JudoForum.com: yes My Father Met Gunji Koizumi in 1953 - JudoForum.com

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

yes My Father Met Gunji Koizumi in 1953 Gunji Koizumi Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   redant 

• Group: Full Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

Hi, I am in Tokyo Japan and have today visited the Kodokan. I am here on Business but visited the Kodokan because of my Father. He is 85 and a Black Belt, he met Gunji Koizumi in 1953, I brought a number of photos with met to the Kookan and was delighted that the LAdy in teh Judo Museum knew Gunji Koizumi, I am not sure that she actually knew my Dad.

So for the person that asked the original question, did anyone meet Gunji Koizumi, the answer is Yes, My Dad did and he was a HUGE fan. I have teh photos to prove it.

if you want to ask any questions, please let me know.

Anthony

#2 User is offline   Tsurumaki 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:51 AM

View Postredant, on 16 November 2011 - 08:55 PM, said:

Hi, I am in Tokyo Japan and have today visited the Kodokan. I am here on Business but visited the Kodokan because of my Father. He is 85 and a Black Belt, he met Gunji Koizumi in 1953, I brought a number of photos with met to the Kookan and was delighted that the LAdy in teh Judo Museum knew Gunji Koizumi, I am not sure that she actually knew my Dad.

So for the person that asked the original question, did anyone meet Gunji Koizumi, the answer is Yes, My Dad did and he was a HUGE fan. I have teh photos to prove it.

Anthony

There are probably quite a few on the forum who knew GK. I knew him -- got my 1st dan from him and he demonstrated on me on occasion. I visited his house when I was about 14. I had a long chat with his daughter this summer. And in his book, my brother (Richard Bowen) included a lot of information on GK, such as the diary GK kept in the two weeks leading up to his suicide.

Be nice if you could post some GK anecdotes by your father, or a photo or two.

Mr Murata, the KDK librarian, had a particular interest in GK. I'm sure he'd like to see any photos he hadn't seen before.

This post has been edited by Tsurumaki: 17 November 2011 - 12:53 AM

#3 User is offline   NBK 

• Just happy to be here....
  • Icon

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:23 AM

View Postredant, on 16 November 2011 - 08:55 PM, said:

Anthony

No way Miss Motohashi and her sidekick in the library ever met Koizumi sensei. He died in 1965 before they were born. She'd probably thrash you soundly just for hinting that she is anywhere near that age.

Redant, the topic makes me think what might be cool - submit a couple of good photos of Gunji Koizumi in action in the UK, and I'll see if I can get one inserted in the annual Kodokan historic calendar. Maybe a collage of famous Japanese teaching overseas. Too late for 2012, I translated those captions some time ago. (This year someone 'edited' what I'd done and they ended up with a comment on the 'Loyal Family' missive being read by Kano shihan.)

If you're interested, I live in Tokyo. I can meet you quickly, get a scan of those photos, and work with the Kodokan. Your pappy might end up in the 2013 Kodokan calendar. Send me a private msg and I'll send you my email and cell phone. Or you can send a scan, there's no rush, just thought to take advantage of you being here. (don't tell me you work for BAE - if so, just send an email to the guy you met at FCCJ.)

Tsurumaki, you got any candidates? Let's gang up on Murata sensei. I need to see him this week anyhow, and I know they're always searching for new and different pix.

柔能制剛 - 弱能制強
黄石公三略 上略

#4 User is offline   redant 

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:16 AM

View PostNBK, on 17 November 2011 - 02:23 AM, said:

No way Miss Motohashi and her sidekick in the library ever met Koizumi sensei. He died in 1965 before they were born. She'd probably thrash you soundly just for hinting that she is anywhere near that age.

Redant, the topic makes me think what might be cool - submit a couple of good photos of Gunji Koizumi in action in the UK, and I'll see if I can get one inserted in the annual Kodokan historic calendar. Maybe a collage of famous Japanese teaching overseas. Too late for 2012, I translated those captions some time ago. (This year someone 'edited' what I'd done and they ended up with a comment on the 'Loyal Family' missive being read by Kano shihan.)

If you're interested, I live in Tokyo. I can meet you quickly, get a scan of those photos, and work with the Kodokan. Your pappy might end up in the 2013 Kodokan calendar. Send me a private msg and I'll send you my email and cell phone. Or you can send a scan, there's no rush, just thought to take advantage of you being here. (don't tell me you work for BAE - if so, just send an email to the guy you met at FCCJ.)

Tsurumaki, you got any candidates? Let's gang up on Murata sensei. I need to see him this week anyhow, and I know they're always searching for new and different pix.

#5 User is offline   redant 

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:19 AM

re No way Miss Motohashi and her sidekick in the library ever met Koizumi sensei.Aologies, I should have said knew off rather than knew :hap:

#6 User is offline   smudgeoka 

• Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:40 AM

Two pics with Mr Koizumi, from the Budokwai archive.

Attached Image

Attached Image
“A flower falls, even though we love it; and a weed grows, even though we do not love it”

Dogen

Basically I think he was saying, " S**t Happens "

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic