JudoForum.com: Sport England reduces Lawn Tennis and Judo budgets - JudoForum.com

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sport England reduces Lawn Tennis and Judo budgets Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   senseiuk 

• Group: Full Members

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

Sport England has announced six-figure cuts to the Lawn Tennis and British Judo Associations's budgets due to disappointing participation figures.
see BBC website

#2 User is offline   mike 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

Sport England has announced six-figure cuts to the Lawn Tennis and British Judo Associations's budgets due to disappointing participation figures.

LTA funding has been reduced by £530,000 after a near 25% drop in adults playing the sport since 2008.

Judo has received a £353,000 cut after the amount of people participating in the last two years remained static.

Sport England chief Jennie Price said of the cuts until 2013: "No decision to reduce funding is taken lightly."

Both judo and lawn tennis were part of 46 sports that applied for targeted Sport England funding for the period from April 2009-March 2013.

The amount of money channelled to each sport is reviewed every six months in-line with how well they are developing youngsters, catering to current participants and increasing the number of those taking part.

Last October, cycling, netball and canoeing all received increases after they proved their on-going success in those areas.

The LTA's funding award for the four-year spell now stands at £24.5m after Sport England's Active People survey showed that the average number of adults playing tennis at least once a week declined from 487,500 in 2007-08 to 375,800 in mid-December.

Judo and lawn tennis have both been given new participation targets to meet.

Roger Draper, the LTA's chief executive said: "We recognise that the Active People Survey results are disappointing and accept this reduction in funding.

"We continue to work closely with Sport England in order to grow tennis. Like other sports we face a huge challenge to increase the numbers playing tennis regularly in challenging economic times but participation is our top priority."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/17598094

http://www.sportengl...ports_2011.aspx

http://www.guardian....s?newsfeed=true

This post has been edited by mike: 04 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

#3 User is offline   slapacus 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:53 PM

That is surprising and too bad. At our club the figures seem to be on the rise, so much so that we are splitting the junior classes up to keep class sizes workable. Also most seniors sessions are packed out to max capacity. Perhaps elsewhere it is not going as well.

I did participate in the Sport England survey regarding judo and gave it a glowing review.

What a shame! I see such a positive impact from judo on the community.

#4 User is offline   Jonesy 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

Oh dear but not a surprise to me at all. And the ££ will be cut even further when in all probability the results from London 2012 fail to materialise. This will leave te BJA with real problems regarding the Head Office costs with redundancies and cut backs inevitable. A CEO and a COO are simply unjustifiable for starters.

A proper strategic review and fundamenal change is needed. The should be instigated by a new Chairman (and, if the post can still be justified, a new CEO.). A fundamental new value proposition is needed.
Dr Llyr C Jones

#5 User is offline   MMcP 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

View Postslapacus, on 04 April 2012 - 11:53 PM, said:

That is surprising and too bad. At our club the figures seem to be on the rise, so much so that we are splitting the junior classes up to keep class sizes workable. Also most seniors sessions are packed out to max capacity. Perhaps elsewhere it is not going as well.

I did participate in the Sport England survey regarding judo and gave it a glowing review.

What a shame! I see such a positive impact from judo on the community.

That is beacuse your club is fine example of how it should be done and there are many more all around the UK.

And this is where the funding should go, not to HO and CEO'S ACEO'S and Directors of 'this and that' plus an Army of HO misc staff.

In the days when UK Judo was always bringing in the big results the HO was in London (yes lease was expensive I belive)there was a Gen Sec who seemed to do it all and still have time to talk to you on the phone and give advice (a prize if someone can name him!)
Now you email HO , including Chareman/CEO ,3 times over 3 months, asking when is OUR FORUM coming back and you get nothing back, but then I am only a member.

The future of UK Judo is with the CLUBS big and small, highly competitive ones and ''we have a go sometimes'' types, feeding the good players on but all ensuring many come into the sport and enjoy it. That needs money for mat's rent etc ...as said that's where the mega funding should go not on admin and nice jobs.

This post has been edited by MMcP: 05 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

#6 User is offline   Jonesy 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

View PostMMcP, on 05 April 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

That is beacuse your club is fine example of how it should be done and there are many more all around the UK.

And this is where the funding should go, not to HO and CEO'S ACEO'S and Directors of 'this and that' plus an Army of HO misc staff.

In the days when UK Judo was always bringing in the big results the HO was in London (yes lease was expensive I belive)there was a Gen Sec who seemed to do it all and still have time to talk to you on the phone and give advice (a prize if someone can name him!)
Now you email HO , including Chareman/CEO ,3 times over 3 months, asking when is OUR FORUM coming back and you get nothing back, but then I am only a member.

The future of UK Judo is with the CLUBS big and small, highly competitive ones and ''we have a go sometimes'' types, feeding the good players on but all ensuring many come into the sport and enjoy it. That needs money for mat's rent etc ...as said that's where the mega funding should go not on admin and nice jobs.

Tony Reay was the gentlemen concerned. He would answer the phone himself, the office ran like clockwork. I was a huge suporter of the BJA back then, and it's structure was entirely fit for purpose. Now McCarthy and White can go and whistle as far as I am concerned.

What's the prize?
Dr Llyr C Jones

#7 User is offline   max 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

View Postslapacus, on 05 April 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

That is surprising and too bad.

Unfortunately I am not suprised its been cut. Would be interesting to know what new participation target has been set.

I agree with Jonsey that its likely to be cut further after the Olympics unless everyone performs above themselves and we get medals.

And yes Tony Reay did it all himself and it all ran smoothly - how times change!

#8 User is offline   Jonesy 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

View Postmax, on 05 April 2012 - 11:25 AM, said:

I agree with Jonsey that its likely to be cut further after the Olympics unless everyone performs above themselves and we get medals.

Looking at the World Rankings of the British players in my copy of the BJA propaganda rag "Backside" that arrived today, medals seem out of the question if people perform anything like what their ranking place suggests. A miracle could always happen, but let's get realistic, the absence of seeding will make things very very difficult for the GB players.
Dr Llyr C Jones

#9 User is offline   MMcP 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

View PostJonesy, on 05 April 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

Tony Reay was the gentlemen concerned. He would answer the phone himself, the office ran like clockwork. I was a huge suporter of the BJA back then, and it's structure was entirely fit for purpose. Now McCarthy and White can go and whistle as far as I am concerned.

What's the prize?

Correct ! well done, prize is 10 press up's for being so clever !! :big grin:

#10 User is offline   Jonesy 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

View PostMMcP, on 05 April 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

Correct ! well done, prize is 10 press up's for being so clever !! :big grin:

That'll teach me. Nice guy Tony Reay, a fine judoman who seemed to care about members as individuals and respond to their questions and issues and not a t*sser like today's leadership. I remember phoning the office once with a question and him handing the phone over to the relevant sub-Committee Chairman who just happened to be in the office at that time. Service!
Dr Llyr C Jones

#11 User is offline   max 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

View PostJonesy, on 05 April 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

Looking at the World Rankings of the British players in my copy of the BJA propaganda rag "Backside" that arrived today, medals seem out of the question if people perform anything like what their ranking place suggests. A miracle could always happen, but let's get realistic, the absence of seeding will make things very very difficult for the GB players.

Totally agree - I was trying to be optimistic (for a change) rather than realistic :big grin:

#12 User is offline   Peahen 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

Now another conundrum, is the SportEngland budget cut to BJA for British Judo or English Judo? Remember that BJA does both and sometimes it is not obvious where the money sits and is utilised.

Sport Scotland gave more money to Scottish Judo to ensure a legacy from Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games. ;wry)

#13 User is offline   Peahen 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

I still want to know is this a cut to BJA for British Judo or to BJA for English Judo?

#14 User is offline   Save Independent Judo Campaign 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

View PostMMcP, on 05 April 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

You say, “but then I am only a member.”

I am disappointed to hear such phrasing. I appreciate you may be saying this tongue in cheek, but the reality is that the “member” should be regarded, and treated, as a most, if not the most, important person/asset within an organisation.

If members do not feel they are regarded so, does that not cast reflection on those who have been charged with responsibilty for the organisation?

Therefore, without meaning to be provocative, I would question what action members, who may have concerns or complaints about their organisation, take?

I am quite sure that if a member does not come up to expectations or the meeting of responibilities, the organisation would soon be telling them!

#15 User is offline   oldtimer1 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

View PostSave Independent Judo Campaign, on 05 April 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

Therefore, without meaning to be provocative...

Provocative? The Reverend Goldman? Surely not! :lol:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic