• You cannot reply to this topic

Fukuda championships 2011 any info out there yet? Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   Taigyo 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:37 PM

View Postdanguy, on 12 October 2011 - 04:27 PM, said:

Especially since the competition director is presiding over this for the first time as a Judan. It is not often any doing anything in Judo can be performed before any of the living Judan want to watch what it is that the Judoka are doing.

That was a helluva sentence.
Actually you can have your kata looked at by living Judan if you go to the Kodokan Summer Kata Course. As for the non-living ones (presuming it fits within the confines of your belief system) they are watching all the Judo you do. :hypocritesmiley:

#17 User is offline   danguy 

• Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:37 PM

View PostTaigyo, on 12 October 2011 - 09:37 AM, said:

That was a helluva sentence.
Actually you can have your kata looked at by living Judan if you go to the Kodokan Summer Kata Course. As for the non-living ones (presuming it fits within the confines of your belief system) they are watching all the Judo you do. :hypocritesmiley:

Ran the sentence through Google translate and reposted an edited version as English. English is my first language, typing not so. But the point was, the Fukuda Kata Competition is one of the rare places you can perform and be watched by a Judan who invited you and actually wants to watch your judo.

Or to sensei's Soko Joshi Judo Club on the open monthly kata practice Saturdays.

As to the non-living Judan I like to think I carry part of their knowledge within me; passed to me by my sensei and others which I pass on to my students. I have always said the Judo knowledge you learn is not yours to keep, it is yours to pass on.

This post has been edited by danguy: 12 October 2011 - 06:46 PM

If I am doing "win," sloppy and sissy is fine; if I am doing Judo, beautiful is my rule and goal. Judo is far more important and rewarding than "win."

"What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball [Judo] player." --John Wooden 1910-2010

"You should first try to negotiate nicely but you can be strong after there's resistance, and know, just like in judo, when to catch them." --Rusty Kanokogi, 2008, on negotiating.

#18 User is offline   Kelly 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Validating

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:08 AM

Any results? We couldn't be there this year.

regards,
Kelly

#19 User is offline   danguy 

• Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:23 AM

View PostKelly, on 15 October 2011 - 08:08 PM, said:

regards,
Kelly

There will be. I had to leave during the awards ceremony. The dinner in sensei's honor is going on as I type.

A JF pair did get the silver for senior men's Itsutsu-no-Kata.

Competitors ranged from age 9-73.

See: http://JudoForum.com...post__p__668282

This post has been edited by danguy: 16 October 2011 - 03:44 AM

If I am doing "win," sloppy and sissy is fine; if I am doing Judo, beautiful is my rule and goal. Judo is far more important and rewarding than "win."

"What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball [Judo] player." --John Wooden 1910-2010

"You should first try to negotiate nicely but you can be strong after there's resistance, and know, just like in judo, when to catch them." --Rusty Kanokogi, 2008, on negotiating.

#20 User is offline   danguy 

• Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:40 AM

For those of you Aussies from "down under" I had the pleasure to speak with Phillip John Brain at length. He also had an opportunity to present the aka obi signed by many sensei from his area to Fukuda Sensei during the question and answer period between the competition and awards ceremony.

#21 User is offline   Taigyo 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:40 PM

Having put on a few tournaments myself I know how much work they are and what a massive exercise in managing chaos it is. However, for those considering putting on Kata tournaments I would make the following suggestions:

1. Assign a number to each pair/execution of a kata on each mat (most tournaments already do this), then display the number at the mat so people can more easily track when they are up (like Texas match system)
2. Report the score for each pair/kata immediately (or at least within a couple of minutes) after they finish

One more thing:

3. Provide Weapons for Kime no Kata and goshinjutsu- because of security concerns if you fly these have to be in checked baggage, which is getting a bit expensive

This post has been edited by Taigyo: 17 October 2011 - 07:03 PM

#22 User is offline   Theodore 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:49 PM

View PostTaigyo, on 17 October 2011 - 12:40 PM, said:

Having put on a few tournaments myself I know how much work they are and what a massive exercise in managing chaos it is. However, for those considering putting on Kata tournaments I would make the following suggestions:

1. Assign a number to each pair/execution of a kata on each mat (most tournaments already do this), then display the number at the mat so people can more easily track when they are up (like Texas match system)
2. Report the score for each pair/kata immediately (or at least within a couple of minutes) after they finish

Having competed in a number of Kata tournaments small and large through the USA, I would second both of these suggestions, at least for tournaments with several Kata on multiple mats.

They did both of these at the World Masters in Atlanta and Montreal and I thought that it made things run much smoother.

Regards,
Theodore Schwalm

#23 User is offline   kujosan 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:24 PM

View PostKelly, on 15 October 2011 - 08:08 PM, said:

regards,
Kelly

My first post in a long time! I've had a lot of work! Takusan shigoto ga arimasu, ne.

I thought the level of kata being displayed was very good this year. I enjoyed watching the various kata very much -- everyone did very well!

I don't remember any of the results except my and my partner's: we received 1st place for JNK Men's division, and 1st for Katame No Kata adult-novice. For JNK Men's, there were 4 pairs. For KNK adult-novice, we were the only pair. This is our second tournament (we attended last year too, and received 1st in JNK men's) and we are very happy by the result. We have practiced JNK so far for approximately 200 hours. We have a long way to go still, but one of the judges came up to me afterwards and said we show promise :-)

After the competition, Fukuda-sensei answered some questions, including (condensed questions and answers):
--What is your tokui waza? --> Uki waza
--What's next? --> do not stop with mastery of a Judo waza... you must then apply it to your life
--How old were you when you started Judo? --> 22 years old
--What is your favorite kata? --> Ju No Kata
--Who do you look up to? --> Kano-sensei
--How do you feel as a 10 dan? --> Full of joy

Shepherd-sensei also relayed a story about Fukuda-sensei's visit to the Kodokan and a casual conversation she had with Daigo-sensei. She asked him how old he is, and he said 85 (or something, I forget the exact number), and she replied, "So young?" Everyone laughed.

It was a nice competition. Soko Joshi did a great job. The venue is small so spectator seating is very crowded. They had a food stand open the whole time though, so many people sat in the hall outside, eating snacks and chatting with each other -- this left the dojo quieter and less crowded. I think the improvements mentioned by Taigyo are good ones (even though I have no experience in this area).

Oh, I also had the pleasure of meeting Taigyo and his partner! Super nice guys!

John.
Do not think dishonestly. The Way is in training. Become acquainted with every art. Know the Ways of all professions. Distinguish between gain and loss in worldly matters. Develop intuitive judgment and understanding for everything. Perceive those things which cannot be seen. Pay attention to trifles. Do nothing which is of no use. -- Miyamoto Musashi, A Book of Five Rings.

#24 User is offline   danguy 

• Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:07 PM

View Postkujosan, on 17 October 2011 - 02:24 PM, said:

My first post in a long time! I've had a lot of work! Takusan shigoto ga arimasu, ne.

I thought the level of kata being displayed was very good this year. I enjoyed watching the various kata very much -- everyone did very well!

I don't remember any of the results except my and my partner's: we received 1st place for JNK Men's division, and 1st for Katame No Kata adult-novice. For JNK Men's, there were 4 pairs. For KNK adult-novice, we were the only pair. This is our second tournament (we attended last year too, and received 1st in JNK men's) and we are very happy by the result. We have practiced JNK so far for approximately 200 hours. We have a long way to go still, but one of the judges came up to me afterwards and said we show promise :-)

After the competition, Fukuda-sensei answered some questions, including (condensed questions and answers):
--What's next? --> do not stop with mastery of a Judo waza... you must then apply it to your life

Shepherd-sensei also relayed a story about Fukuda-sensei's visit to the Kodokan and a casual conversation she had with Daigo-sensei. He spoke of some aches and pains. She asked him how old he is, and he said 85 (or something, I forget the exact number), and she replied, "So young?" Everyone laughed.

It was a nice competition. Soko Joshi did a great job. The venue is small so spectator seating is very crowded. They had a food stand open the whole time though, so many people sat in the hall outside, eating snacks and chatting with each other -- this left the dojo quieter and less crowded. I think the improvements mentioned by Taigyo are good ones (even though I have no experience in this area).

John.

See blue edit. The best part of getting old is being able to get older. I believe Daigo sensei was 83 at the time. In either case Fukuda sensei has 13 years on him; 1913 verses 1926.

This post has been edited by danguy: 17 October 2011 - 10:11 PM

#25 User is offline   kujosan 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:23 PM

View Postdanguy, on 17 October 2011 - 03:07 PM, said:

See blue edit. The best part of getting old is being able to get older. I believe Daigo sensei was 83 at the time. In either case Fukuda sensei has 13 years on him; 1913 verses 1926.

Thanks for the edit, DanGuy. So, "the best part of getting old is being able to get older"?!? Wow, that's really depressing!

John.
Do not think dishonestly. The Way is in training. Become acquainted with every art. Know the Ways of all professions. Distinguish between gain and loss in worldly matters. Develop intuitive judgment and understanding for everything. Perceive those things which cannot be seen. Pay attention to trifles. Do nothing which is of no use. -- Miyamoto Musashi, A Book of Five Rings.

#26 User is offline   girl fighter 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:28 PM

View Postkujosan, on 17 October 2011 - 09:24 PM, said:

Shepherd-sensei also relayed a story about Fukuda-sensei's visit to the Kodokan and a casual conversation she had with Daigo-sensei. She asked him how old he is, and he said 85 (or something, I forget the exact number), and she replied, "So young?" Everyone laughed.

John.

Hi we were unable to attend this yea for finacial reasons. Was there as may people as last time or more? Did they mix the groups like last year? Did anyone do all seven kata. Did the Japanese girls return for Juno Kata? Who was there from the year before?
And finally congratultions on you efforts. Did you guys win the grand championship?

#27 User is offline   kujosan 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:26 PM

View Postgirl fighter, on 17 October 2011 - 03:28 PM, said:

Hi we were unable to attend this yea for finacial reasons. Was there as may people as last time or more? Did they mix the groups like last year? Did anyone do all seven kata. Did the Japanese girls return for Juno Kata? Who was there from the year before?
And finally congratultions on you efforts. Did you guys win the grand championship?

Hi Girl Fighter. What I heard was there were about twice as many kata being done compared to last year. If you look earlier in the thread, Theodore and Taigyo talk about the number of competitors, pairs and kata. Last year, they used two mats. This year, they ran three mats, with a practice area in the gymnasium.

The girls from Japan were not there this year. A treat though is that we did see Nicole Leung and Douglas Tono and I think other people who are at the world championship level.

"Mix the groups"... I'm not sure I follow what you mean. If a division was small, they did combine some divisions for the medals. We'll have to look at the official results because I did not take notes, and there were many different divisions.

Did anyone do all seven kata. Hm, I'm not sure of that either. Nobody that I know of, but perhaps.

I'm sure the results will be posted in a little while so we can look and see who was there compared to last year. Of course there were many familiar faces in the crowd.

To be grand champion, you have to enter at least three kata, and have the highest combined total score (Itsutsu is not counted toward the final tally). This year,

the grand champion women were: Nicole Leung/Leeanne Oue
men: Bryce Oishi/Chase Oishi (I think?)
coed: Nicholas Lum/Darcy Kagawa (I think?)

I apologize that I don't have more answers for you. Hopefully someone will post the official results.

John.

#28 User is offline   Theodore 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:28 AM

View Postgirl fighter, on 17 October 2011 - 05:28 PM, said:

No one did all 7 this year, the closest was a young mens team that did 6, they got mens grand champion.

The teams from Japan were not able to make it does to conflicts with the college schedule in Japan that they come from.

There were about twice as many as last year.

Only a couple of division got combined this year, much less than last year, as there were more teams to go around, there were also quite a few more juniors this year.

If I had to make a guess I would say that probably about two thirds of the people from last year were there this year.

Myself, I did 4 Kata and placed in 2 (both sliver).

Regards,
Theodore Schwalm

#29 User is offline   danguy 

• Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:59 AM

View Postkujosan, on 17 October 2011 - 03:23 PM, said:

Thanks for the edit, DanGuy. So, "the best part of getting old is being able to get older"?!? Wow, that's really depressing!

John.

Not as much as the only other aging alternative. :unsure:

This post has been edited by danguy: 18 October 2011 - 01:11 AM

#30 User is offline   danguy 

• Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:03 AM

View Postgirl fighter, on 17 October 2011 - 03:28 PM, said:

I know there was one combining and I think there was a second. There was a good group. Perhaps someone could scan in the listing from the Program or the three by mat grouping sheets.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic