• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ne Waza Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   JudoHitman 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

I've been studying Turnovers for Groundwork but I can't seem to find any videos on the matter, my groundwork is pretty solid considering I'm yellow belt because I'm very strong in comparision to my training partners.
So far my sensei provided me with one; the opponant is in a balled up position; you get onto his back and put either your right or left foot between his arm and leg and roll towards positioned leg into a sitting position.
I've been working on this one alot and wondered if anyone can explain any more for me to study preferably turnovers that involve the opponant being on his front flattened out.

Thank you.
"Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand"

#2 User is offline   Nooober 

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:24 AM

Grab his belt, lift him up then sink your hooks in underneath him. Then the straightening of the back commences.

#3 User is offline   Hedgehogey 

• Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:15 AM

For a turtled opponent:

-Here's your posture, in general: weight tilted and moved backwards, closer to uke's hips than his shoulders. If you go too far forward you can bucked off his shoulders, and unlike guard sweeps (which generally heavily involve the hips), doing a kindof on the ground seoinage or kata guruma is something most judoka know.

You should be attempting one of two things:

Either dig a bony body part into an opening he presents or turn the ball (that is, him) over. For the first, I always recommend giving a good and uncomfortable dig of your knee into the gap between his ribs and arm. With the force of your hip behind it, it's extremely difficult for him to keep that gap closed. Keep digging in with your knee. From there you have a lot of attack options: reverse triangle, crucifix, reverse omoplata (USE CONTROL WHEN ATTEMPTING THAT SUBMISSION AND HELP UKE TO TAKE A ROLL BY GRABBING HIS BELT AND PULLING SO HE ENDS UP UNDERNEATH REVERSE KESA), crucibar, jigoku jime, one arm caught between legs rear naked choke. In general, help him take a roll for you by pushing his head to the side so he can be in proper rolling position. As he collapses into a roll, rotate your body around the axis he makes so you end up in a pin. For the second, grab his belt or feet and roll him over. The round shape of his turtle will do most of your work for you. Be sure not to roll him over so you end up in his guard.

Edit: Also, do not reach over so your weight is suspended over his spine, as if you were a drawbridge. This will allow him to Granby Roll you.

If he brings his knees closer than shoulder width together, hug both of them and drive him over, then walk around into a dominant position.

And of course you should also be looking to sink your two hooks and put him in stretched out backmount.

If your opponent lies belly down with his body flattened out and stays there rather than attempting an attack, go ahead and be a princess. Apply pressure with your forearm on his forehead to pull his head up so you can choke him. Put your knee on his back and ride around. Or his head. While you do that tip an imaginary ten gallon hat and swing an imaginary lasso. Grind his face into the mat. Yank his collar across his face and take a second or two to abrade his face with it. This may not lead to him giving up that position immediately but boy will he not want to do that with you again.

It is important to remember, if you begin to feel remorse for your actions, it is your job to punish uke for excessive bellying out. This is mutual benefit and welfare in action! By making his experience of bellying out as much like a stay at Guantonamo Bay as possible, you force him to develop active groundwork, instead of waiting for the ref to stand him up.

This post has been edited by Hedgehogey: 06 February 2012 - 05:16 AM

#4 User is offline   medo 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

View PostHedgehogey, on 06 February 2012 - 05:15 AM, said:

If your opponent lies belly down with his body flattened out and stays there rather than attempting an attack, go ahead and be a princess. Apply pressure with your forearm on his forehead to pull his head up so you can choke him. Put your knee on his back and ride around. Or his head. While you do that tip an imaginary ten gallon hat and swing an imaginary lasso. Grind his face into the mat. Yank his collar across his face and take a second or two to abrade his face with it. This may not lead to him giving up that position immediately but boy will he not want to do that with you again.

It is important to remember, if you begin to feel remorse for your actions, it is your job to punish uke for excessive bellying out. This is mutual benefit and welfare in action! By making his experience of bellying out as much like a stay at Guantonamo Bay as possible, you force him to develop active groundwork, instead of waiting for the ref to stand him up.

IJF Judo rules

17) To put a hand, arm, foot or leg directly on the opponent's face.

Face includes forehead.

Its Judo the OP is asking not BJJ.

Pete

#5 User is offline   Jacob3 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:56 PM

There are some to be found on Youtube. Try searching on 'newaza' and 'techniques' for example.

#6 User is offline   Dutch 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

If your opponent is on his belly, you can consider this a win already. Just put something of similar weight (of yourself) on his back and walk away to have a beer or something. Get a nice stroll on the beach. Your opponent isnt going to notice you are not there because he's facing down, kissing the mat. Then when you are strolling on the beach go buy a book about judo turn overs, and pick one turnover you like.. make sure its flashy because you want people to notice. Now you are in a relaxed state and got some good excersize. You can go back to the dojo, remove the weight you put on your opponents back and execute the turnover you recently learnt about in your book. Dont worry about him resisting, he's probably going to struggle a bit but he's not going to pull anything off. He's probably already tired carying all that weight on his back the entire time. Plus he's probably suprised the weight suddenly started moving again.

Good luck!!!
Bushi no nasake - the tenderness of a warrior

#7 User is offline   medo 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

For a turtled opponent:

-Here's your posture, in general: weight tilted and moved backwards, closer to uke's hips than his shoulders. If you go too far forward you can bucked off his shoulders, and unlike guard sweeps (which generally heavily involve the hips), doing a kindof on the ground seoinage or kata guruma is something most judoka know.

You should be attempting one of two things:

Either dig a bony body part into an opening he presents or turn the ball (that is, him) over. For the first, I always recommend giving a good and uncomfortable dig of your knee into the gap between his ribs and arm. With the force of your hip behind it, it's extremely difficult for him to keep that gap closed. Keep digging in with your knee. From there you have a lot of attack options: reverse triangle, crucifix, reverse omoplata (USE CONTROL WHEN ATTEMPTING THAT SUBMISSION AND HELP UKE TO TAKE A ROLL BY GRABBING HIS BELT AND PULLING SO HE ENDS UP UNDERNEATH REVERSE KESA), crucibar, jigoku jime, one arm caught between legs rear naked choke. In general, help him take a roll for you by pushing his head to the side so he can be in proper rolling position. As he collapses into a roll, rotate your body around the axis he makes so you end up in a pin. For the second, grab his belt or feet and roll him over. The round shape of his turtle will do most of your work for you. Be sure not to roll him over so you end up in his guard.

Edit: Also, do not reach over so your weight is suspended over his spine, as if you were a drawbridge. This will allow him to Granby Roll you.

If he brings his knees closer than shoulder width together, hug both of them and drive him over, then walk around into a dominant position.

And of course you should also be looking to sink your two hooks and put him in stretched out backmount.

I got to say this ones really annoyed me :angry:

The guy who is asking the question is a yellow belt been doing Judo for less that a year, your suggesting illegal moves :manono: and to GRIND his partners face into the mat. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Shame on you.

Pete

#8 User is offline   jerrod 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

Yank his collar across his face and take a second or two to abrade his face with it.

That equals matte.

#9 User is offline   Jacob3 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

View Postjerrod, on 06 February 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

That equals matte.

I would rather see hansokumake for that!

There are many civilised ways of turning someone over from that position. Or to have them submit for that matter.

#10 User is offline   medo 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

View PostJudoHitman, on 05 February 2012 - 10:04 PM, said:

I've been studying Turnovers for Groundwork but I can't seem to find any videos on the matter, my groundwork is pretty solid considering I'm yellow belt because I'm very strong in comparision to my training partners.
So far my sensei provided me with one; the opponant is in a balled up position; you get onto his back and put either your right or left foot between his arm and leg and roll towards positioned leg into a sitting position.
I've been working on this one alot and wondered if anyone can explain any more for me to study preferably turnovers that involve the opponant being on his front flattened out.

Thank you.

As someone who has just started out on this wonderfull sport, my advice would be listern to you instructor and don't start running before you can walk.

Here is a sequence of fundimental groundwork skills that may help you at your level.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ6yE4e_1ws

The more you practice the better you will get, as for turnovers from belly down theres loads depends on your strength the other players weight/knowledge/skill ask your instructor to show you one each week. I personaly would easily go 52 weeks as an instructor one different each week from Curled up/belly down from throw from being thrown. :hap:

Pete

#11 User is offline   secret squirrel 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

What I like to do is lie down next to them, then, snuggling my face up close to their ear I start breathily whispering romantic poetry. Before long they cannot resist but turn over and give me a cuddle, then BANG osaekomi. That's when we're being confrontational, mostly we just hold hands and sing camp fire songs. Sensei has a guitar, it's quite beautiful really.

#12 User is offline   silverjudo 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

With Hedge's comments in mind, when moving into your opponent's guard remember to kick him in the b*lls, punch him in the face and gouge his eyes. Oh wait are we talking about judo, bjj or street fighting here?

#13 User is offline   medo 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

View Postsecret squirrel, on 06 February 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

What I like to do is lie down next to them, then, snuggling my face up close to their ear I start breathily whispering romantic poetry. Before long they cannot resist but turn over and give me a cuddle, then BANG osaekomi. That's when we're being confrontational, mostly we just hold hands and sing camp fire songs. Sensei has a guitar, it's quite beautiful really.

Oh dear, any ground fighting is tough.

I have a scruffed ears(right ones a bit colliflowered), lips gone through teeth tons of times, bloody noses, black eyes and the worst one having to explain to girl friends the love bite on my neck is from Judo :lol:

But beginners don't need to go through this, their learning!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this rumble is about avoidence, lay flat try it and see if you can work from this position, block, gather, and counter attack.
Its just basic Judo.

Pete

#14 User is offline   Dutch 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

View Postmedo, on 06 February 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ6yE4e_1ws

This video teaches you to wait untill the pin is settled before you escape. It also teaches you to use strength instead of leverage.

A newbie at judo should become mobile on the ground. It is natural to walk on two legs and be mobile, but on the ground you are at a disadvantage when you cannot move quickly. Therefor drilling the ebis and elaborating on them with Ginastica Naturel is the best thing to do for a beginner.

The most important part of escaping a pin is to recognise a pin before its fully on, then move your hips so you can escape before the pressure is applied. If you the pressure is applied though, you need to use leverage coming from the hips and/or frames with your arms to escape.

#15 User is offline   Dutch 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

View Postmedo, on 06 February 2012 - 05:32 PM, said:

If this rumble is about avoidence, lay flat try it and see if you can work from this position, block, gather, and counter attack.

Try it indeed, find out its bullfeces and start working your ebis and other movements on the ground asap.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic