• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Do You Use To Clean Mats? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   funjudo 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:07 PM

What do you use to clean mats? I want to know the type of mop, the type of cleaner, etc. Do any of you use steam mops? If you use steam mops, does it sanitize as a cleaner would?

#2 User is offline   rokudan 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:32 PM

View Postfunjudo, on 18 June 2011 - 03:07 PM, said:

What do you use to clean mats? I want to know the type of mop, the type of cleaner, etc. Do any of you use steam mops? If you use steam mops, does it sanitize as a cleaner would?

You don't need any of this. Just kyu grades! :P

#3 User is offline   rberry13 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:48 PM

View Postfunjudo, on 18 June 2011 - 10:07 AM, said:

What is your mat surface, tatami, vinyl or canvas? If it's a vinyl or tatami surface, I'd recommend something like this: http://www.matsmatsm...t_cleaner.html. I don't think the type of mop matters much, though I'd have a separate bucket to rinse the mop in, and not intoduce all the filth you just mopped off the mat into the bucket you're trying to use to clean the mat. Never used a steam mop, don't know much about them... Don't know what you'd use on a canvas mat.
There is no end to training. Once you begin to feel that you are masters, you are no longer getting on the way you are to follow.
-Hagakure Bushido

#4 User is offline   Yboat 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:25 PM

a standard mop and a mat cleaning solution. avoid the mat man mops, those things suck.

#5 User is offline   Blacksmith 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:07 PM

View Postfunjudo, on 18 June 2011 - 09:07 AM, said:

We have a tatami surface on a sprung floor. We clean the mats at least weekly with the following germicidal/viruscidal : www.resilite.com/Departments/Wrestling-Mats-and-Supplies/Mat-Care-and-Cleaning/Mat-Cleaners.aspx

We buy the concentrate, dilute with water and spray on. We mop it up/dry with a 24 inch wide mop head. The mop heads are then washed after each use. With fans, the surface is dry enough in about 15 minutes for class.

No experience with steam cleaners. I would tend to avoid them on our surface as I can't imagine that getting some amount of condensed steam (water) between the individual tatami where it could grow funk would be a good thing.

Hope this is helpful.

#6 User is offline   danguy 

• Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:19 PM

View Postrokudan, on 18 June 2011 - 08:32 AM, said:

You don't need any of this. Just kyu grades! :P

And a few shodan to drag them around. Leave the manual labor to the lower ranks. :rolleyes:
If I am doing "win," sloppy and sissy is fine; if I am doing Judo, beautiful is my rule and goal. Judo is far more important and rewarding than "win."

"What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball [Judo] player." --John Wooden 1910-2010

"You should first try to negotiate nicely but you can be strong after there's resistance, and know, just like in judo, when to catch them." --Rusty Kanokogi, 2008, on negotiating.

#7 User is offline   funjudo 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

Zebra tatami mats.

#8 User is offline   Matthew Jones 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:57 PM

We use a diluted bleach solution. Kills everything. Doesn't affect the mats. We have standard judo tatami.

#9 User is offline   TallJudo 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:16 PM

Bleach is the way to go IMO, cheap and kills everything. At one BJJ club we use warm water and bleach, mop fifteen minutes before every class, turn the fans on, let it dry out. I think this is best because you know for sure you're rolling on a safe surface. A rope mop (think swab the decks type deal) is used and mop heads are cheanged out, cleaned in fresh bleach water and allowed to dry between uses.

Good gyms should smell like bleach is what we say.

#10 User is offline   Tafftaz 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:00 PM

View Postdanguy, on 18 June 2011 - 06:19 PM, said:

And a few shodan to drag them around. Leave the manual labor to the lower ranks. :rolleyes:

Yeah,peasants :big grin: :rolleyes:

#11 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:07 PM

the usual blend of bleach is 10 parts water to each part bleach. That'll kill just about anything.

But, if you want the more traditional approach, just use blood, sweat, and tears....
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic