• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Judo and Buddhism Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Cichorei Kano 

• Judo Forum Hachidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

Once in a blue moon we come across a particularly well written article or piece on judo. Some of the pieces written by Trevor P. Leggett or Donn F. Draeger come to mind. I would like to recommend a book chapter authored by Professor emeritus David Waterhouse, entitled Buddhism and the teaching of jûdô.

It is an intriguing topic written by an author who is well informed and who provides correct historic details with Japanese words in proper transcription, so highly recommended ! :manoyes:

The book chapter is almost integrally available online now via Google:

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

The piece originally appeard in:

Teaching Buddhism in the West: From the Wheel to the Web. Edited by Victor Sogen Hori, Richard P. Hayes, and J. Mark Shields. London and New York: Routledge Curzon, 2002, xxvii + 234 pages, ISBN: 0700715576, US $25.95 (paper); ISBN 0700715568, US $75.00 (cloth)

Enjoy !

:hap:

This post has been edited by Cichorei Kano: 25 March 2012 - 01:41 AM

"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
"Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
"I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

#2 User is offline   Tsurumaki 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:59 AM

View PostCichorei Kano, on 25 March 2012 - 04:57 AM, said:

Once in a blue moon we come across a particularly well written article or piece on judo. Some of the pieces written by Trevor P. Leggett or Donn F. Draeger come to mind. I would like to recommend a book chapter authored by Professor emeritus David Waterhouse, entitled Buddhism and the teaching of jûdô.

It is an intriguing topic written by an author who is well informed and who provides correct historic details with Japanese words in proper transcription, so highly recommended ! :manoyes:

The book chapter is almost integrally available online now via Google:

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

The piece originally appeard in:

Teaching Buddhism in the West: From the Wheel to the Web. Edited by Victor Sogen Hori, Richard P. Hayes, and J. Mark Shields. London and New York: Routledge Curzon, 2002, xxvii + 234 pages, ISBN: 0700715576, US $25.95 (paper); ISBN 0700715568, US $75.00 (cloth)

Enjoy !

:hap:

Excellent writer :manoyes:
But the link didn't work.

#3 User is offline   Cichorei Kano 

• Judo Forum Hachidan
  • Icon

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:45 AM

View PostTsurumaki, on 25 March 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

Excellent writer :manoyes:
But the link didn't work.

Maybe try to go to "http://books.google.com" and do a search under ID 'jm-U8Y-vkz0C' ? :o

Perhaps there is a copyright issue depending on the continent ? I am trying to get a hold of the hard copy. Someone will be copying the chapter for me "for my own use for research purposes (obviously)" in a couple of weeks. Bear with me.

This post has been edited by Cichorei Kano: 25 March 2012 - 01:48 AM

"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
"Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
"I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

#4 User is offline   Gaijin Judoka 

• 自他共栄
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:47 AM

Number of views has been exceeded, I believe that gets reset monthly.
It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability.

Francois de la Rochefoucauld

#5 User is offline   ThePieman 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:10 AM

Thank you,

The link worked fine for me.

http://judo.forumsmotion.com/

"It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer"
Albert Einstein."jinsei no koro wa tada itsu aru nomi" Jigoro Kano"You wanna roll? Posted Image" WBWAndering

#6 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:10 AM

worked for me

thanks for posting this, CK
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic