• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Edmonton 2012 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Neil G 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

Anybody else planning to be at the Edmonton International coming up in a few weeks? I had fun there last year because there were actually 6 guys in my veterans division!

#2 User is offline   Kelly 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Validating

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

It will be great to have you again Neil!

This is one of the top events in Western Canada, and runs from Friday March 30 to Sunday April 1 at the Ice Palace in West Edmonton Mall. Last year we had more than 600 competitors, ranging from little kids to national team members. This year’s highlights include:

- Friday Kata Competition, to be judged by high ranking and knowledgeable judges from BC, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec

- Friday night Referee Seminar by IJF Referees

- Saturday Competition, which includes $500 for each First Place in the Men’s Brown and Black Divisions, and a Team Competition

- Sunday a.m. Kata Clinic, hosted by yours truly :glass)

- Sunday a.m. competitor clinic, hosted by Ewan Beaton (Judo Saskatchewan High Performance Coach) and Fatira Merah (Judo Alberta High Performance Coach)

- Sunday Competition, including using the Long Term Athlete Development Model for all U9 and U11 athletes.

For more information, go to www.edmontonjudo.com

See you there!
Regards,
Kelly Palmer
U of A Judo

#3 User is offline   Neil G 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

View PostKelly, on 08 March 2012 - 11:25 AM, said:

It will be great to have you again Neil!
Actually there will be 5 of us from our little dojo, 2 masters, a senior and a couple of kids. Thanks for all the work you and your team do to organize this event!

BKR, you lurking? Coming out this year?

#4 User is offline   Ben Reinhardt 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

View PostNeil G, on 08 March 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

Anybody else planning to be at the Edmonton International coming up in a few weeks? I had fun there last year because there were actually 6 guys in my veterans division!

I won't be there, but 3 of my senior students will. I've used up my Judo travel allotment for this part of the year! Richmond then Kamloops and I'm done except for 2 more regional events (Invermere and Salmo). Can't even make it to Spokane this weekend due to work.

Have fun, though Neil!

#5 User is offline   Raj Venugopal 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

My teacher Fred Blaney may have some guys up there. I know a few guys were talking about it, and it's on the board at the dojo!

#6 User is offline   Kelly 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

Please pass on my hellos to Fred. We first met when he was training in Lethbridge with Senda Sensei - now we only bump into each other at Nationals, which I think Fred has the record for continuous attendance at! Tell him we'll see him this year in Toronto, and we hope to see you at the end of the month in Edmonton! :manoyes:

Neil, thank you for your kind words - I am only one volunteer, and as you can imagine an event like this takes many people. We're lucky to have a core group of talented hard working folks (and me! :lol: ) - they are the real driving force for this!

regards,
Kelly Palmer

#7 User is offline   Neil G 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

View PostBen Reinhardt, on 15 March 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

Have fun, though Neil!
It will be a slaughter - haven't played in a tournament since last year in Edmonton. Been doing some reffing locally but not fighting. Just not enough masters around here and I've decided I really don't want to play the hardcore seniors that routinely show up in my weight class anymore. I like the chance to play people my own age who understand we're all headed back to work on Monday.

#8 User is offline   Ben Reinhardt 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

I guess you are up there now, hope all goes well. I ended up sending 3 students (seniors),and I think 1 or 2 juniors are going as well. I should have an update tonight after it's all said and done.

#9 User is offline   Neil G 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:57 AM

Actually it went extremely well for our dojo. Everyone got a medal. I went 3-1 with all three wins by ippon (one throw, one groundhold, one lock) and took bronze, losing in my semi-final to Clive Douglas by yuko on a throw that could have been called either way (exactly the same as last year with him!). As he's rokudan I'm cool with the loss. We had one guy win his senior division, another get 2nd in his masters division. We had a couple of kids fighting u9 and u11 where no placings are given but frankly they walked all over the competition so they had a good tournament.

Thanks again to the Edmonton folk for a well-run and fun tournament. I'll be back next year if I can.

ETA: I posted some videos and commentary over on Bullshido

This post has been edited by Neil G: 02 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

#10 User is offline   Ben Reinhardt 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

View PostNeil G, on 01 April 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

Actually it went extremely well for our dojo. Everyone got a medal. I went 3-1 with all three wins by ippon (one throw, one groundhold, one lock) and took bronze, losing in my semi-final to Clive Douglas by yuko on a throw that could have been called either way (exactly the same as last year with him!). As he's rokudan I'm cool with the loss. We had one guy win his senior division, another get 2nd in his masters division. We had a couple of kids fighting u9 and u11 where no placings are given but frankly they walked all over the competition so they had a good tournament.

Thanks again to the Edmonton folk for a well-run and fun tournament. I'll be back next year if I can.

ETA: I posted some videos and commentary over on Bullshido

Cool, I'll head over there to check out the action. Not much success on our part, one guy lost for bronze, others won a couple of matches.

Congrats on the bronze, well done!

Ben

#11 User is offline   Neil G 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:06 AM

Here's the ippon by throw...

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Kelly 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

Great Throw Neil - congrats!

Thank you to everyone who participated, volunteered, watched - we were pleased with how things ran, how much fun everyone had, and of course the level of Judo - there was some great action throughout the 3 days.

See you all next year! :glass)

regards,
Kelly

#13 User is offline   Neil G 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

Results and photos are available. I liked this photo:

Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic