• Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:32 AM

Please delete this thread

-Thank you

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image

This post has been edited by Cursed: 21 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

One should not rely on one's strength; for when one meets a stronger opponent one will surely be beaten.

#2 User is offline   danguy 

• Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:40 AM

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear of your injury. I hope it heals and with time you can return to Judo. I too have had some major injuries but time and patience allow an eventual return to the tatami. Good Luck and good healing. :manoyes:
If I am doing "win," sloppy and sissy is fine; if I am doing Judo, beautiful is my rule and goal. Judo is far more important and rewarding than "win."

"What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball [Judo] player." --John Wooden 1910-2010

"You should first try to negotiate nicely but you can be strong after there's resistance, and know, just like in judo, when to catch them." --Rusty Kanokogi, 2008, on negotiating.

#3 User is offline   Cursed 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:44 AM

-Thank you

This post has been edited by Cursed: 21 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

One should not rely on one's strength; for when one meets a stronger opponent one will surely be beaten.

#4 User is offline   chew_dough 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:07 AM

An improper way of doing Osoto can damage the knee. Recover properly and stay safe!

Over time as your body gets used to exercise, the muscle, joints, and ligaments will get stronger. The best bet is to take time off and as you begin to recover start some type of exercise. Using your body weight for exercise should be sufficient enough to get your body prepared for Judo again.

Don't give up on Judo. Just make sure you're ready for it when you return!
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

#5 User is offline   Cursed 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

-Thank you

This post has been edited by Cursed: 21 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

#6 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

heal up and try another dojo. What'll really help is finding one that fits you best. If you have more than one dojo in the area, try them. See if there's a better fit.
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

#7 User is offline   Cursed 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

-Thank you

#8 User is offline   Mitesco 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

Hi Cursed

Sorry to read you sad story, starting so enthusiasticly and feeling like the end after 6 weeks...

The first part of your first post in another topic however tells me the rest of your story...

View PostCursed, on 25 January 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

My lifestyle

-I am 22 y/o turning 23 this May. For the past 22 years of my life i didn't have any physical activity in my life. I spent most of my time playing computer games,net surfing,sleeping and most of all doing nothing. So yes i am a wimp. When im trying new things i easily twist my ankles.I easily exhaust. I tried biking and yes finally i learned something new but i crashed in the middle of the road leaving me injured for months so im not biking anymore. (besides i dont own a bike) I am a loser and i dont have many friends.

You are no exception of course, even while I live at the other side of the ocean, I see a lot of guys like you.

Imho you need more self-confidence and balance in your whole life. You feel that the 22 years of doing nothing and wasting your best lifetime, will not make you happy and you found judo like 'wow, now things will improve', and of course judo can help you with that, but it's no way a magic wand to create easily and quickly a new world for you. That's the illusion of an animated computergamesworld, but not real life. You need real friends and really caring people outside the virtual world emptying a bucket of ice-cold water over your head and wake you up in a grown up world.

You started in judo, but reading your posts, I think you overtrained yourself completely. When I read the other topic I thought: 'man man, what are you doing?' No wonder that your body and muscles cannot cope easily with the impact of real judo throws. Real control over your mental and physical self means that you listen more carefully to your body and don't even wanting to do more than you can handle. Exhaustion is your body saying 'enough now'.

If you find the willpower to start again with judo after your recovery, and feel that it will also improve your social life, do yourself a favour and take it easier than you did. Gradually improve your stamina and muscular condition. Take your time for that! And gradually you will find out that you are not the loser you think you are. You will lose again and again if you want to impress yourself too much with a self-image that you are not. If you find balance in training, social life, study and every relation in life, you will also find yourself, beging a man of value, able to do things, and even judo. But smiling and confident about the level you are at.

Good luck!

#9 User is offline   Cursed 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

-Thank you

#10 User is offline   SODO 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

View PostCursed, on 21 February 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

I dont know if i can find any better dojo than this... This is where the national team trains and i thought it was the best dojo in the country and the nearest to my home.. it thought it was a blessing... :( i dont know... i feel like i cant do judo anymore.

Hi Cursed,

sorry about your accident, hope it heals quick :glass)

Now to your dojo it maybe the best in your country for "National Players" which would by definition make it NOT the best dojo for raw beginners :hap:

We have had this discussion before on the forum and many low kyu grades were giving encouragement to raw beginners to just go for it and get as much and as hard a training as you can get and go to advanced classes etc..

This is a bad BAD BAD Idea, learning judo should be a structured affair learning what you need to know, when you need to know it, putting a beginner on the mat to train with members of a national team rediculous. it will all´most always end with the beginner getting injured. The guys you are training with do not care about you or about mutual benefit, they are learning to WIN and nothing else, the ywant a hard training where they push themselves and they do not want to be slowed down by a beginner. You will be a lot better off going to a less competition orientated club who are interested in teaching beginners and developing a student into a competent judoka, where you are at the moment needs you to be a competent judoka from the "off". it is not their fault, it is just the way it is.

atb

sodo
I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings.

I'm a drunk, we go to parties.

#11 User is offline   genetic judoka 

• Honorary Forum Woohooshidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

this is not to be misconstrued as medical advice since I'm no doctor, but if it's your kneecap dislocating (a problem I've been having) take a look at this: kneecap rehab
"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

"Wise men don't need to prove their point. Men who need to prove their point aren't wise" -Lao Tzu

"When torrential waters move a massive boulder, it is because of momentum.
When a hawk’s strike breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing." -Sun Tzu

"The Way of strategy is the Way of nature. When you appreciate the power of nature, knowing the rhythm of any situation,
you will be able to hit the enemy naturally and strike naturally. All this is the Way of the Void." -Miyamoto Musashi

#12 User is offline   Cursed 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

View PostSODO, on 21 February 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

Hi Cursed,

sorry about your accident, hope it heals quick :glass)

Now to your dojo it maybe the best in your country for "National Players" which would by definition make it NOT the best dojo for raw beginners :hap:

We have had this discussion before on the forum and many low kyu grades were giving encouragement to raw beginners to just go for it and get as much and as hard a training as you can get and go to advanced classes etc..

This is a bad BAD BAD Idea, learning judo should be a structured affair learning what you need to know, when you need to know it, putting a beginner on the mat to train with members of a national team rediculous. it will all´most always end with the beginner getting injured. The guys you are training with do not care about you or about mutual benefit, they are learning to WIN and nothing else, the ywant a hard training where they push themselves and they do not want to be slowed down by a beginner. You will be a lot better off going to a less competition orientated club who are interested in teaching beginners and developing a student into a competent judoka, where you are at the moment needs you to be a competent judoka from the "off". it is not their fault, it is just the way it is.

atb

sodo

You're right i think it is not the best for beginners like me.. and yes they will not care about you. cause when i ask the national team player to give me pointers on a specific technique he knock off by balance roughly and throw me of the ground. all i am asking is how to step my foot properly and lift my uke properly..

As far as i observed the dojo. senior traineess cant lift me properly they dont even know the principle of kuzushi and surprisingly the footwork i learned from youtube. they didnt even know that. after they saw me doing that on them and they find it easy to execute a lift and a throw with that way... thats the only time they copied it and actually use it..so i am really suspecting of a bad coach.. but how........ hes wearing a red and white stripe belt. hes sons and daughter are national team players.. they trained in japan sponsored by our sports commission in our country... and why this happened on me. that guy who used the osoto gari on me didnt even know that you shouldn't hit the knee it was only practice why need to hit that hard.. and the other guy hitting me badly and wrongly i cant even tell them ITS WRONG YOU COULD INJURE ME WITH THAT WAY. .. i am now in pain and needs a surgery. it ends my study and judo..

This post has been edited by Cursed: 21 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

#13 User is offline   SODO 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

Hi Cursed,

First of all i never thought of this "but it's no way a magic wand to create easily and quickly a new world for you" i know that it will be years of hardship before i can see improvements on my body and life... i never thought that judo will be that easy..

You are wrong, if your training is done correctly i.e. right dosage, start slowly and build up, ukemi abd the basics first
etc... you should notice a physical impprovement within a few weeks, and an increase in self confidence by the time you reach orannge belt (usually 6 months or so)

Second i think i didn't over trained i only train once or twice a week for 2 hours. after that i rest and im not doing any supplementary training i just go to school,study and rest and make my body recover.

I ave not read about your training but what you describe here sounds sensible IF you are at a club that is suitabel for beginners, if you are just canon fodder for 2x2 hours a week then that is too much for almost anybody that does not have the apprpriate training.

And yes exhaustion its the way of my body telling me to stop. so every training when i exhaust i stop and tell my coach i will be resting. im taking care of my body as far as i can..

It is good that you notice it BUT your coach should plan the class so that nobody really gets exhausted, you should be pushed but your energy should last till the end of the session, the perfect class is when you can just crawl off the mat at the end. whether you are a beginner or an olympian it does not matter, it is just that you can puah an olympian further :big grin:

uh the last paragraph i cant agree on what you said... im not creating of self image that im not.. because i know for a fact that i dont have nothing to be proud of..

Everybody has SOMETHING they can be proud of :unsure: Mitesco is right you do need confidence boosting and judo is good for that, unless you are training with a national team :hap:

As for now i dont know... i cant go to school..and i think i cant do judo anymore... i dont know..the will on my mind is there but my body cant... i dont know. i just think judo is not for me.. or i just have a bad coach and dojo.. well i dont know again.. who i am to tell that..

He is probably not a bad coach, he is just not for you. The point is will you just give up or will you carry on :mellow:
Consider this an off the mat judo lesson in character building. it is if you like your first shiai.

All i see was i wasted my last chance of studying and i already lost judo.

You cannot lose what you never had, five weeks of judo means you have learnt to tie the obi. It is up to you to decide to go back, I know that if you do you will feel much better in yourself.

atb

sodo

This post has been edited by SODO: 21 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings.

I'm a drunk, we go to parties.

#14 User is offline   Cursed 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

-Thank you

#15 User is offline   GregW 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

It's a matter of desire and will in some cases when recovering from an injury, especially one that has a lengthy healing process. Don't succumb to self-pity or discouragement. If judo's not for you, then it's possible to find something else that helps you stay fit and happy. If you really have a strong desire to participate in judo, then you can recover and come back and stay involved in some way.

I saw a video a few years ago about a guy who survived a plane crash. His spine was crushed, his diaphragm was destroyed, and he had dozens of broken bones. The doctors told him he'd never be able to walk, talk, or even breathe on his own again. He would be on a ventilator for the rest of his life. The only way he could communicate was to look at some letters on a chart and blink when the person holding the chart pointed to the right letter on the chart. The first message he sent to them, after they told him the extent of his injuries was, "I will walk out of here by Christmas." Over the next several months, with nothing but his mind to focus on getting well, he fought away discouragement and literally willed himself to overcome each obstacle. On Christmas Eve, he walked out of the hospital on crutches. Now the guy is a motivational speaker and inspires thousands of people every year.

Basically his message is, if you think you can do something or if you don't think you can, you're right. You'll achieve what your desires drive you to accomplish. If you want to participate in judo, you'll find a way despite your limitations. We have a young girl in our club who does judo despite having Multiple Sclerosis. She has some serious physical limitations, but she does it. She comes every week without fail. She recently earned her yellow belt. She was as proud of that as if she had earned shodan!

In the end, it's not about physical capabilities, throwing people, winning matches, or any of that. It's about self-improvement and every single one of us is capable of doing that. We all have limitations, but we keep moving forward and improving what we are. That's what judo is in the end. It might take finding the right club or the right sensei, but if you want to do judo, you can work around your limitations. Judo is all about flexibility, not just the physical kind.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked