• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Six years to yellow belt Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Plainswalker 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

I posted here after I started judo over six years ago. Sad to say, I quit after six months or so as the commute was killing me (and other priorities took precedence). Years passed but judo was always at the back of my mind, but I never acted on it.

Fast forward to last year when my brother and I joined a judo practice again, and started going weekly. It's a small step, but I'm happy to report that both of us passed our yellow belt (gokyu) :D :D. I have to say, that must have been a record for time spent between rokyu and gokyu, LOL. Hopefully this time it'll stick!

#2 User is offline   Dutch 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

Haha some people take 6 year to get a black belt ;wry) Just kidding we all have our own obstacles and any achievement fought for is worth it. On to the next I say :)
Bushi no nasake - the tenderness of a warrior

#3 User is offline   danguy 

• Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

View PostPlainswalker, on 14 March 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

I posted here after I started judo over six years ago. Sad to say, I quit after six months or so as the commute was killing me (and other priorities took precedence). Years passed but judo was always at the back of my mind, but I never acted on it.

Fast forward to last year when my brother and I joined a judo practice again, and started going weekly. It's a small step, but I'm happy to report that both of us passed our yellow belt (gokyu) :D :D. I have to say, that must have been a record for time spent between rokyu and gokyu, LOL. Hopefully this time it'll stick!

Welcome back.

Just remember the most important class to attend is the next one.
If I am doing "win," sloppy and sissy is fine; if I am doing Judo, beautiful is my rule and goal. Judo is far more important and rewarding than "win."

"What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball [Judo] player." --John Wooden 1910-2010

"You should first try to negotiate nicely but you can be strong after there's resistance, and know, just like in judo, when to catch them." --Rusty Kanokogi, 2008, on negotiating.

#4 User is offline   CelestialTeapot 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:13 AM

View PostPlainswalker, on 15 March 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

That's great. I already have to travel a bit to get to my club, if it closed I'd have a real problem.

#5 User is offline   bigstu31s 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

View PostPlainswalker, on 14 March 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

I started Judo when I was 7 years old but quit after a few months. I took it up again when I was 30 but quit when I got badly injured. Then I started again aged 37 and got my 6th kyu 3 months later so it took my about 30 years to pass my first grading, so 6 years is nothing :P .

#6 User is offline   genetic judoka 

• Honorary Forum Woohooshidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

keep it up! at this rate you can be shodan by age 137 :glass)
"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

"Wise men don't need to prove their point. Men who need to prove their point aren't wise" -Lao Tzu

"When torrential waters move a massive boulder, it is because of momentum.
When a hawk’s strike breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing." -Sun Tzu

"The Way of strategy is the Way of nature. When you appreciate the power of nature, knowing the rhythm of any situation,
you will be able to hit the enemy naturally and strike naturally. All this is the Way of the Void." -Miyamoto Musashi

#7 User is offline   danguy 

• Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

View Postgenetic judoka, on 15 March 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

keep it up! at this rate you can be shodan by age 137 :glass)

Took me several years to make yellow but made shodan in 5 years or so including those years. I fear GJ's estimate is well overstated. Keep appearing at the next class and you will be a shodan soon enough.
If I am doing "win," sloppy and sissy is fine; if I am doing Judo, beautiful is my rule and goal. Judo is far more important and rewarding than "win."

"What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball [Judo] player." --John Wooden 1910-2010

"You should first try to negotiate nicely but you can be strong after there's resistance, and know, just like in judo, when to catch them." --Rusty Kanokogi, 2008, on negotiating.

#8 User is offline   Spaceghost 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

I started judo nearly 3 years ago, but it is only in the past 4 months since I started university that I have been able to attend regularly (once or twice a week) and now I am speeding along, I received my yellow (5th kyu) last night and I hope I can go for my 4th kyu during the summer holidays. I'll be shodan before I know it.

#9 User is offline   seatea 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

And I thought I was good at sandbagging. Congrats.

#10 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:26 AM

Congrats to you and your brother! Way to get another judoka on the tatami.

Priorities are priorities, never regret those. The important thing is you're back. Welcome.
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

#11 User is offline   Judo Jeep 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

First, congratulations. Second ... never worry about the time at a rank.

I was promoted to shodan in 1982 and shortly after drifted away from Judo because of work and geography, much like you. When I found my way back I found out that my promotion had never been sent to any organization or governing body. Long story short, my black belt was really just still brown. I put my briown belt back on and worked hard to gain my black belt again, after years of being away. 25 years after I drifted away, I was awarded a black belt from my national governing body and the Kodokan.

Take it as it comes and enjoy the trip.

#12 User is offline   UK_Noire 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

View PostSpaceghost, on 16 March 2012 - 08:44 PM, said:

I started judo nearly 3 years ago, but it is only in the past 4 months since I started university that I have been able to attend regularly (once or twice a week) and now I am speeding along, I received my yellow (5th kyu) last night and I hope I can go for my 4th kyu during the summer holidays. I'll be shodan before I know it.

This is not a good attitude to have.

#13 User is offline   Spaceghost 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

View PostUK_Noire, on 23 April 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

This is not a good attitude to have.

Being optimistic is bad?

#14 User is offline   BillyMac 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

View PostSpaceghost, on 16 March 2012 - 01:44 PM, said:

I'll be shodan before I know it.

Yes, you will be shodan before you know it

I refer to the fact that rank is a recognition from our peers, not something we give to ourselves

I greatly respect the judoka around me and I wouldn't want a rank if they didn't feel it was appropriate

#15 User is offline   Spaceghost 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

Obviously I don't give myself the grades do I? I earn them when my instructor thinks I am ready and when I pass each grading. Achieving shodan means going outside of my club and achieving it on a regional/national level from the BJA. If I work hard I could be 1st kyu by the end of next year, and perhaps reach shodan one year after that. That will be nearly 5 years of judo, I don't think that is too outlandish is it?

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic