• +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sensible weight routine for judo Rate Topic: -----

#46 User is offline   Cato.St. 

• Group: Full Members

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:42 AM

So, I've been following this strength program for 5 weeks (thanks G) and am definitely getting stronger already compared with the random weights I was doing before, but I'm also getting gassed by the last 1/2 hour of judo classes which I wasn't before (it's also effecting the plyometric stuff I'm doing too).

I'm 45 (this probably won't apply to younger duds) and I'm thinking of keeping the base exercises in this program and doing one week at the reps stated, then halving the weight + doubling reps for the next two weeks, then having a cardio only week as a monthly schedule (increasing the base weight once a month). Anyone any thoughts?

Perhaps it's just me, maybe I should take up janken.

#47 User is offline   grimace 

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

I know you say not to substitute anything, but as far as doing squats twice a week heavy and judo I find myself worn out. Would you think it ok to substitute box squats for one of the squats on the first or second work out in order to allow less stress on the body as well as put more emphasis on power?

#48 User is offline   silverjudo 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

View Postgrimace, on 24 January 2012 - 09:10 PM, said:

I know you say not to substitute anything, but as far as doing squats twice a week heavy and judo I find myself worn out. Would you think it ok to substitute box squats for one of the squats on the first or second work out in order to allow less stress on the body as well as put more emphasis on power?

Depends on where you are in developing your squat strength. If you're seeing gains every week then you should likely continue until you plateau. At white belt you may be worn out sometimes, but you'll get in better shape with more time on the mat and in the gym, so eventually you shouldn't be as affected. In the meantime, focus on technique in judo, as you always should, but it will be even more valuable when you're worn down.

Once you're comfortable with your strength, and the heavy loads may be taking more from you than you gain from being fresher in judo, then you may want to consider going into 'maintenance' mode with using ancillary/substitute movements. Then find the time when you refocus more on developing strength, which if you're a competitor it will be well before your planned competitions.

#49 User is offline   grimace 

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:06 AM

thanks for the response silver :)

#50 User is offline   Matthew Jones 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

Hey all, thought I'd give you my progress so far, 5 months in:

weight 172 to 185lb
power clean 95 to 165
squat 95 to 225
Bench 105 to 160
press 85 to 115
deadlift 135 - 235

As you can see I was conservative in my starting weights, but I don't mind slow progress. I admit that nothing here is all that impressive (although I did finally hit two plates on my squat and I'm pretty happy about that). I reset my bench at 160, everything else is still steadily climbing.

Anyone else been using Starting Strength or Gant's Judo workout? Results?

#51 User is offline   silverjudo 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

View PostMatthew Jones, on 17 February 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

Hey all, thought I'd give you my progress so far, 5 months in:

weight 172 to 185lb
power clean 95 to 165
squat 95 to 225
Bench 105 to 160
press 85 to 115
deadlift 135 - 235

As you can see I was conservative in my starting weights, but I don't mind slow progress. I admit that nothing here is all that impressive (although I did finally hit two plates on my squat and I'm pretty happy about that). I reset my bench at 160, everything else is still steadily climbing.

Anyone else been using Starting Strength or Gant's Judo workout? Results?

These are the weights you use for reps, or are these your max for 1rep? Either way, nice work and keep it up!

#52 User is offline   Matthew Jones 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:10 PM

View Postsilverjudo, on 17 February 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

These are the weights you use for reps, or are these your max for 1rep? Either way, nice work and keep it up!

These are my rep weights, so for example my squat is at 225 for three sets of 5 (225x3x5?)

I have no idea what my 1 rep max would be...

#53 User is offline   Darshu 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

View PostMatthew Jones, on 17 February 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

These are my rep weights, so for example my squat is at 225 for three sets of 5 (225x3x5?)

I have no idea what my 1 rep max would be...

One of my clients is doing 225 for 3 of 5 on the BS and his 1RM is 265.

Good work. You say the numbers aren't impressive, but anytime someone commits to something (and your results show it) I'm impressed. Keep up the good work.
John Schneider
JudoFitness.com

1. The Body is One Piece
2. There are three kinds of strength training:
• Putting weight overhead
• Picking it off the ground
• Carrying it for time or distance
3. All training is complementary.
-Dan John

#54 User is offline   Groverino 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

View PostMatthew Jones, on 10 December 2011 - 10:29 PM, said:

Question on the deadlifts... As the weight gets heavier I find my grip is giving out, while my form still feels good. I'm also doing farmer walks as you recommended to help strengthen my grip, but in the mean time, should I modify my grip or use straps or something like that?

Or can I only deadlift as heavy as my grip can take?

Lift until your grip gives out and then use straps.

#55 User is offline   Gant 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

Agree with Groverino. The deadlift also trains grip strength very well, but that is not the purpose of the exercise. If you want a huge contest-legal deadlift, you'll have to learn the alternating grip (one hand pronated, one hand supinated). If you want to get stronger hips, back, and legs, strap up. I rarely use an alternating grip anymore because of the stress on the biceps tendon. If I do, I alternate which hands are pro/supped. Most of the time I use double overhand/no hook until it gets too heavy. Then I use double-overhand with a hook. Then I use straps.
Your physiology doesn't care what your philosophy is.

Practical Strength for Trainers

#56 User is offline   shouldercharge 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:04 AM

first day today;
clean 70kg
front squat 60kg (the actual squat was easy,but i have a serious lack of mobility in the elbows and shoulders)
bench 80kg
chins 12,10,10

This post has been edited by shouldercharge: 23 March 2012 - 03:07 AM

#57 User is offline   brana 

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

View Postshouldercharge, on 23 March 2012 - 04:04 AM, said:

first day today;
clean 70kg
front squat 60kg (the actual squat was easy,but i have a serious lack of mobility in the elbows and shoulders)
bench 80kg
chins 12,10,10

you are posting in SnC aren't you?

#58 User is offline   kevsooner 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:31 AM

View PostCato.St., on 17 December 2011 - 04:42 AM, said:

So, I've been following this strength program for 5 weeks (thanks G) and am definitely getting stronger already compared with the random weights I was doing before, but I'm also getting gassed by the last 1/2 hour of judo classes which I wasn't before (it's also effecting the plyometric stuff I'm doing too).

I'm 45 (this probably won't apply to younger duds) and I'm thinking of keeping the base exercises in this program and doing one week at the reps stated, then halving the weight + doubling reps for the next two weeks, then having a cardio only week as a monthly schedule (increasing the base weight once a month). Anyone any thoughts?

Perhaps it's just me, maybe I should take up janken.

Why it is your reason for decreasing loading ( weight ) and doubling the volume ( reps)? What is the "plyometric stuff" your doing? Is their a need to even do Plyo's? Sometimes not.

Rather than just have a cardio only week I would suggest dropping strength training volume by 50%. This type of deload week could be more useful.

You might play around with one day squats and the second with some form of single leg w strength work.

It would also be wise to look at your eating, sleeping, work stress, and other habits.

#59 User is offline   shouldercharge 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

Hi gant on days when i dont have access to a chin up bar,would barbell rows be a suitable substitute?

#60 User is offline   Tim Neal 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

View PostGant, on 20 September 2011 - 04:08 AM, said:

It's getting to be that time again. A lot of "rate my program" questions are popping up. So, rather than be tacky and talk about how crappy most of this stuff is like I usually do--thus getting more negative feedback--here is a program.

This is what I recommend to the judoka I know who are starting a weight routine for the first time. This doesn't mean they haven't used weights; it means I haven't been around them while they're doing it, so I need a baseline. This also doesn't mean they aren't strong. If you bench 275 for reps, I'll still start you on this program.

Here is a two-day per week lifting program. If you work hard on this for 6-12 months, you will be stronger than 95% of the people who spout silly things on this forum (the other 5% have already done something similar to this). Notation is sets x reps (3x5 is 3 sets of 5 reps).

A:
Power clean 5x2
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Chin 3x10-15

B:
Power clean 5x2
Squat 3x5 (or front squat 5x3)
Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Program notes:
* You do this. That's it. I'd recommend another day or two of agility work, complexes, and sprints/prowler work, but that's another topic.
* You add a bit of weight to powercleans each week (not every day). It should feel a little lighter on B day. This is practice day.
* You can back squat both days if you want (that's what I recommend starting out). If you feel tweaked, if deadlifting is hard after squatting, or if you just want to front squat, then you can alternate.
* If you can do 3x15 dead hang chins, then you need to add weight to keep the reps between 10 and 15.
* If you have extra time at the end, do farmers walks. Great ROI.
* All work sets sets are "sets across" (same weight for each set). Do 3-4 warmup sets (always start with the empty bar) to get there.
* Add ten pounds per week to squat, five pounds per week to your presses, and 5 or fewer pounds per week to power clean.
* Once the weights feel heavy the gains slow, work for 3 weeks and deload for 1 week.
E.g. for squats:
week 1 405x5x3
week 2 415x5x3
week 3 425x5x3
week 4 225x5x3 (or go play soccer)
week 5 435x5x3 (or 425x5x3 if you need to)
etc.
***When you record your workouts, it is weight x reps x sets. I'm not sure why this is, but it is.

FAQ:
Q: This looks very similar to Starting Strength.
A: It looks like that for two reasons. One, SS being good and me being lazy, I see no need to change. Two, I have been friends with and trained at the author's gym since the late 90s (with a short break in there somewhere). I have discussed the tweaks I use for judo players. This is the result.

Q: What happens when I can't add weight any longer?
A: Ask when you get there. Most don't.

Q: Can I do...?
A: Maybe. But if you're asking because you don't know the answer, stick with the above until you sort things out.

Looks solid to me,I like the work of Jamie Hale when it comes to conditioning and he recommends similar protocls with some agility ladder stuff,KB work and sprints twice weekly.

His best articles on that are:

Jamie Hale on Conditioning for Combat Sports

and

JUGGERNAUT TRAINING

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic