• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you eat AFTER your workout? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   bythesea 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:05 PM

I get home around 10pm, four nights a week for judo. I am usually pretty starving because I eat a very light dinner around 5pm so that I don't go to judo with a full belly. I used to pig out, and have cereal, or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with a glass of milk; but, I realize all the eating and drinking is probably bad just before bed. I've heard that it is OK to take in some sugar after practice, because it goes directly to the muscles, but would love to hear what are some good post practice/late night practices. Lately, I've been enjoying orange sherbet after practice. Mmmmm.

This post has been edited by bythesea: 16 August 2011 - 06:06 PM

Kuchiwaza -- my tokuiwaza.

#2 User is offline   Seab Yalowicki 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:20 PM

We get done around 9, I like the instant muscle milk shakes and a ice cold shower. I usually chug a good gallon before bed

#3 User is offline   bythesea 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

View PostSeab Yalowicki, on 16 August 2011 - 11:20 AM, said:

We get done around 9, I like the instant muscle milk shakes and a ice cold shower. I usually chug a good gallon before bed

I've also heard that chocolate milk is good after a workout too.

#4 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:14 PM

beer. No actually, I don't eat much after practice. The thing is trying to hype down enough to sleep, so peanut butter - maybe, but that's a lot of calories. Toast with a bit of butter usually sits ok if I eat anything, and doesn't keep me up.

Gotta watch the sugar and caffeine if you're trying to sleep. That would make chocolate milk a no-no; chocolate contains caffeine and sugar. But, it's also a natural antidepressant, so you won't get any sleep, but you'll be happy about it....

Nice Avatar, bythesea, can you fix me up with something equally appropriate?
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

#5 User is offline   Gant 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:27 PM

Burger and a cookie dough milkshake from Braum's.

Ice cream > Abs in my world.
Your physiology doesn't care what your philosophy is.

Practical Strength for Trainers

#6 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:30 PM

View PostGant Grimes, on 16 August 2011 - 03:27 PM, said:

I love you
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

#7 User is offline   Marc D Thompson 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:40 PM

Curent thinking on sugar after excercise - after a judo class woudl be 1gm of sugar per kg of body wieght - this is best in the first 15minutes afetr excercise but up to 2 hour after ... basically your body matabolises the sugar as if it were still excersing so it goes straight to teh muscles....

Rehydration is also needed studys from Sydney University have shown mny things are better than water for hydration including milk and beer ...LOL but have other issues - LOL

This post has been edited by Marc D Thompson: 16 August 2011 - 09:40 PM

You can never walk in the same river twice

#8 User is offline   Dutch 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:41 PM

Yes sugar right after is great, I always enjoy a nice coke afterwards. When I get home like 30 minutes later, I usually have something nutricious (so with protein) like meat or tuna.
Bushi no nasake - the tenderness of a warrior

#9 User is offline   Beyond Grappling 

• Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:24 PM

The period directly after training has been coined "the anabolic window" by fitness trainers around the world.

This window is the first 3 hours after you finish training. In this time you need to re-fuel your body with glucose, protein as well as vitamins and minerals to begin rebuilding and restoring your body back to normal.
Many athletes bring their post training meals with them and consume after training. The important thing is that you are aware that your body is craving nutrients after training and it is vital that you refuel your body. If not you will be running on empty and may find it hard to concentrate, sleepy and moody.

Good after workout meals include:
- Chicken breast with rice and vegetables
- A Caesar salad
- Steak and potato salad
- Fruit salad and glass of milk

#10 User is offline   Ranma 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:52 PM

Though sugar might be "okay" after a workout, it's not necessary. Fructose is good for a quick refuel if you are going to continue on exercising, but otherwise a good protein + carb meal will do just fine.

I've also read that fructose would destroy the growth hormone response to exercise. So unless you need it to continue on, I don't see why you should have it.

Am I wrong here?

#11 User is offline   waterrob 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:20 PM

View PostGant Grimes, on 16 August 2011 - 01:27 PM, said:

I miss Braum's! Where abouts are you? I haven't seen one since I lived in Wichita...

#12 User is offline   joshgordonnz 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:41 PM

Mate most of these replies I would take with a grain of salt... No offense intended to anyone but some (not all) people seem to be VERY misinformed. yes sugar does metabolise quickly after a workout but there are better ways to replenish your carb stores. Do NOT drink COKE lol or anything carbonated for that matter. now it it all depends on your body weight etc and if you are trying to cut down to a lower weight class or whatever. The best response here so far is:

Good after workout meals include:
- Chicken breast with rice and vegetables
- A Caesar salad
- Steak and potato salad
- Fruit salad and glass of milk

But lets face it, a meal like that so late at night is gonna sit very uncomfortably while you sleep. This is what I do:

- 60gm (2 scoops) quick release protein powder (ProPeptide is good and is also batch tested so you can trust it contains no banned substances)
- 1 scoop carboplex powder
- 5-10gm BCAA (branch chain amino acid) powder
- mix all together with 250-300ml water
chug it back

personally I stay away from milk because I dont need the extra fat. You get enough fat from animal meat. stay away from potatoe salad as it contains way too much starch and the dressing is usually full of fat and sugar, same goes with fruit, at the end of the day fructose is just sugar.

Also the "3 hour anabolic window" is true, however you should be trying to get your post workout meal in within 3-40 mins to get the most out of it... the anabolic window is how long you burn calories for after your workout, not neccessarily how long you have to get your meal in.

Also weigh yourself before and after training, however many kg you lose during that workout is how many litres of water you should drink to keep hydration levels up.

One last point (I promise lol) is that liquid absorbs into the body much much much faster than solid food so a shake (such as the one above) will always be more beneficial straight after a workout than a meal.

I hope you found this helpful :-)

FYI - I am a professional in the health, nutrition and fitness industry as well as a judoka.

#13 User is offline   joshgordonnz 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:43 PM

View PostRanma, on 17 August 2011 - 11:52 AM, said:

Though sugar might be "okay" after a workout, it's not necessary. Fructose is good for a quick refuel if you are going to continue on exercising, but otherwise a good protein + carb meal will do just fine.

I've also read that fructose would destroy the growth hormone response to exercise. So unless you need it to continue on, I don't see why you should have it.

Am I wrong here?

You are correct :-) although i don't think that fructose destroying the growth hormone has been fully proven, but in saying that I havent looked into the most recent research on the topic

#14 User is offline   bythesea 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:51 PM

View Postjoshgordonnz, on 16 August 2011 - 04:41 PM, said:

weigh yourself before and after training, however many kg you lose during that workout is how many litres of water you should drink to keep hydration levels up.

hey, that's a pretty nifty tip. thx.

#15 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:55 PM

View Postjoshgordonnz, on 16 August 2011 - 06:41 PM, said:

But lets face it, a meal like that so late at night is gonna sit very uncomfortably while you sleep. This is what I do:

that's what I worry about most. It's not just the recovery from the workout, it's the need to get good sleep as well. Why we can't just have judo first thing in the morning and start work later is beyond me.
Disclaimer

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic