JudoForum.com: Ideal Judo Diet - JudoForum.com

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ideal Judo Diet Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Otter 

• Group: Full Members

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:42 PM

Hi all, i'm a young judoka with growing curiosity for everything judo. Just wondering if there is a a ideal (or specific) diet for the judo lifestyle.

#2 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:25 PM

as a young judoka, the best diet is a balanced diet with plenty of calcium, protein, and the other building blocks necessary for growth. Eat healthy and sensible, and let your body grow. And, a pizza now and again, or a milk shake is perfectly acceptable, especially as your metabolism is in high gear.

Don't worry about weight if you're under 22. Playing with your weight can have serious detrimental effects, so just be natural, play natural, and only worry about weight if you get to the point where you want to try to make an Olympic team.

Oh, and make sure you stay hydrated. Can't stress that enough - a lot of judoka don't drink enough water.
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

#3 User is offline   Fighting Spirit 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:38 PM

Here's a link to a lively forum discussion about milk from last year that you might enjoy...

:rolleyes:
Semper Fidelis,
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem." - Ronald Reagan

#4 User is offline   Kenan 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

This is what I take after every judo training:

Posted Image

+ some fresh milk.

Mmmm...damn..I'd like to have one now..but I don't have any..so sad.

This post has been edited by Kenan: 10 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

When I grow up, I want to be like Kosei Inoue.

#5 User is offline   billc 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:46 PM

View Poststacey, on 09 July 2011 - 03:25 PM, said:

as a young judoka, the best diet is a balanced diet with plenty of calcium, protein, and the other building blocks necessary for growth. Eat healthy and sensible, and let your body grow. And, a pizza now and again, or a milk shake is perfectly acceptable, especially as your metabolism is in high gear.

Don't worry about weight if you're under 22. Playing with your weight can have serious detrimental effects, so just be natural, play natural, and only worry about weight if you get to the point where you want to try to make an Olympic team.

Oh, and make sure you stay hydrated. Can't stress that enough - a lot of judoka don't drink enough water.

Ms. Stacey ... ditto on your advice .... everything in moderation ... but you might want to connect the healthy eating and the healthy weight a bit more directly. Obesity among children is a worldwide epidemic. I think you were referring to targeting a specific weight for competition, cutting weight to meet an artificial target, were you not? I mention it because obesity has killed ... really and directly killed ... relatively young members of our dojo ... and because obesity is tolerated in judo.

Young Otter ... you know if you are a chubby tubby, right? Kids are more realistic and aware in that regard.

And because you are asking, you show your intelligence. So even if you are not a junior sumo type ... you know already what you should eat and what you should avoid.

Short answer ... no ... there is no special diet for judo any different than a proper diet for any other active young person.

Maybe you are asking because you've seen advertisements that say a particular product will make you better at sports? You already know, get rid of all that sugar that people are trying to sell you. Because you are smart enough, read labels, the boring part on the side, not the advertisement on the front. "Sports drinks" for example could be the biggest lie ever bottled. People are trying to sell you bad stuff at a big profit ... stuff full of cheap sugar and corn syrup that they tell you is fun ... or sometimes even things they tell you is good for sports ... you should be a little bit angry about that. Be equally skeptical about other stuff too ... protein bars for example ... read what's in stuff and make a decision about whether it is worth the money to pay for packaging when what you need is already in the fridge ... probably better to eat what's in the icebox in fact ... especially the produce drawer, right?

And yeah, share a pizza every now and then with your dojo buddies ... because when people make friends at the dojo and do other stuff together they miss workouts a whole lot less often. You won't feel pulled away from judo by your friends because the dojo will be where your friends are. The secret to judo? "Never miss practice."

Does that answer your question, or are you wondering about something else?

This post has been edited by billc: 10 July 2011 - 06:46 PM

#6 User is offline   Agatsu 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

Burger is not bad....

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image

This post has been edited by Agatsu: 10 July 2011 - 07:32 PM

Vuk na ovcu svoje pravo ima
ka tirjanin na slaba čovjeka;
al' tirjanstvu stati nogom za vrat,
dovesti ga k poznanju prava,
to je ljudska dužnost najsvetija!
Njegoš

#7 User is offline   Otter 

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:58 PM

Thanks for all the replies, useful and interesting stuff. To clarify i'm not overweight by any scale, and as for sports drinks, always been told by my instructer to opt for natural sugars in bananas.

Thanks again.

#8 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:06 PM

View Postbillc, on 10 July 2011 - 01:46 PM, said:

Ms. Stacey ... ditto on your advice .... everything in moderation ... but you might want to connect the healthy eating and the healthy weight a bit more directly. Obesity among children is a worldwide epidemic. I think you were referring to targeting a specific weight for competition, cutting weight to meet an artificial target, were you not? I mention it because obesity has killed ... really and directly killed ... relatively young members of our dojo ... and because obesity is tolerated in judo.

We have a bingo. That's exactly what I meant.
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

#9 User is offline   billc 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:17 PM

View PostOtter, on 10 July 2011 - 12:58 PM, said:

Thanks for all the replies, useful and interesting stuff. To clarify i'm not overweight by any scale, and as for sports drinks, always been told by my instructer to opt for natural sugars in bananas.

Thanks again.

Good, you listen to your sensei ...

... but ...

... you just touched on a pet peeve. There is no such thing as "natural sugar" ... sugar is sugar ... yes, there are different sugars ... monosaccharides and disaccharides ... and we probably have to include all starches because the body converts them to sugar, some of them more or less instantly on consumption.

Bananas contain three sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose ... but this is the same sucrose in cane sugar, the same fructose in the corn syrup in that sports drink, the same glucose as your body makes by enzymatic hydrolysis of starch. Chemically the same. Twelve grams of sugar is going to be twelve grams of sugar in a tall Coke, in a sports drink, in a piece of bread, or in a banana.

Yes, there are other things in bananas like vitamin C and potassium that are good, but no free rides on sugar just because it's in a banana, OK?

http://www.nal.usda....oodcomp/search/

#10 User is offline   Gant 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:18 PM

View Poststacey, on 09 July 2011 - 05:25 PM, said:

And, a pizza now and again, or a milk shake is perfectly acceptable, especially as your metabolism is in high gear.

You misspelled 'mandatory.'
Your physiology doesn't care what your philosophy is.

Practical Strength for Trainers

#11 User is offline   Nick Kano 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:53 AM

View PostGant Grimes, on 11 July 2011 - 05:18 PM, said:

You misspelled 'mandatory.'

:lol:

#12 User is offline   billc 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:05 AM

View PostAgatsu, on 10 July 2011 - 12:30 PM, said:

Burger is not bad....

My son at a Lotteria in Harajuku ... ten patties and a dozen pieces of cheese ... NOT ideal ... but I guess that is what fuels those sets of 22 second 50s.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image

#13 User is offline   yabanjames 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:41 AM

View PostAgatsu, on 11 July 2011 - 04:30 AM, said:

Burger is not bad....

Ahhh, Japan. Land of strong judo and big burgers. Coincidence? Hmmmm....

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image

"Si vis pacem, para bellum." -- Vegetius
"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -- Thucydides

#14 User is offline   judogido 

• Aussie Bloke
  • Icon

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:25 PM

Pfff. Amateurs, the lot of ya.

NO-one is mentioning THE single most important part of the judoka's diet....
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic