JudoForum.com: Wanted: photos of overseas judo instructors - JudoForum.com

Jump to content

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wanted: photos of overseas judo instructors for Kodokan calendar Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   NBK 

  • Just happy to be here....
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 2,238
  • Joined: 14-January 07

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

Hi.

Every year I translate the captions on the Kodokan's 'historic' calendar (there are two - one modern competition, one of photos of Kano shihan) into English.

I got the folks in charge to consider a couple of collages of overseas judo instructors from the era in which Kano shihan was alive and traveling abroad. So up through the mid-30's.

Certain figures come to mind:

Koizumi Gunji

Yamashita Yoshitsugu in the US

Tomita Tsunejiro

Kudo Kazuzo

Takeuchi Yoshinori

Ishiguro Keishichi

Takagaki Shinzo

Maeda Mitsuyo

and of course, Kano shihan himself, if there is a photo that has not been used before.

So, if any has any photos or ideas, please post them here, or send me a PM, and let's get going! We have 6 months or so to find some interesting ones.

Regards,


This post has been edited by NBK: 09 January 2012 - 01:20 PM



柔能制剛 - 弱能制強
黄石公三略 上略
0

#2 User is offline   Taigyo 

  • Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 3,600
  • Joined: 02-September 03

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

We have pictures from when Kano sensei visited our club in Oregon in 1932 and 1938, are you interested in those? You can see one (1932) on our website at www.obukanjudo.org
0

#3 User is offline   Jihef 

  • Judoka
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 718
  • Joined: 15-September 08

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

View PostNBK, on 09 January 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

I got the folks in charge to consider a couple of collages of overseas judo instructors from the era in which Kano shihan was alive and traveling abroad. So up through the mid-30's.

Certain figures come to mind: (...)

… I suppose Moshe Feldenkrais and/or Mikinosuke Kawaishi are out of question ??

(dodges for cover)

J-F.

This post has been edited by Jihef: 09 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

1

#4 User is offline   judomarshall 

  • Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 789
  • Joined: 06-April 07

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

cool project.
0

#5 User is offline   NBK 

  • Just happy to be here....
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 2,238
  • Joined: 14-January 07

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:20 AM

View PostTaigyo, on 10 January 2012 - 12:55 AM, said:

We have pictures from when Kano sensei visited our club in Oregon in 1932 and 1938, are you interested in those? You can see one (1932) on our website at www.obukanjudo.org

That, sir, might well warrant a separate month by itself. Several good ones may well be spread over some years.

In conjunction with this I am trying to convince the KDK Museum to set up a display of key overseas judo instructors. Your pix might be a great start.

Let's talk.

View Postjudomarshall, on 10 January 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

cool project.

Actually I relegate the un-cool ones to Jon Z and CK sensei.

View PostJihef, on 10 January 2012 - 12:57 AM, said:

… I suppose Moshe Feldenkrais and/or Mikinosuke Kawaishi are out of question ??

(dodges for cover)

J-F.


Why, do you have good pix of them with Kano shihan? asks the diplomat in me. Dr F might be an interesting subject for later.

As for the rest, the dark side of me (mis)quotes Jack Nicholson:

If he's so smart, how come he's so dead?




柔能制剛 - 弱能制強
黄石公三略 上略
2

#6 User is offline   Jihef 

  • Judoka
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 718
  • Joined: 15-September 08

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

View PostNBK, on 10 January 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

Why, do you have good pix of them with Kano shihan? asks the diplomat in me. Dr F might be an interesting subject for later.

Ach, you didn't specify they had to be together WITH Kano… :unsure:

Feldenkrais has been photographed with him, as I guess you know. To find a good copy of that picture… would be an interesting challenge.

J-F.
0

#7 User is offline   billc 

  • Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 2,597
  • Joined: 20-August 07

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

Mr. Natural,

Greetings. Almost anything that the USJF and its predecessors had in terms of documents, pictures, tournament pool sheet, magazines, etc. has been scanned by Jerry Hays and delivered to the Kodokan library by his humble courier. These are gold CDs, in pdf format, indexed and referenced. If Miss Motohashi can find where she put them you might be able to easily pull up items of interest ... maybe even some like Big Fish is mentioning ... maybe even those snaps.

There was a suitcase full of original documents delivered as well, including from Ishikawa-sensei ... though I am not sure that is old enough for you.

Cheers.

Bill
1

#8 User is offline   NBK 

  • Just happy to be here....
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 2,238
  • Joined: 14-January 07

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:07 AM

View PostJihef, on 10 January 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

Ach, you didn't specify they had to be together WITH Kano… :unsure:

Feldenkrais has been photographed with him, as I guess you know. To find a good copy of that picture… would be an interesting challenge.

J-F.


Actually, they're considering a collage of those overseas instructors surrounding a photo of Kano shihan. My point is that if there were good ones of someone _with_ Kano shihan, that would probably rate a separate month, no problem, but a good separate photo could work well in the collage (the calendar is meant to be a bit educational).


View Postbillc, on 11 January 2012 - 03:08 AM, said:

Mr. Natural,

Greetings. Almost anything that the USJF and its predecessors had in terms of documents, pictures, tournament pool sheet, magazines, etc. has been scanned by Jerry Hays and delivered to the Kodokan library by his humble courier. These are gold CDs, in pdf format, indexed and referenced. If Miss Motohashi can find where she put them you might be able to easily pull up items of interest ... maybe even some like Big Fish is mentioning ... maybe even those snaps.

There was a suitcase full of original documents delivered as well, including from Ishikawa-sensei ... though I am not sure that is old enough for you.

Cheers.

Bill

Nice tip, thank you. Young Miss Motohashi is very organized, much more so than me, so I bet she can find that stuff quickly.


柔能制剛 - 弱能制強
黄石公三略 上略
0

#9 User is offline   billc 

  • Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 2,597
  • Joined: 20-August 07

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:49 AM

View PostNBK, on 10 January 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

Nice tip, thank you. Young Miss Motohashi is very organized, much more so than me, so I bet she can find that stuff quickly.


She probably is old enough to appreciate being called "young" even by ojisan like you and me. Please pass along my wishes for a good new year.

The problem with the finding was not so much with her organization skills, but with the fact that she did not have an up to date copy of Acrobat at the time with which to index and search properly. One was donated as I recall, an earlier revision but fully functional, alas it was a US version and did not work on her Japanese laptop apparently. Perhaps that has been resolved by now.
0

#10 User is offline   Tranquilo 

  • Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 2,353
  • Joined: 07-November 03

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

Considering that most of them died decades ago, their pictures available on the internet are already in public domain. Several brazilian websites have pictures of Maeda Mitsuyo (or Otávio Maeda, the name he adopted when became a brazilian citizen), and a quick search on google.com.br can show lots of it. Maybe they could be interesting.
"O Judoca não se aperfeiçoa para lutar, luta para se aperfeiçoar."

"Judoka does not improve herself/himself to fight, but fights to improve himself/herself."
0

#11 User is offline   Tani Otoshi 

  • Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 198
  • Joined: 26-June 04

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

How about this picture of Gunzi Koizumi strangling Trevor Leggett in the early fifties at the Budokwai. The picture is not mine and was probably taken for a newspaper article. I'm happy to send you a hi-res image.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Tani Otoshi: 06 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

0

#12 User is offline   bythesea 

  • Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 5,582
  • Joined: 23-April 06

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

View PostTani Otoshi, on 06 April 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

How about this picture of Gunzi Koizumi strangling Trevor Leggett in the early fifties at the Budokwai. The picture is not mine and was probably taken for a newspaper article. I'm happy to send you a hi-res image.

Posted Image


Thanks for posting this. I don't know too much about these gentlemen (other than that they're famous judoka from English judo), and I do see that this is slightly arranged to make for a good photo, but this is just such an awesome judo photo that I'm sure a lot of us can relate to.
Kuchiwaza -- my tokuiwaza.
0

#13 User is offline   ThePieman 

  • Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 1,283
  • Joined: 05-March 09

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:49 AM

Wow, nice photo!

http://judo.forumsmotion.com/


"It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer"
Albert Einstein."jinsei no koro wa tada itsu aru nomi" Jigoro Kano"You wanna roll? Posted Image" WBWAndering
0

#14 User is offline   Tsurumaki 

  • Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 1,375
  • Joined: 02-September 07

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:16 AM

View PostTani Otoshi, on 07 April 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

How about this picture of Gunzi Koizumi strangling Trevor Leggett in the early fifties at the Budokwai. The picture is not mine and was probably taken for a newspaper article. I'm happy to send you a hi-res image.

Posted Image


It is a very good photo...but the purists might object to Koizumi's vest and ring. (I'm ok with the vest but not the ring.)
0

#15 User is offline   Jonesy 

  • Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 4,351
  • Joined: 02-July 05

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:16 AM

View PostTsurumaki, on 07 April 2012 - 04:16 AM, said:

It is a very good photo...but the purists might object to Koizumi's vest and ring. (I'm ok with the vest but not the ring.)

I am sure that modern photo-editing software could remove the ring, and the vest too if needed.

I am surprised that TPL did not have a hissy fit about the vest or the watch....
Dr Llyr C Jones
0

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic