their competitors rising each year. He has said that in his opinion in a few years they will overtake Italy and Spain as one of the top competing nations in Kata.
Under the guidance of the BJA National Kata Commission Croydon Judo Club will be hosting this year’s Southern Area Kata Competition to be held on 19th May 2012 and it is hoped that players, both juniors and seniors whatever their current experience will take part in what could be the first step on the ladder to international Kata competition.

My heartiest congratulations to the twins for this achievement and also to Tina and Dennis Penfold who are probably/certainly the most knowledgeable Ju no Kata coaches in the UK.
Bob Thomas

Congratulations to the Cartwrights, and thanks for sharing Dennis's views.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic