• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Knee replacement Can you still do judo? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Judoheidi 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

Has anyone had a knee replacement? Can you still do judo? To what level?
Live every day like you are dying of a contagious disease that turns people into zombies when you bite them.

www.denverjudo.com

#2 User is offline   dustymars 

• Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

Had total knee replacement in October 2009, but I am too old to do Judo anyway, so don't ask me :) Just a feeling but if I were in better shape and few years younger the knee thing would not get in my way.

#3 User is offline   Ben Reinhardt 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

Yes, I've seen people with full knee replacements do Judo. Darned well, too. Didn't see any randori, but they sure as heck could train.

***Edit, one person competes in the Kodokan high-dan shiai, so I guess the comment on randori is out.

This post has been edited by Ben Reinhardt: 23 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

#4 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

You might want to ask JudoSensei and AnnMarie.

I think to what level depends on when you do it. If you're 50-60, chances are you're not trying for the US team. That doesn't mean you can't do judo at all, it just means that you're 50-60.

There are a few other threads on the topic buried in this forum, and I'm sure some of those responders will come here and talk about their experiences.
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

#5 User is offline   dustymars 

• Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

You have to be careful with new knees. Even after 2.5 years my doctor warned me not to put too much stress on them. I occasionally wake up dreaming of practicing; of course back in the days. So many hours on tatami my feet had permanent straw dust in between my toes :big grin:

Jerry Hays and several of the “older” Judoka out in San Diego have new knees and they practice Judo still yet today. In fact Jerry convinced me to have mine done. If a dojo was even an hour away from here I would most likely be there a few times a week. But, I’ll be 72 in a few months so my Judo days are over. :mellow:

This post has been edited by dustymars: 23 February 2012 - 11:38 PM

#6 User is offline   JudoSensei 

• Founder of JudoInfo.com
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:51 AM

View Poststacey, on 23 February 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

You might want to ask JudoSensei and AnnMarie.

Hey, I have two artificial hips, but my knees are still my own.
"Plum Blossoms Open Because of the Frost and Snow"

JudoUnleashed.com . KodokanJudo.info . DoJudo.com

#7 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:10 AM

View PostJudoSensei, on 23 February 2012 - 11:51 PM, said:

Hey, I have two artificial hips, but my knees are still my own.

eeek, My bad! I thought you went bionic in more than just the hips.
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

#8 User is offline   MATerrier 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

Personally I'm hoping that by the time I need new knees in 20-30 years they can grow me new ones and just graft them in!

Erika
Life is what happens while you're making other plans......

#9 User is offline   JudoSensei 

• Founder of JudoInfo.com
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

View Poststacey, on 24 February 2012 - 12:10 AM, said:

eeek, My bad! I thought you went bionic in more than just the hips.

Well, actually I did have my ACL replaced so I guess not all of my knee is mine.

I've never seen anyone in judo with an artificial knee, but the people I know who have had it done all seem to be very active and satisfied.
"Plum Blossoms Open Because of the Frost and Snow"

JudoUnleashed.com . KodokanJudo.info . DoJudo.com

#10 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

View PostMATerrier, on 24 February 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

Personally I'm hoping that by the time I need new knees in 20-30 years they can grow me new ones and just graft them in!

Erika

I'm hoping for less invasive options - nanites that swim down to your knees and rebuild them, add cartilage, and remove arthritic lipping. They'll live off of the energy in my body and excrete local pain killers. But, I have a lot less than 20-30 years to wait.

Somehow, I think finding a alternate reality where that's a possibility would be easier. But, meh. A doctor's opinion never stopped me from doing what I want.... maybe that's my actual problem...
Disclaimer

#11 User is offline   dustymars 

• Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:27 AM

There is no dojo for me to practice Judo, or even to see if I could do, with new knees but it has afforded me the opportunity to practice another hobby; observing Mars. Before the new knees the pain from climbing a ladder to reach the eyepiece of my telescope was too much so I gave that up too. Now climbing a ladder requires little or no effort and is painless. The only regret is that knee replacement should have been done years earlier.

#12 User is offline   FallingUke 

• Group: Full Members

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:40 AM

One of the sensei's at my dojo has had both knees replaced. He still gets on the mats, but does not do any randori. No falling, just practicing some techniques and training.

My father just had his left knee replaced 3 weeks ago. One of the things in the literature that accompanied his knee, was the statement 'NO CONTACT SPORTS'.

So is judo a contact sport?

#13 User is offline   dustymars 

• Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

View PostFallingUke, on 09 March 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

One of the sensei's at my dojo has had both knees replaced. He still gets on the mats, but does not do any randori. No falling, just practicing some techniques and training.

My father just had his left knee replaced 3 weeks ago. One of the things in the literature that accompanied his knee, was the statement 'NO CONTACT SPORTS'.

So is judo a contact sport?

Depends on the dojo. People at many I used to frequent just stood around acting like big shots and never breaking out in a sweat.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic