Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BPPV and Judo Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cohlinn 

• View blog
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:18 AM

I have a mild BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo). 1-2 seconds of disorientation when I'm tired and moved my head around too quickly at an angle.

I've been wondering if it's a good idea to start learning Judo for fitness and recreation; or a terrible one. I wouldn't consider myself competition material.

But I do see some benefits from learning judo. Like having an activity that allows full range body movements for someone who works at a desk 12 hours a day. Even learning ukemi alone is rewarding enough.

I've read up on some principles and techniques in judo and it seems to require good sense of balance and involves sudden changes of head position. I dread to think of holding the class up doing one exercise, wait 3 secs for the room to stop spinning, and repeat.

What do you think? Do you know anyone with BPPV actively practising judo?

#2 User is offline   Yboat 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:50 AM

I'd talk too your doc.

This is one of those things where its going to depend on what the cuase of your BPPV is and how bad it is.

My understanding of BPPV is the 2 major cuases are head injurys or inner ear issues( past or present) It sounds like inner ear, but I'm not a doc, and I did not stay in a holiday inn last night.

If sudden head jerks can cuase you to lose balance, I'd say randori is out for sure. There are some other things you might be able to do, but once again, its going to come down to you and your doctor.

If you do take the plunge, make sure you let the instructor know about your medical condition.

#3 User is offline   neill 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:18 AM

I have it as well, a clash of heads doing breakfalls, it meant the end to my training. As soon as my head gets in the wrong position, in my case looking over my left shoulder and up, the room beginhs to spin.
If you google BPPV, ther are a couple of links to youtube demo's of the manouver to reposition the ear crystals, can't remember the name. Lets hope yours is a lot better than mine,

Neil

#4 User is offline   Co tenBroek 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:48 AM

I've also suffered from BPPV. The manipulation to reset the crystals is called "Epley". Every now and again I have an issue with vertigo, but it has not stopped me from fully participating in Judo (including Shiai.) I'd say go for and talk to your Dr.

Co tenBroek

#5 User is offline   cohlinn 

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:33 AM

Thanks! I'm glad it's not completely impossible. I'll just have to be careful not to make it worse.

Yboat: I'd definitely talk to my doctor and the instructor before I take the plunge.

Neil : At the initial stage, I couldn't sit up from bed or tie my shoelaces without falling sideways. It was frustrating. But after half a year, most of the symptoms had disappeared. Now, it's rare and short, usually when I'm very tired. I'm just glad I didn't get the headaches or nausea. :hap:

Co tenBroek: Yeah. Doc told me to wait 2 months to see if the crystal will dissolve or relocate itself before opting for the Epley manoeuvre. It did. :big grin:

#6 User is offline   neill 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:54 AM

View Postcohlinn, on 08 December 2011 - 07:33 AM, said:

Thanks! I'm glad it's not completely impossible. I'll just have to be careful not to make it worse.

Yboat: I'd definitely talk to my doctor and the instructor before I take the plunge.

Neil : At the initial stage, I couldn't sit up from bed or tie my shoelaces without falling sideways. It was frustrating. But after half a year, most of the symptoms had disappeared. Now, it's rare and short, usually when I'm very tired. I'm just glad I didn't get the headaches or nausea. :hap:

Co tenBroek: Yeah. Doc told me to wait 2 months to see if the crystal will dissolve or relocate itself before opting for the Epley manoeuvre. It did. :big grin:

Had it over 5 years and while I can manage it day to day, physical sport of any sort just triggers it off, so now I'm a spectator, photographer, table official and taxi driver for my son.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic