JudoForum.com: Mizuno Shiai -- label says it's preshrunk, so can i wash it cold a - JudoForum.com

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mizuno Shiai -- label says it's preshrunk, so can i wash it cold a Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   nauru 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:09 PM

I have a Mizuno Shiai which I've been using for about a month. Washed it about 8 times so far, always cold and always hang dry (except once when it was still damp I put it in the dryer to make it completely dry as I was in a rush). I recall that Mizuno Shiai judogi comes preshrunk. Does this mean it will not shrink, or is that just a gimmick and actually it's no preshrunk? Am I safe to wash it cold and stick it in the dryer then? No time to hang dry...

#2 User is offline   Haomaru 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:49 PM

View Postnauru, on 09 December 2011 - 02:09 PM, said:

I have a Mizuno Shiai which I've been using for about a month. Washed it about 8 times so far, always cold and always hang dry (except once when it was still damp I put it in the dryer to make it completely dry as I was in a rush). I recall that Mizuno Shiai judogi comes preshrunk. Does this mean it will not shrink, or is that just a gimmick and actually it's no preshrunk? Am I safe to wash it cold and stick it in the dryer then? No time to hang dry...

if is the US one is preshrunk, i wash hot and dry mine, never changed size
just the top though.

#3 User is offline   Ranma 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

I had the Eurocomp which has shrunk considerably in the dryer. Preshrunk isn't much good imo.

Conversely I have a Fuji double which made no such claims, and it's still a bit too big for me (though worn far less).

#4 User is offline   Haomaru 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:55 PM

View PostRanma, on 09 December 2011 - 02:52 PM, said:

I had the Eurocomp which has shrunk considerably in the dryer. Preshrunk isn't much good imo.

Conversely I have a Fuji double which made no such claims, and it's still a bit too big for me (though worn far less).

US version?
i have a euro also and wash hot and dry, never changed size

#5 User is offline   nauru 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:08 PM

How would I know if I have a US version of the Mizuno Shiai? I bought mine in Canada, in case that helps.

This post has been edited by nauru: 09 December 2011 - 11:08 PM

#6 User is offline   Haomaru 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:18 PM

View Postnauru, on 09 December 2011 - 03:08 PM, said:

How would I know if I have a US version of the Mizuno Shiai? I bought mine in Canada, in case that helps.

i can't assure 100%, but as far as i know only the US version of shiai and euro are preshrunk.
pm Vin from the forum, he knows everything about gi

#7 User is offline   genetic judoka 

• Honorary Forum Woohooshidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:30 AM

I have 2 shiai and one eurocomp. I wash mine in warm and put them in the dryer until they're totally dry. the eurocomp shrunk a tiny bit, but really more inward than upward, which for me is a good thing.
"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

"Wise men don't need to prove their point. Men who need to prove their point aren't wise" -Lao Tzu

"When torrential waters move a massive boulder, it is because of momentum.
When a hawk’s strike breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing." -Sun Tzu

"The Way of strategy is the Way of nature. When you appreciate the power of nature, knowing the rhythm of any situation,
you will be able to hit the enemy naturally and strike naturally. All this is the Way of the Void." -Miyamoto Musashi

#8 User is offline   Ranma 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:16 AM

View PostHaomaru, on 09 December 2011 - 02:55 PM, said:

US version?
i have a euro also and wash hot and dry, never changed size

I don't know except that it was a 'made in China' version. The sleeves shrunk perhaps 4 inches since I bought it! Heavy use though... after a year, it's got holes in it.

#9 User is offline   nauru 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:44 AM

Ok I put it in the dryer on high heat and it didn't shrink at all. Well, actually the arms came in a tiny bit, maybe 1.5cm, but I could just stretched them back to where they were in like 10 seconds.

#10 User is offline   Vin 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:57 PM

A couple of days late to answer your question. If it is the U.S. version it won't shrink at all. Maybe on the skirt a couple of cm. But the sleeves will always stretch back out.
Vinh Chung
kodokangear.com
twitter: kodokangear
Blog: Kodokangear Blog
vin@kodokangear.com

#11 User is offline   denverdave 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:37 PM

View PostVin, on 11 December 2011 - 12:57 PM, said:

A couple of days late to answer your question. If it is the U.S. version it won't shrink at all. Maybe on the skirt a couple of cm. But the sleeves will always stretch back out.

This has been my experience.
I have 2 US versions and I wash in hot water and dry in dryer all the time. First time the skirt came up and bit and the sleeves shortened a small amount 1.5 cm, they will stretch back out with some good rondori.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic