• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gi's Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   JudoHitman 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:51 AM

I was looking at some new gi's for competition, I look at one in particular; Addidas J800.
It was £104 for my height, can someone guide me on which one's to buy because that seemed very expensive.
"Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand"

#2 User is offline   SODO 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

View PostJudoHitman, on 21 March 2012 - 01:51 AM, said:

I was looking at some new gi's for competition, I look at one in particular; Addidas J800.
It was £104 for my height, can someone guide me on which one's to buy because that seemed very expensive.

Hi JH,
I have no experience with the addidas gi but I assume it is of the usual quality for addidas products but GBP 104,00 for a gi sounds very reasonable to me, I paid nearly €300,00 last year for an armour plated DAX in my size (yes I am big :mellow:)
because there was nothing else available.

atb

sodo
I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings.

I'm a drunk, we go to parties.

#3 User is offline   bigstu31s 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

View PostJudoHitman, on 21 March 2012 - 01:51 AM, said:

Assuming you are in the UK the BJA are selling these on their website for £70
http://www.judostore...-judo-suit.html

As you are looking for a competition gi the cheap £30-£40 gi's are not really appropriate so yes you have to spend quite a bit.
What is your build btw?

#4 User is offline   JudoHitman 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

I'm 6ft 3in and 195lbs.
"Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand"

#5 User is offline   UK_Noire 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

Not sure why you guys are suggesting to a yellow belt, with less than 1 years experience, that he spends over £100 on a judogi.

If you want a heavyweight competition gi that will stand the test of time, I recommend a blitz gold, or a blitz olympian. A gold should cost you somewhere in the region of £40, and an olympian around £60. If in a few years you are thinking of competing seriously, THEN maybe think about adidas, fighting films, mizuno etc, because that's when you will need to think about spending about £150. I am a big fan of the olympian, and still wear mine to compete in sometimes.

#6 User is offline   slapacus 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

You won't find many Blitz gi's any more. He would need a 190 Gold or Olympian and generally those are out of stock. Shuurai light is the closest thing then make now. However if you can find remnant stock olympians or golds then get one. It would get you through to 1st dan.

Could also try the AVA double?

At that £100-115 mark there are Mizuno
Shiais, Fighting Films Black label or Tagoya Masters. I got great service from Les at www.judogis.co.uk on shiai.

Might try the j800 off the BJA myself!

#7 User is offline   bigstu31s 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

View PostUK_Noire, on 21 March 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

Not sure why you guys are suggesting to a yellow belt, with less than 1 years experience, that he spends over £100 on a judogi.

If you want a heavyweight competition gi that will stand the test of time, I recommend a blitz gold, or a blitz olympian. A gold should cost you somewhere in the region of £40, and an olympian around £60. If in a few years you are thinking of competing seriously, THEN maybe think about adidas, fighting films, mizuno etc, because that's when you will need to think about spending about £150. I am a big fan of the olympian, and still wear mine to compete in sometimes.

With the op being 6ft 3 and 195lb, pretty close to my 6ft 3 and 205lb frame, I would not recommend the Blitz Olympian. I bought a 190 Olympian in blue and yes it is very very thick but it could literally wrap around my body twice and the skirt is more like a dress. Also the arms were a little on the short size so no point in getting a smaller size.
If anyone wants to offer me more than £20 for it you can have it.

To the op, if you get the adidas please let me know how it fits as i'm looking at getting a new gi myself.
Also to the Op, do you want a double weave and how much are you looking to spend?

#8 User is offline   slapacus 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

Good point on the Blitz gi's - they last forever but are long in the skirt and short in the arms. The Olympian is worse than the Gold.

Just ordered the J800 and will come back to you. Recently tried the Mizuno Shiai (did not fit my build) and it was a great quality gi with the best trousers - just did not fit me. Still need a 2nd gi but saving the pennies to get another decent one. Fight Films black label?

#9 User is offline   bigstu31s 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

View Postslapacus, on 22 March 2012 - 11:20 PM, said:

Just ordered the J800 and will come back to you. Recently tried the Mizuno Shiai (did not fit my build) and it was a great quality gi with the best trousers - just did not fit me. Still

Please do let me know how it fits. Whats your build?
Also, did you buy the gi from the BJA website?

#10 User is offline   slapacus 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

I got the J800 from the BJA Judo Store (note they do add VAT and shipping onto the £70 but was happy with the all in cost). I am between 6'3" and 6'4" and am just under 110kgs. Most gis that fit my arms and shoulders are too big in the waist and trousers. I will let you know when I get it, wear it and wash it.

I was gutted on the shiai but must give Les credit for his excellent service. Loved the Mizuno gi, just a bad fit for me.

#11 User is offline   PtWhiteBelt 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

View Postbigstu31s, on 21 March 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

With the op being 6ft 3 and 195lb, pretty close to my 6ft 3 and 205lb frame, I would not recommend the Blitz Olympian. I bought a 190 Olympian in blue and yes it is very very thick but it could literally wrap around my body twice and the skirt is more like a dress. Also the arms were a little on the short size so no point in getting a smaller size.

This x1000.

That sort of cut should be banished from the Earth.

#12 User is offline   UK_Noire 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:42 AM

View Postbigstu31s, on 21 March 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

To the op, if you get the adidas please let me know how it fits as i'm looking at getting a new gi myself.
Also to the Op, do you want a double weave and how much are you looking to spend?

ALso close to my 6'4 195lb frame. I wear a 190 blitz 'kokuba', 185 gold and 180 olympian and all fit me perfectly. the olympian is long in the skirt, and i would not recommend it for high level competition. but until you are competing seriously, why spend £100 on a judogi?

I also have a mizuno shiai (i forget what size) and have the same problem but in reverse. fits me perfectly across the chest and in the arms. trousers fit perfectly too, but far too SHORT in the skirt.

gonna go for an ff superstar next, because after a guy at my club who's fighting in the british open got one and not only is it stiffer than any mizuno i have ever seen, but it is also significantly lighter and i am incredibly jealous. £160 though :(. I have never heard anything bad about fighting films judogis in terms of fitting, length of service etc!

#13 User is offline   slapacus 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

The superstar looks nice! Too pricey for me. I also noticed that the Togoya gi are for sale on Kicksport and they look nice. Couple of guys at the club are wearing those now. Regarding Blitz, at least half of the gis at our clubs are Olympians and Kokubas and people like them for club training. I am personally after something better fitting and not so heavy. I wear the Kokuban for non-randori classes/ juniors class and it is comfy but in randori it is too flimsy for someone like me 110 kilos (like 240lbs?) I actually liked the golds better but they are not around and I want something a bit better now that I have stuck to judo and spend so much time each week in my gis. I am not worried about "hard to grip" or even stiffness, just want a good fit and a comfy gi that does not feel like a Persian rug!

#14 User is offline   UK_Noire 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

View Postslapacus, on 24 March 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

The superstar looks nice! Too pricey for me. I also noticed that the Togoya gi are for sale on Kicksport and they look nice. Couple of guys at the club are wearing those now. Regarding Blitz, at least half of the gis at our clubs are Olympians and Kokubas and people like them for club training. I am personally after something better fitting and not so heavy. I wear the Kokuban for non-randori classes/ juniors class and it is comfy but in randori it is too flimsy for someone like me 110 kilos (like 240lbs?) I actually liked the golds better but they are not around and I want something a bit better now that I have stuck to judo and spend so much time each week in my gis. I am not worried about "hard to grip" or even stiffness, just want a good fit and a comfy gi that does not feel like a Persian rug!

The blitz olympian is thick anc heavy. The superstar is light as a feather (and hard as nails!). the black label is a decent judogi, at a slightly more reasonable price.

#15 User is offline   PtWhiteBelt 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

Is the FF Superstar skirt that longer than the Shiai's? Looks about the same.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic