JudoForum.com: Scientists Use New Method To Study Judo - RedOrbit - JudoForum.com

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Scientists Use New Method To Study Judo - RedOrbit Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Admin 

• Administrator
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

RedOrbit

Scientists Use New Method To Study Judo
RedOrbit
Watching a Judo match makes it clear why scientists would want to base their study on this sport. The two fighters will face each other, lock arms, and then engage in a tense and awkward session of strategic twisting and gripping, ultimately trying to ...
Scientists Measure How Energy is Spent in Martial ArtsNewswise (press release)

all 3 news articles »

View the full article

#2 User is offline   genetic judoka 

• Honorary Forum Woohooshidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:14 AM

I look forward to seeing the video they're talking about making. and I know I'm not the only one.
"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

"Wise men don't need to prove their point. Men who need to prove their point aren't wise" -Lao Tzu

"When torrential waters move a massive boulder, it is because of momentum.
When a hawk’s strike breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing." -Sun Tzu

"The Way of strategy is the Way of nature. When you appreciate the power of nature, knowing the rhythm of any situation,
you will be able to hit the enemy naturally and strike naturally. All this is the Way of the Void." -Miyamoto Musashi

#3 User is offline   Cichorei Kano 

• Judo Forum Hachidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:26 AM

They do good work, a lot of work and in a variety of disciplines, so hat off to them, as it is difficult to get money for such work or even colleagues to get interested in it to collaborate, unless they are also colleagues without money. However, unlike what one of the press articles suggests, the method is not new. We used it in jûdô back in 1997, at which time, to the best of my knowledge, it was indeed new. In any case how we used it in judo we did from scratch. Since then the method also has been successfully used to assess kata. With regard to other training forms, uchi-komi, and nage-komi have been preferable to randori, because unpredictable movements in randori will pull off some of the leads or connections of the device, and you are also limited to making contact with the opponent with an area of the body other than that on which you are wearing the device. The main difference, in my opinion, is that back in 1997 the judo world was not interested in it and not ready for it. Maybe today they are. That is also why I kept saying that national squads were still training like in the early 1970s, if you don't get gold, then just train harder and more, rather than 'better'. Certainly using this knowledge it is possible to optimize training for jûdô athletes.
"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
"Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
"I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

#4 User is offline   Admin 

• Administrator
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

RedOrbit

The Science of Judo
Science Now
So a team of Brazilian researchers have taken the lab into the dojo to study the energy requirements of the Japanese art of judo. Judo chop! By attaching wearable physiological monitors—in this case to Olympic medal-winner Leandro Guilheiro ...
Scientists Use New Method To Study JudoRedOrbit
Scientists Measure How Energy is Spent in Martial ArtsNewswise (press release)

all 4 news articles »

View the full article

#5 User is offline   Hanon 

• Judo Forum Shichidan
  • Icon

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

.................."lock arms, and then engage in a tense and awkward session of strategic twisting and gripping,"

JU-do? :unsure:

#6 User is offline   finarashi 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

And Emerson Francini with co-authors has steadily published his results in books for the average Judoka to read and enjoy. :manoyes:

#7 User is offline   genetic judoka 

• Icon

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

View PostHanon, on 22 March 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

.................."lock arms, and then engage in a tense and awkward session of strategic twisting and gripping,"

no, IJF-do
:rofl:
"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

"Wise men don't need to prove their point. Men who need to prove their point aren't wise" -Lao Tzu

When a hawk’s strike breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing." -Sun Tzu

"The Way of strategy is the Way of nature. When you appreciate the power of nature, knowing the rhythm of any situation,
you will be able to hit the enemy naturally and strike naturally. All this is the Way of the Void." -Miyamoto Musashi

#8 User is offline   silverjudo 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

View PostHanon, on 22 March 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

This is the test were 'athletes sparred at high intensity , throwing each other as fast as possible'. They were interested in the sporting energy requirements of judo in that test.

Here's a video of the other test, where a throw is performed every 15 seconds or so for 5minutes straight. Perhaps this is more what 'JU-do' should look like? Though Tori in the video appears to be an athletic, high level player, so he probably doesn't know 'JU-do' :rolleyes:

http://news.sciencem...udo.html?ref=hp

This post has been edited by silverjudo: 22 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

#9 User is offline   Doctor Horrible 

• "Consulting Genius"
  • Icon

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:05 AM

I'm not sure I follow. Are they simply doing blood lactate / OBLA with judoka, in order to infer normative values (eg: V02 max)? The article makes it sound as if they are doing that, along with the standard battery of O2 consumption tests.

Has some new piece of equipment been developed for judo - a portable metabolic cart or some such?

Again, I'm not following; sorry to be dense

EDIT: Ah, I have images disabled. Ok, that makes more sense

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Doctor Horrible: 23 March 2012 - 06:13 AM

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
---H.L. Mencken

#10 User is offline   genetic judoka 

• Icon

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:37 AM

http://www.jove.com/...during-exercise

here's the link.

#11 User is offline   Mitesco 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:13 AM

View PostHanon, on 22 March 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

I would hope that this research could help to find ways for the most efficient way of using your energy.
These insights and studies were not available in the times when judo was founded, but it fits in the judo theory to have the imput of science.

Interesting would be to make a comparative study for the use of energy in competition judo, kata, and to find the clue when we still have the best effect with the least use of energy. :rolleyes:

#12 User is offline   Cichorei Kano 

• Judo Forum Hachidan
  • Icon

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

View PostMitesco, on 23 March 2012 - 04:13 PM, said:

I would hope that this research could help to find ways for the most efficient way of using your energy.
These insights and studies were not available in the times when judo was founded, but it fits in the judo theory to have the imput of science.

Interesting would be to make a comparative study for the use of energy in competition judo, kata, and to find the clue when we still have the best effect with the least use of energy. :rolleyes:

Has been done. There are large differences between individual performers. You can't really do this properly in randori, since no two fights are the same for different reasons; no only does the opponent change, but even with the same opponent, the pace, the number of attacks can be totally different in one bout when compared to another. Kata is more straightforward, except perhaps nage-no-kata. Probably though, the most valid approach is to compare the data of one individual with other data from that individual over time as his/her judo evolves.
"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
"Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
"I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic