• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how many reps do i need in weight training? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ajajudo 

• Group: Full Members

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:17 AM

hi guys, im doing weights for my training in Judo. Our school gym instructor gave us a program but it's all high reps around 10-12 reps per exercise. I was wondering, would it be better if i settled for low reps but heavier weights? thanks very much for the advice!

#2 User is offline   genetic judoka 

• Honorary Forum Woohooshidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:26 AM

it all depends what you're going for. do you already have good endurance but want peak power? if so yes do low reps high weight. I already have peak power but want better endurance, so I do higher sets (a set of 15 and a set of 30). the point here is your question is too broad to give a solid answer
"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

"Wise men don't need to prove their point. Men who need to prove their point aren't wise" -Lao Tzu

"When torrential waters move a massive boulder, it is because of momentum.
When a hawk’s strike breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing." -Sun Tzu

"The Way of strategy is the Way of nature. When you appreciate the power of nature, knowing the rhythm of any situation,
you will be able to hit the enemy naturally and strike naturally. All this is the Way of the Void." -Miyamoto Musashi

#3 User is offline   kevsooner 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:00 AM

There are pro's and con's to each. Depends on what needs improvement. However, strength is the foundation for other qualities.

#4 User is offline   Dave El'Judo 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:26 AM

wow, so many factors to consider here. Like it was previously mentioned here, depends on the end goal. If you havent done weights before or havent done them in a long time then as a reformed gym junkie(6 days a week, some times twice a day) i would tend to lean towards 3 to 4 sets of 10 to 12 reps. once this becomes easier you can increase the weight.

If you are young becareful about going heavy; you may do more harm than good. Its not always about the weight you lift, you need good form and a good diet to see results. gym time = 20% of overall gains. the rest is made up of quality food, REST, and mental state. Those who remain positive in their mind, will always produce the better gains in the end. god, i could talk for hours on this topic.. haha

laters....
Email me

Dave -_-

#5 User is offline   judogido 

• Aussie Bloke
  • Icon

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:12 AM

If it were ME I would do weight training in the 2-6 rep range. But I would be looking at improving my explosive strength, since I already have endurance (muscular as well as cardio).

This would be in ADDITION to plyometric training and circuit training.

IF I were to be looking at going up a weight category, (I'm 75/76 (so cutting 2-3kgs), looking at 81) I would be more in the 6-10 rep range, as well as paying attention to my protein/caloric intake and the exercises would differ slightly - less "powerlifting" and more "bodybuilding".

In any event, they'd all be compound movement exercises. Performed with strict form and with more rest in the strength than the hypertrophy stages. Also allowing for more fatigue in the hypertrophy - which affects judo training more, especially initially.

BUT..... FIRST.....

I'd have to clean out my garage so I could actually GET to my (hardly used) olympic bar....

And THAT's not likely to happen any time soon. :lol:

#6 User is offline   dacheese 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:17 AM

low-8 is generally considered strength training
8-12 is generally considered hypertrophy training
12+ is generally considered muscular endurance training

mileage may vary.

This post has been edited by dacheese: 22 March 2011 - 08:18 AM

#7 User is offline   smudgeoka 

• Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:42 PM

I really dislike advice which says choose one rep range over another. Its not helpful at all.

Rather than thinking about weights and rep ranges as an individual either or situation, you need to think about a longer term programme that will move from one rep range through to another, over a period of time.

Fitness is made up of different elements that include, muscular endurance, strength, speed, power, aerobic endurance, aerobic capacity, anaerobic capacity/endurance, flexibility and agility. These categories can even be broken down further, if your really serious.

Each subsection of fitness is dependent on the presence and quality of each of the other subsections and each is improved by a different protocol. (A combination of exercise type, exercise intensity and duration.) It is massively important that you work on these sections in the correct order. Always starting with general strength and conditioning. I suggest you spend a little time looking into Periodisation. Theres a lot of info out there. As always, check the quality of your source before taking it seriously.
“A flower falls, even though we love it; and a weed grows, even though we do not love it”

Dogen

Basically I think he was saying, " S**t Happens "

#8 User is offline   poytress11 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:58 PM

Lots of the same advice I would give has already been giving waiting for more info from op
YOUR FRIEND IN JUDO
MATT

#9 User is offline   Gant 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

View Postkevsooner, on 21 March 2011 - 11:00 PM, said:

There are pro's and con's to each. Depends on what needs improvement. However, strength is the foundation for other qualities.

This. And to expand, you also have to consider whether what you're doing (weight training) is the effective way to improve the targeted aspect.

In short, weight training can improve max strength, max power, strength endurance, and power endurance. Judo can also improve those aspects. So can bodyweight training.

I personally think the best use of weightroom time is spent getting stronger and more powerful. I use judo specific and bodyweight exercises (aerobic plyos, explosive repeats) to address the endurance aspects of strength and power.
Your physiology doesn't care what your philosophy is.

Practical Strength for Trainers

#10 User is offline   judojohn 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:52 AM

View Postdacheese, on 22 March 2011 - 03:17 AM, said:

low-8 is generally considered strength training
8-12 is generally considered hypertrophy training
12+ is generally considered muscular endurance training

mileage may vary.

Actually, strength training is in the 6-10 range or 8-12 range, depending on source. very low rep 1-4 is considered hypertrophy training. 12 + is muscular endurance training, and will help build minor strength increases.

#11 User is offline   silverjudo 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:10 PM

View Postjudojohn, on 29 March 2011 - 01:52 AM, said:

Actually, strength training is in the 6-10 range or 8-12 range, depending on source. very low rep 1-4 is considered hypertrophy training. 12 + is muscular endurance training, and will help build minor strength increases.

This is incorrect, training in the 8-12 range is hypertrophy training. Look at what any bodybuilder does, and compare that to the low reps that powerlifters and olympic lifters normally train at for max strength.

#12 User is offline   Darshu 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

View Postsilverjudo, on 29 March 2011 - 09:10 AM, said:

This is incorrect, training in the 8-12 range is hypertrophy training. Look at what any bodybuilder does, and compare that to the low reps that powerlifters and olympic lifters normally train at for max strength.

Not only that, but how is lifting less weight for more reps going to make you stronger than lifting a heavier weight?
John Schneider
JudoFitness.com

1. The Body is One Piece
2. There are three kinds of strength training:
• Putting weight overhead
• Picking it off the ground
• Carrying it for time or distance
3. All training is complementary.
-Dan John

#13 User is offline   Gant 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:09 PM

I may as well make my semi-annual "rep range" picture post that gets ignored.
Posted Image
Your physiology doesn't care what your philosophy is.

Practical Strength for Trainers

#14 User is offline   Qmystic 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:34 PM

It is loved tho GG :hap: :manoyes:

#15 User is offline   kevsooner 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:51 AM

View PostGant Grimes, on 29 March 2011 - 10:09 AM, said:

I may as well make my semi-annual "rep range" picture post that gets ignored.
Posted Image

Yeah, but which exercises should I use? :rolly: I didn't see tone or core on the chart. :lol:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic