• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Starting. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   JudoHitman 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

Is there anyone on the forum that started Judo at a later age? 18 for instance, I was thinking about it a couple of days ago and its nagging at me, I should've started Judo at the age of 11 when we had a 2 month coach at my school, but I didn't have the courage to ask him because I was a shy person when I was younger(still am not to a degree) it depresses me in a way because I could've achieved far more in Judo than I did in football(soccer), now I want to achieve all I can in Judo but I can't help thinking about this.
"Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand"

#2 User is offline   Blacksmith 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

View PostJudoHitman, on 12 February 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

Is there anyone on the forum that started Judo at a later age? 18 for instance, I was thinking about it a couple of days ago and its nagging at me, I should've started Judo at the age of 11 when we had a 2 month coach at my school, but I didn't have the courage to ask him because I was a shy person when I was younger(still am not to a degree) it depresses me in a way because I could've achieved far more in Judo than I did in football(soccer), now I want to achieve all I can in Judo but I can't help thinking about this.

Older age...like 18? Really?!

Instead of spending time worrying about something that you can't go back in time to change - use that time to train. Train hard. Never miss a practice if you can help it. Have fun.

Good luck.

#3 User is offline   Glorfindel 

• Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

View PostJudoHitman, on 12 February 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

Hello,

I started judo at 35.

What do you mean by 'achieved' ??? Martials arts are a long life trip. It doesnt matter if you started at 5 or 25. The road is full of surpises!!

When you are young, maybe 'competition' mean everything to you, but it's only a part of judo. When you get older and your body cant compete anymore, what do you do? Stop Judo?? Of course not, they is many, many ways to develop yourself in judo and to play with the notion of 'mutual walfare' ;-)

The first thing you have to do is go to a nice judo club and have fun. We will see later about medals, rank and everything ;-). Just go and have fun.
Spartan Fight Club
MMA/judo/catch wrestling

Sorry for my english, i'm french (Quebec)

#4 User is offline   JudoHitman 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

View PostGlorfindel, on 12 February 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

Hello,

I started judo at 35.

What do you mean by 'achieved' ??? Martials arts are a long life trip. It doesnt matter if you started at 5 or 25. The road is full of surpises!!

When you are young, maybe 'competition' mean everything to you, but it's only a part of judo. When you get older and your body cant compete anymore, what do you do? Stop Judo?? Of course not, they is many, many ways to develop yourself in judo and to play with the notion of 'mutual walfare' ;-)

The first thing you have to do is go to a nice judo club and have fun. We will see later about medals, rank and everything ;-). Just go and have fun.

My club does primarily train for competition but I do not, I train to improve technique. The implication of the post was I'm having fun but I wondered if it made any difference wether I started when I did.
"Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand"

#5 User is offline   H.y 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

I'm 24. I had a 3 week stint at 19, just enough times to learn a trip and do a lot of breakfalls. At 24 I'm learning it up pretty fast, all things considered. I feel like by the time I'm 30 the difference between me and someone who trained since 11 will exist, but not be much unless they are training very competitively.

#6 User is offline   footsweep 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

View PostJudoHitman, on 12 February 2012 - 06:02 AM, said:

If you're thinking Olympics or World Championship, yes 18 is too old. But most judokas I've crossed paths with at the club level are older than 18 and the majority have started judo after 18. 18 is still very young at the club level. Even if you're 20 or 25 I think it's still young. I would kill to have my 18 y/o body back!

#7 User is offline   genetic judoka 

• Honorary Forum Woohooshidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

I started at 23. well, technically I started at 11 but only did it for a few months so to me it doesn't count. but now, 2.5 years later after training as hard and as often as humanly possible (used to be 5-6x a week, now only 3x a week at 2 different clubs due to school), and competing (somewhat successfully) as often as possible, I'll be testing for shodan in june. could I be as good as I would have been if I hadn't quit at 11 when my karate gi ripped? no. but that doesn't mean I can't be better today than I was yesterday, and even better tomorrow. and that at the end of the day is all that really matters.

we could think about what could have been all day long, but that doesn't get us anywhere. and really, you could have started as a kid, hurt yourself terribly as a teen, and given up judo for life, and be less able to accomplish anything than you are now. so stop worrying about what could have happened, and start thinking of what positive things can happen if you push yourself just a little bit harder.
"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

"Wise men don't need to prove their point. Men who need to prove their point aren't wise" -Lao Tzu

"When torrential waters move a massive boulder, it is because of momentum.
When a hawk’s strike breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing." -Sun Tzu

"The Way of strategy is the Way of nature. When you appreciate the power of nature, knowing the rhythm of any situation,
you will be able to hit the enemy naturally and strike naturally. All this is the Way of the Void." -Miyamoto Musashi

#8 User is offline   Tafftaz 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

View Postfootsweep, on 17 February 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

I would kill to have my 18 y/o body back!

I would kill to have my 30 yr old body back :lol:

#9 User is offline   MATerrier 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

View PostTafftaz, on 17 February 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

I would kill to have my 30 yr old body back :lol:

Amen! Isn't it amazing what a few years of perspective will do......

Erika
Life is what happens while you're making other plans......

#10 User is offline   Freelancer 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

View Postgenetic judoka, on 17 February 2012 - 07:22 PM, said:

I started at 23. well, technically I started at 11 but only did it for a few months so to me it doesn't count. but now, 2.5 years later after training as hard and as often as humanly possible (used to be 5-6x a week, now only 3x a week at 2 different clubs due to school), and competing (somewhat successfully) as often as possible, I'll be testing for shodan in june. could I be as good as I would have been if I hadn't quit at 11 when my karate gi ripped? no. but that doesn't mean I can't be better today than I was yesterday, and even better tomorrow. and that at the end of the day is all that really matters.

we could think about what could have been all day long, but that doesn't get us anywhere. and really, you could have started as a kid, hurt yourself terribly as a teen, and given up judo for life, and be less able to accomplish anything than you are now. so stop worrying about what could have happened, and start thinking of what positive things can happen if you push yourself just a little bit harder.

You'll be getting a shodan with 3 years of training? :huh:

#11 User is offline   Tafftaz 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:49 AM

View PostFreelancer, on 17 February 2012 - 11:04 PM, said:

You'll be getting a shodan with 3 years of training? :huh:

Fairly common. 3 yrs training more than 3 x per week. I know of people, myself included, who did it sooner.Not saying that it is right or wrong,it is just the way it is. Depends on the individual.

#12 User is offline   Freelancer 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:03 AM

View PostTafftaz, on 18 February 2012 - 12:49 AM, said:

Fairly common. 3 yrs training more than 3 x per week. I know of people, myself included, who did it sooner.Not saying that it is right or wrong,it is just the way it is. Depends on the individual.

I heard about people getting a black belt in about 3 years, I just never met anyone who did it.

#13 User is offline   NYCNewbie 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:59 AM

I would kill to have my 40-year-old body back!

#14 User is offline   genetic judoka 

• Honorary Forum Woohooshidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:10 AM

I said I'm testing for it. that is by no means a guarantee of getting it. the distinction needs to be made here.
"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

"Wise men don't need to prove their point. Men who need to prove their point aren't wise" -Lao Tzu

"When torrential waters move a massive boulder, it is because of momentum.
When a hawk’s strike breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing." -Sun Tzu

"The Way of strategy is the Way of nature. When you appreciate the power of nature, knowing the rhythm of any situation,
you will be able to hit the enemy naturally and strike naturally. All this is the Way of the Void." -Miyamoto Musashi

#15 User is offline   7thCuil 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

View Postgenetic judoka, on 21 February 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

I said I'm testing for it. that is by no means a guarantee of getting it. the distinction needs to be made here.

Congratulations anyway. :big grin:

And to the OP- 18 isn't that old! You're making me worry....

Lyss

This post has been edited by Lystra: 21 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

"If I could get a grip on reality, I'd strangle it."

"Haecceity hek-see'i-tee, n (Latin, from haec, this) - The aspect of existence on which individuality depends; the hereness and nowness of reality. First coined by the philosopher Duns Scotus, haecceity is that sense one gets of being in the present tense, the pure experience of a single moment in time. No other word has such subtle connotations. In addition, it sounds and looks very interesting." From http://phrontistery.info .

"Jimmy was a chemist, now Jimmy is no more. For what he thought was H2O, was H2SO4."

"Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic