JudoForum.com: the PJC is in, PJU finally lost... - JudoForum.com

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

the PJC is in, PJU finally lost... CAS made a decision in December.. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   JoshuaResnick 

• Its Okay. My wife thinks I am a fool too.
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

CAS Decision in Pan America Case 23th December 2011.
International Judo FederationYesterday the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled in favor of the IJF for the case started by the Pan American Judo UNION (PJU) against the IJF and the Pan American Judo CONFEDERATION (PJC).
Yesterday the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled in favor of the IJF for the case started by the Pan American Judo UNION (PJU) against the IJF and the Pan American Judo CONFEDERATION (PJC).

On January 19 2009, 22 countries in Pan America decided to leave from the PJU and founded the PJC. These are the strongest countries from Pan America who represent over 95% of all the results and athletes in the entire continent. As time progressed the PJC began having activity and many of the remaining countries transferred from PJU into the new organization.

The International Judo Federation Executive Committee, after requesting all information from both organizations and giving a chance for each to make a presentation to the EC, voted 19 in favor and 1 abstention to reject the PJU as member of the IJF, and at the same time, 19 votes in favor and 1 abstention for the PJC, the new organization, to be the one and only continental organization regulating judo in Pan America recognized by the IJF.

The PJU immediately launched a CAS procedure against the IJF requesting that the EC decision be cancelled and that IJF be forced to accept PJU as the official and only recognized organization and also that the IJF Pay for all legal fees and other fees to the PJU.

The CAS ruled that the appeal filed by the Pan American Judo Union, all motions and prayers for relief are DISMISSED and that the EC decision made empowering the PJC is the only recognized organization in Pan Americas is officially confirmed.
"When life backs you onto the ropes, remember Ali and the Rope-A-Dope." -joshua resnick

#2 User is offline   Emanuele 

• Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:07 AM

And now what will it happen?

#3 User is offline   TJC 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:16 AM

View PostEmanuele, on 12 January 2012 - 08:07 AM, said:

What was it that prompted the new organisation to be formed? Why were so many unhappy with the PJU?
You have enemies? ......good, that means at some stage you stood up for something you believe in....

#4 User is offline   JoshuaResnick 

• Icon

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

What will happen now? Nothing. The countries like Brasil, Cuba, the USA, Canada, et al were just sick and tired of the corruption, unethical nature of the PJU and their refusal to actually oranize decent events, have fair votes with a quarum, etc, etc....

Thus, the PJC was formed and they get to be removed from the people who they believed to be responsible for all of the negativity in the PJU. Now, that doesn't mean the PJU is gone-- it is not gone by any means... Those people who the PJC wished to get away from are still running the PJU and they will still call their events the Pan-Am whatevers, but now they have no bearing on anything dealing with the IJF, Olympic Games, etc...

In other words, the PJU will host it's own events and their "friends" will attend them. This is kind of what happened a few years back when the USJA informed/organized/sent(?) a junior team to a PJU event in the Dominican Republic(?) without having been approved by USA Judo. See, USA Judo is the National Governing Body (NGB) in charge of international events/sanctions by the Ted Stevens Sport Act, thus the accusation was that the USJA violated their charter by sending that team-- making it even worse was that if gave the PJU powers that be the ability to say that there were those in the USA who were against the PJC and siding with the PJU... It became a bit of a poo-storm. It also did not help that that is also the exact same trip where everybody learned about how horrific of a person Ryan Rebman really was. It was just really bad for the USJA in the court of public opinion, even if certain parts of the USJA's level of involvement were not what they seemed to be-- just didn't look good....

In other words, USA Judo is part of the PJC and if you have any desires to compete internationally, or to have your child or any member of your club compete internationally then you need to make sure that it is via USA Judo and they will then select the appropriate PJC sanctioned events.
"When life backs you onto the ropes, remember Ali and the Rope-A-Dope." -joshua resnick

#5 User is offline   CelestialTeapot 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:40 AM

View PostEmanuele, on 12 January 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

Those that have been cast out will look for an alternative, creating yet more division in the shrinking world of judo.

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   JoshuaResnick 

• Icon

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

View PostCelestialTeapot, on 16 January 2012 - 05:40 AM, said:

Those that have been cast out will look for an alternative, creating yet more division in the shrinking world of judo.

Posted Image

actually, the vast majority of the nations that were part of the PJU have gone to the PJC and there is a lot less animosity within the PJC from what I understand. People are allowed to have fair votes, information published in all of the necessary languages (the PJU was notorious for only publishing in Spanish and even only doing that at the last minute), and the development committee is serioulsy trying to put things together that will help the smaller nations...

#7 User is offline   CelestialTeapot 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:49 AM

View PostJoshuaResnick, on 17 January 2012 - 04:54 AM, said:

actually, the vast majority of the nations that were part of the PJU have gone to the PJC and there is a lot less animosity within the PJC from what I understand. People are allowed to have fair votes, information published in all of the necessary languages (the PJU was notorious for only publishing in Spanish and even only doing that at the last minute), and the development committee is serioulsy trying to put things together that will help the smaller nations...

Thanks for your reply. Posted Image
A genuine effort to help the smaller nations could go a long way to promoting world unity
The impression I got from Dan Guy was the strong judo nations had broken away from the PJU and gone with PJC
When you look at the WJF it looks very much like a collection of the smaller Judo nations
Perhaps the smaller judo natiions felt marginalised by the stronger (and more wealthy) Judo nations

#8 User is offline   JoshuaResnick 

• Icon

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

View PostCelestialTeapot, on 17 January 2012 - 12:49 AM, said:

Thanks for your reply. Posted Image
A genuine effort to help the smaller nations could go a long way to promoting world unity
The impression I got from Dan Guy was the strong judo nations had broken away from the PJU and gone with PJC
When you look at the WJF it looks very much like a collection of the smaller Judo nations
Perhaps the smaller judo natiions felt marginalised by the stronger (and more wealthy) Judo nations

the PJC is young, and yes it started with the stronger nations from the region.. but, so what. does that mean the PJC cannot have a great outreach program? In fact, the IJF alone has an awesome outreach and development program. How do you think that countries from the African continent and other smaller nations can sometimes have shocking results at major events? A huge part of the IJF, and PJC, missions is to foster the growth of Judo--- whereever possible. If a smaller judo nation truly wished to get help in developing, all they would need to do is ask for it.... too often such smaller nations are unwilling to take the necessary steps and then they turn around and blame the others for their own issues.

#9 User is offline   CelestialTeapot 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:31 AM

I have been following the progress of Australian Ivo Dos Santos on his excellent webpage:

"Well I’ve just wrapped up one of the most important periods of the Olympic Selection process. Between May and July 2011 there are nine events spread over 3 continents that count towards London 2012.Given my financial constraints I could only pick a couple of them to go to and hope for good results. I chose the final 3 events in Pan America. It was a gamble. If I had a bad run it would mean my rivals had nine opportunities to pass me on World Rankings."

~ http://www.ivojudo.c...erica-campaign/

I take my hat off to IVO, I admire his determination.

But, I get the impression that judoka from smaller less well-off nations have the odds stacked against them.

#10 User is offline   Camair 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

View PostCelestialTeapot, on 18 January 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

I have been following the progress of Australian Ivo Dos Santos on his excellent webpage:

"Well I’ve just wrapped up one of the most important periods of the Olympic Selection process. Between May and July 2011 there are nine events spread over 3 continents that count towards London 2012.Given my financial constraints I could only pick a couple of them to go to and hope for good results. I chose the final 3 events in Pan America. It was a gamble. If I had a bad run it would mean my rivals had nine opportunities to pass me on World Rankings."

~ http://www.ivojudo.c...erica-campaign/

I take my hat off to IVO, I admire his determination.

But, I get the impression that judoka from smaller less well-off nations have the odds stacked against them.

One only needs to look at the "rankings"! These are the qualification criteria for the olympic games.One needs to have been traveling the world ,paying IJF hotel rates to attempt to amass enough points to be ranked!

#11 User is offline   genetic judoka 

• Honorary Forum Woohooshidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

is there any sport where international ranking points matter, much less any olympic sport, where being from a small less well-off nation is not a disadvantage?
"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

"Wise men don't need to prove their point. Men who need to prove their point aren't wise" -Lao Tzu

"When torrential waters move a massive boulder, it is because of momentum.
When a hawk’s strike breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing." -Sun Tzu

"The Way of strategy is the Way of nature. When you appreciate the power of nature, knowing the rhythm of any situation,
you will be able to hit the enemy naturally and strike naturally. All this is the Way of the Void." -Miyamoto Musashi

#12 User is offline   Camair 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:49 PM

View PostJoshuaResnick, on 18 January 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

the PJC is young, and yes it started with the stronger nations from the region.. but, so what. does that mean the PJC cannot have a great outreach program? In fact, the IJF alone has an awesome outreach and development program. How do you think that countries from the African continent and other smaller nations can sometimes have shocking results at major events? A huge part of the IJF, and PJC, missions is to foster the growth of Judo--- whereever possible. If a smaller judo nation truly wished to get help in developing, all they would need to do is ask for it.... too often such smaller nations are unwilling to take the necessary steps and then they turn around and blame the others for their own issues.

The mere fact that you are citing occasional "shocking " results from African countries and other smaller nations speaks volumes in of itself.
I'd be curious ,as someone who is originally from a truly small judo nation,for you to share where and how does one request the help that is just there for the asking? I'd be glad to relay that information to the masses that have just been in the dark!
Look! man , you like the PJC , obviously dislike the PJU .Your opinion. Just for debate sake, would the necessary steps you mention include the creation of new continental associations? that way the smaller nations would have only themselves to blame?

#13 User is offline   Camair 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:54 PM

View Postgenetic judoka, on 20 January 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

is there any sport where international ranking points matter, much less any olympic sport, where being from a small less well-off nation is not a disadvantage?

Good point! however, some systems seem better or "less bad" for lack of a better word. Continental Quotas for qualifications to the OG seem "less bad"!

This post has been edited by Camair: 20 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

#14 User is offline   finarashi 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

Earlier the qualifiaction meant that If the two bet Judoka were from the same country only one could attend. Now two do get a chance. For comparison watch 100 m dash in the next Olympics. If every nation could put in only one sprinter the runners would be a completely different crowd. Two is a nice balance between only the top and getting wide representation.

Now even small countries have possibility to qualify as continentals have high points and not too many competitions are needed to give point. OK so if you trave and try you have higher chaces to place but by competing often you loose the possibility to train properly.

Somehow giving Ivo as an example was revealing
- Australia is a large nation
- Australia is a rich nation
We can hardly take away the benefit from
- sport (Judo) beeing popular in some country
- some athlete having rich backers or sponsors
- some countries having well developed coaching systems
A poor athlete with no sponsors is always in problems no matter what country no matter what sport.

If we look at results from London I'm willing to bet there will be athletes from poor small nations stepping into podium. e.g. Georgia has a population of 4.6 million and average earnings of some $5,500. How do they do it?

#15 User is offline   CelestialTeapot 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Post icon  Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:05 AM

View PostCamair, on 21 January 2012 - 07:20 AM, said:

<br />One only needs to look at the &quot;rankings&quot;! These are the qualification criteria for the olympic games.One needs to have been traveling the world ,paying IJF hotel rates to attempt to amass enough points to be ranked!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Well put. Could not agree more!

One of the most practical ways the IJF could even things up would be to reduce costs to competitor by reigning in their entry fees, hotel charges etc and easing up on things like the certified judogi rules.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic