JudoForum.com: Judo- not for the small man? - JudoForum.com

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Judo- not for the small man? Please show me a video where small judoka wins Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   RagingDemon 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:35 AM

Judo example:

BJJ example-

This post has been edited by RagingDemon: 09 February 2012 - 08:22 AM

#2 User is offline   Ricebalereversal 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

What, did someone give me an excuse to put a Judo video of me up :big grin:

First Vid I am out weighed by 15-20kg (40ish pounds) and by 3 Judo Grades:

In the Third match by close to 10kg but we are same grade.

I should have a heap of vid as I always enter the open category, not world class stuff but similar to the vids you posted.

I will grant that this is the exception usually, I have luck with big guys as when I was wrestling I was the smallest dude there so i learnt to be quick and got a good sense of balance displacement.

Cheers

edit: ah well while I'm here, this is me fighting up a weight class in MMA by 10kg:

yeah, ego poop but I don't care :lol:

This post has been edited by Ricebalereversal: 09 February 2012 - 11:28 AM

Terry Williams
http://youtu.be/mYPzMVXFkbY
http://www.samboaustralia.com
http://www.ozwarrior.com
http://www.ibf.com.au
MMA - Judo - Wrestling - Sambo - Pankration

"If you desire tranquility prepare to sweat"

#3 User is offline   JudoMojo 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

Not really a win, more messing round. Still, nice ouchi.

This post has been edited by JudoMojo: 09 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

#4 User is offline   Slindsay 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

Your kidding right? Your profile says that you've been doing Judo for 4 years and you don't see a smaller guy beating a bigger guy in that time?

If it's any use to you I'm the biggest guy at my club at the moment and I get beaten on regularly by fitter, more technical guys. I don't have any film footage of it though.

#5 User is offline   judomarshall 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

almost all local competitions in japan are done without weight classes.
you see it happen quite often here.

#6 User is offline   Tafftaz 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

Last night my son (73 kgs) absolutely destroyed (meant in a nice way) some visiting brown and black belts in tachi and newaza, who out weighed him by 20-40 kgs.
I see it regularly with the lighter weights.
There is a video of Koga competing in the All Japan open where he reached the final I believe, beating some very large men on the way. It is on his "New wind" dvd.

This post has been edited by Tafftaz: 09 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

#7 User is offline   JudoMojo 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostTafftaz, on 09 February 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

There is a video of Koga competing in the All Japan open where he reached the final I believe, beating some very large men on the way. It is on his "New wind" dvd.

Thanks for the reminder, great video, you can REALLY see the weight difference :P

This post has been edited by JudoMojo: 09 February 2012 - 01:56 PM

#8 User is offline   judo grip 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

here is a video of a person from my club. This guy has to have at least 50-70lbs. over him.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=l7WqTPTFaaU

#9 User is offline   judo grip 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

To be fair in your judo example they were both judoka. In the bjj examples they were going against white belts or novice when it comes to submissions.

#10 User is offline   kuma 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

For me, Judo is perfect for a short and chunky man. Lower center of gravity. Gotta watch out those 5'3-5'6 180-190lbs. man doing Ippon-seoi.
My Judo Blog - Judo Kouro - My Judo Journey

Judoforum's Mizuno Owners Club member #1
Mizuno Owner? Join the club!
Be carefull, have lots of stamina, fight like a tiger, and be as strong as a bull.

#11 User is offline   Dutch 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

The video of judo you showed the athletes were close to each other when it comes to skill level. In the BJJ/GJJ examples you showed, they heavier opponents were of a considerably lower skill level. Also in BJJ the mundial open weight is usually won by the two highest weight classes. Roger Gracie or Rodolfo Vieira are both -100.

There are of course exceptions, Marcelo Garcia has been called "giant slayer" because of his impressive wins against heavier guys. He's been able to do this quite ocnsistently. But they are more exceptions than rules. Same goes for Judo. Isao Okano he was a middleweight but he won a couple of high level open weight tournaments. But he's quite an exceptional judoka.

Its been said quite often, when everything else is equal, size does matter.
Bushi no nasake - the tenderness of a warrior

#12 User is offline   danguy 

• Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:41 PM

View Postkuma, on 09 February 2012 - 07:39 AM, said:

For me, Judo is perfect for a short and chunky man. Lower center of gravity. Gotta watch out those 5'3-5'6 180-190lbs. man doing Ippon-seoi.

I am not sure what the OP considers a small man in Judo. if it is a height measurement, I must agree with you kuma. At 5'7.5" I had no problem with the 6'-6'6"players. Now if it is a by weight measure, then I am a bit less of a small guy.

RagingDemon, please clarify what smaller means to you.

This post has been edited by danguy: 10 February 2012 - 06:46 AM

If I am doing "win," sloppy and sissy is fine; if I am doing Judo, beautiful is my rule and goal. Judo is far more important and rewarding than "win."

"What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball [Judo] player." --John Wooden 1910-2010

"You should first try to negotiate nicely but you can be strong after there's resistance, and know, just like in judo, when to catch them." --Rusty Kanokogi, 2008, on negotiating.

#13 User is offline   Tranquilo 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

View PostSlindsay, on 09 February 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

If it's any use to you I'm the biggest guy at my club at the moment and I get beaten on regularly by fitter, more technical guys.

View PostDutch, on 09 February 2012 - 12:48 PM, said:

Its been said quite often, when everything else is equal, size does matter.

View Postkuma, on 09 February 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

Like Slindsay, I am also the biggest guy at my club nowadays (150kg/330lbs - 1.90m/6.23'), and I sometimes get beaten by smaller guys, specially if they are chunky and heavy guys, with short arms and legs, like Kuma mentioned. But Dutch is right: size does matter, even more when everything else is equal.
"O Judoca não se aperfeiçoa para lutar, luta para se aperfeiçoar."

"Judoka does not improve herself/himself to fight, but fights to improve himself/herself."

#14 User is offline   billc 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:21 AM

RD,

(Sugata Sanshiro always runs around Tokyo with a "I'm Huge in Japan" t-shirt :rolleyes: )

These days there are fewer such match ups because of the whole Euro-tendency towards wrestling style weight divisions.

Here are two from local guys that you know ... or should have met by now anyway. Shag especially you should quiz because he is frequently the smallest guy in the room. Older guys probably encounter this more too because we are frequently without formal weight divisions where younger guys are most always competing within a few pounds of their weight.

There's a guy originally from South America, I think he is out of Colorado but he shows up frequently at SoCal events ... and when there is an open division he enters. Not a young guy at all, but he thrashes. Can't think of his name or I would google a video for him too.

Quiz Judoratt ... do you think he got that name because he was a huge, passive zeppelin of a man?

BTW - you going to be at the Yoko Tanabe workout on the 23rd? A bunch of us will probably be going down for that. Hope to see you there.

Cheers.

Bill

This post has been edited by billc: 10 February 2012 - 01:24 AM

#15 User is offline   bythesea 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:47 AM

I think the reason you don't see a lot of videos showing this is simply because most competitions have weight divisions. In the U.S. the national champions of each weight division used to square off against each other. The big man did not always win. There's also Isao Okano. Didn't he compete well against bigger guys? But, doesn't it just come down to the relationship between size and skill disparity? Obviously, I could beat up even a large 90 year old man, but if I went against Riner, unless I was some kind of super being, there's no way I'd be able to even threaten him.

It happens but it's rare when the skill levels are equal. It's probably stuff that belongs in BillC's 'Sh*t My Sensei Says' thread.

At the end of the day isn't this why we have qualifying statements like: "X is the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world..."?
Kuchiwaza -- my tokuiwaza.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked