JudoForum.com: Hudson Judo Promotional Tournament - JudoForum.com

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hudson Judo Promotional Tournament Brown and black belts battling it out for Batsugan promotions Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   SisyphusMyth 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:22 AM

I went to North Bergen, NJ this Saturday for a Kohaku shiai (winner stays up). Though the idea behind this one is to gain promotion points, I actually really like this style of tournament. I wish it was done more often (with or without promotional points). Kind of like it's described in on this page, you fight until you lose and whoever wins most matches in a row gets 1st place, and so on. Of course, there's probably safety issues with a 150 lbs guy fighting a 350 lbs one, but I think it would be a great experience. Anyway, Billy Martin and the others ran a great tournament. Looking forward to the next one.

Here's a blog post on the experience.

And here's a video "diary" that includes some competition highlights as well as random ramblings into the camera ;-)

#2 User is offline   danguy 

• Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:55 AM

Nice Judo and congratulation to you. At 3:29-3:30 you missed a uchimata-sukashi which should have stopped the match. He was 100% over-committed.

Thanks for sharing.

:hap:
If I am doing "win," sloppy and sissy is fine; if I am doing Judo, beautiful is my rule and goal. Judo is far more important and rewarding than "win."

"What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball [Judo] player." --John Wooden 1910-2010

"You should first try to negotiate nicely but you can be strong after there's resistance, and know, just like in judo, when to catch them." --Rusty Kanokogi, 2008, on negotiating.

#3 User is offline   danguy 

• Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:02 AM

Don't forget to update your profile rank listing. And review your star count.
If I am doing "win," sloppy and sissy is fine; if I am doing Judo, beautiful is my rule and goal. Judo is far more important and rewarding than "win."

"What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball [Judo] player." --John Wooden 1910-2010

"You should first try to negotiate nicely but you can be strong after there's resistance, and know, just like in judo, when to catch them." --Rusty Kanokogi, 2008, on negotiating.

#4 User is offline   Ben Reinhardt 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:50 AM

Nice work, Lex !

#5 User is offline   accident_prone 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:34 AM

i was the third guy you beat for your batsugun. nice job, and congrats!

#6 User is offline   judo grip 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:36 PM

congrats man on an awesome tournament. I really like your judo spirit and mindset for the tournament. hope you get another chance with the big guys. Keep enjoying judo and keep the videoes coming.

#7 User is offline   aiseop 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:02 PM

Great video. Thanks for sharing!
www.aikiacademy.com
www.americantopteamct.com

#8 User is offline   faxed 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:36 PM

lex:

thank you again for a great video. congratulations on your batsugan. i also congratulate chris on his batsugan. (for those interested, on youtube, there is a video of chris doing randori with kosei inoue when he visited nj in 2010)

#9 User is offline   Kodenkan/Kodokan 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:54 PM

Just wanted to say that I really enjoy this video format. The Princeton one was cool too! Looking forward to more.

-Ian C
文武両道

#10 User is offline   Phat tony 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:52 PM

Really cool video! Thanks for sharing! What is your username on YouTube so I can subscribe?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic