JudoForum.com: What things make you choose a tournament - JudoForum.com

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

What things make you choose a tournament Rate Topic: -----

Poll: What is most important to you in choosing a tournament (26 member(s) have cast votes)

What is most important to you in making the choice to attend a tournament?

1. Distance (not too far) (20 votes [27.03%])

Percentage of vote: 27.03%

2. Level (Regional or national rather than local) (13 votes [17.57%])

Percentage of vote: 17.57%

3. Registration Fee (3 votes [4.05%])

Percentage of vote: 4.05%

4. Regulation Weight classes (rather than L/M/H) (4 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

5. Tournament runs smoothly-no delays, mats always full (13 votes [17.57%])

Percentage of vote: 17.57%

6. Electronic registration available (1 votes [1.35%])

Percentage of vote: 1.35%

7. Quality of awards (1 votes [1.35%])

8. Facility (good mats, dressing rooms available, nice looking facility) (1 votes [1.35%])

9. Attitude of tournament sponsors (1 votes [1.35%])

10. Date-not too close to other tournaments (5 votes [6.76%])

Percentage of vote: 6.76%

11. Award medals right away so you dont have to hang around (1 votes [1.35%])

12. Night before weigh-in (2 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

13. Nice Lunch (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

14. Clinic or seminar before or after tournament (5 votes [6.76%])

Percentage of vote: 6.76%

15. Match system (Texas match, vs. brackets vs. ???) (3 votes [4.05%])

Percentage of vote: 4.05%

16. Ambiance (0 votes [0.00%])

17. Famous Judoka attending tournament (1 votes [1.35%])

18. Nice Medal award ceremony (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote

#1 User is offline   Taigyo 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

I am curious what factors are most important in choosing if you will compete in a tournament or not. I know everyone always talks about the level of competition, but to provide a high level of competition or even just more people in each weight division you have to get people to come to the tournament. So I have left that one out. Please choose your top three factors, you may choose more if you feel your really must.

#2 User is offline   Tafftaz 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:22 AM

Level of competition (national,international).
Nice facility and run smoothly.
But most important is a night before weigh-in, because I can guarantee that I will be ravenous just after :big grin:

#3 User is offline   annmaria 

• Dr.
  • Icon

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:34 AM

I'm surprised you did not include location - or maybe that is under ambiance. When my kids were little I was much more likely to attend tournaments at places I thought they would have a good time, e.g., Las Vegas, San Francisco over places where there was nothing to do. Since we live near Disneyland, tournaments near Disneyland/ Disneyworld weren't a big attraction because my kids had been a dozen times.

#4 User is offline   JoshuaResnick 

• Its Okay. My wife thinks I am a fool too.
  • Icon

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

i figure that any judo parent is going to enjoy traveling or get out of Judo. I wish that list allowed us to rank things in a 1-5 order, it would be more accurate that way.

in the next few years my son will compete if he so chooses. ill pick tournaments based on how well run they are and if i think the expereince of being at that particular event will be positive for him.
"When life backs you onto the ropes, remember Ali and the Rope-A-Dope." -joshua resnick

#5 User is offline   judomarshall 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

Being a single adult, I choose based on the competition regardless of ambiance, facilities or things of that nature. Won't travel very far unless it's a national level competition.

#6 User is offline   Tranquilo 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

Only distance.
"O Judoca não se aperfeiçoa para lutar, luta para se aperfeiçoar."

"Judoka does not improve herself/himself to fight, but fights to improve himself/herself."

#7 User is offline   genetic judoka 

• Honorary Forum Woohooshidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

basically I compete in just about every local tournament that occurs when I'm not injured. however I will decide AGAINST attending a tournament if I hear thru the grapevine that it'll be poorly attended. at this stage in my judo career (I use that word lightly) I don't care about medals, I compete to gain experience. I don't mind paying 50+ dollars if I think I'll get at least 5-6 matches (assuming I win, I know I'll only get 1-2 if I lose). if I wake up early to drive 2+ hours and pay 50+ dollars only to find out there's one yellow belt in my weight class, I'm pretty disappointed.
"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

"Wise men don't need to prove their point. Men who need to prove their point aren't wise" -Lao Tzu

"When torrential waters move a massive boulder, it is because of momentum.
When a hawk’s strike breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing." -Sun Tzu

"The Way of strategy is the Way of nature. When you appreciate the power of nature, knowing the rhythm of any situation,
you will be able to hit the enemy naturally and strike naturally. All this is the Way of the Void." -Miyamoto Musashi

#8 User is offline   Taigyo 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

View Postgenetic judoka, on 15 February 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

basically I compete in just about every local tournament that occurs when I'm not injured. however I will decide AGAINST attending a tournament if I hear thru the grapevine that it'll be poorly attended. at this stage in my judo career (I use that word lightly) I don't care about medals, I compete to gain experience. I don't mind paying 50+ dollars if I think I'll get at least 5-6 matches (assuming I win, I know I'll only get 1-2 if I lose). if I wake up early to drive 2+ hours and pay 50+ dollars only to find out there's one yellow belt in my weight class, I'm pretty disappointed.

You see that is the problem. If you don't go to a tournament because you hear that it will be poorly attended, then you make that true by your actions (and presumably the actions of others). It is difficult to directly influence the number of people who attend a tournament, short of dragging people off the street. When people complain that there aren't more competitors in their division what can you tell them? About all I can think of is to tell them to encourage more people in their area to attend the tournament. This is especially true of the teen aged girls divisions, in that case I tell them to get more of their friends to do Judo.

Ambiance would involve the actual location, appearance of the venue, the general feeling of the tournament

Josh says that a positive experience is most important, what comprises a positive experience?

This post has been edited by Taigyo: 15 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

#9 User is offline   bythesea 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

View PostTaigyo, on 15 February 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

osh says that a positive experience is most important, what comprises a positive experience?

One of the biggest factors for me are that tournaments often take the whole day, or even an entire weekend (if you have a kid as I do). Many times I simply do not have that kind of time free. So for me part of a positive experience is being able to do a half day or so.

Chances to fight. If you suck like me, most tournaments, you wait around for 4 hours, get a slot, get whipped by someone, and it's all over. No other fights, no other rounds. I don't really care whether I've won the tournament or not, I just want to be able to get in a few more chances to test myself. This has a lot to do with the fact that my category is always pretty light in terms of numbers. Just the same, it's not a big motivator to get me to go.

Money, facilites, etc. are far lower on my list. The main factors of a positive experience for me are number of chances to try (single elimination is fine for determining the champ, but I just want to try again -- not for any medals), and how long I had to wait for those chances. I'd wait around all day for four fights, even three. But, often I am sitting around for 6 hours, only to get a single chance at the end of the day while the mats are being put away.
Kuchiwaza -- my tokuiwaza.

#10 User is offline   genetic judoka 

• Icon

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

View PostTaigyo, on 15 February 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

You see that is the problem. If you don't go to a tournament because you hear that it will be poorly attended, then you make that true by your actions (and presumably the actions of others). It is difficult to directly influence the number of people who attend a tournament, short of dragging people off the street. When people complain that there aren't more competitors in their division what can you tell them? About all I can think of is to tell them to encourage more people in their area to attend the tournament. This is especially true of the teen aged girls divisions, in that case I tell them to get more of their friends to do Judo.

this is very true. however this is far from the only situation where a decision made because of a problem makes the problem worse (just about everything in politics and economics spring to mind as examples). but really, if I know (or even think) a tournament will be well attended, regardless of every single thing on that list (minus finding out there aren't mats and we're playing on pavement), if it's in florida and I'm eligible to enter (by that I mean it's not novice or masters only), and I'm not currently injured: I will go.

I mean seriously, I deliberately gained weight to play in the heayweight div because there;s never anyone in the 100kg division. I bring that up because all I want are matches against skilled opponents my size (and preferably not people from my club, with whom i could randori for free without driving 2 hours), nothing else matters to me when choosing tournament.
"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

"Wise men don't need to prove their point. Men who need to prove their point aren't wise" -Lao Tzu

When a hawk’s strike breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing." -Sun Tzu

"The Way of strategy is the Way of nature. When you appreciate the power of nature, knowing the rhythm of any situation,
you will be able to hit the enemy naturally and strike naturally. All this is the Way of the Void." -Miyamoto Musashi

#11 User is offline   SODO 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

Hi Taigyo,
I voted Level of tounament and possible collision dates but what I find most important is the the quality of competitors, I have been to state competitions and the highest grade besides me was a 2nd Kyu, I jsut left there was because ther was no point.

atb

sodo
I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings.

I'm a drunk, we go to parties.

#12 User is offline   Alan Burnett 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

Having been to the States i understand how big the Country is, and realise the travel problems you lot have. Being from the UK i really need to drag my daughter to other parts of Europe if i want her to be really pushed in competition, but alot of good comps i want to take her to are 'one loss and out'. Not good when you have spent a whole weekend and a large slice of wages getting there.
Thats what is important to me now.

#13 User is offline   Taigyo 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

Kind of dissapointing, 277 people have read this post but only 18 bothered with the poll.

For my club, the average travel time to a tournament is probably around 3 hours (one way). There is one that is within an hour, and there are a couple that our people regularly go to that are 6 hours away (driving time. This to some degree represents the distribution of clubs. However, there are quite a few clubs that are much closer that have not, and probably never will put on a tournament. For instance in Portland there are around 4 Judo clubs, there is only one Judo tournament per year (this year there will be 2 because a larger club helped a smaller club put on a mini tournament).

This post has been edited by Taigyo: 16 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

#14 User is offline   genetic judoka 

• Icon

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

View PostTaigyo, on 16 February 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

Kind of dissapointing, 277 people have read this post but only 18 bothered with the poll.

For my club, the average travel time to a tournament is probably around 3 hours. There is one that is within an hour, and there are a couple that our people regularly go to that are 6 hours away (driving time. This to some degree represents the distribution of clubs. However, there are quite a few clubs that are much closer that have not, and probably never will put on a tournament. For instance in Portland there are around 4 Judo clubs, there is only one Judo tournament per year (this year there will be 2 because a larger club helped a smaller club put on a mini tournament).

well, if there was only one tournament per year where I live, I'd definitely be going to it!

#15 User is offline   slacker 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

View PostTaigyo, on 16 February 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

ok done.

Distance directly proportional to level
level inversely proportional to organisation
Distance directly proportional to organisation.

ps: organisation refering to the option labelled "tournament runs smoothly etc"
I am not an instructor. All posts are personal opinion based on experience.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked