• You cannot reply to this topic

Judo as self defense? Is that the point....or is it not Rate Topic: -----

#76 User is offline   McKinley 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:39 PM

View Postdanguy, on 27 February 2011 - 12:31 AM, said:

A goodly portion of the defensive tactics training was derived from Judo (e.g. Koga to name one teaching system.)

I would have agreed 10 years ago. We learned a good deal of Goshin Jutsu initially. Now...sadly, the shift has turned to Gracie Combatives, which makes sense as a supplement, but if you stop teaching wrist/arm locks you are doing the police officer an injustice. I also have a problem with teaching officers to fight on their back (or at least on the ground) as a primary defense system. Anyway....my agency has adopted a combination of Gracie combatives/Judo and Aikijutsu and it seems to be a decent combination. I'm going to the instructor school in April, and hoping to have a great time!

#77 User is offline   Qmystic 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:07 AM

View PostMcKinley, on 27 February 2011 - 08:39 AM, said:

I would have agreed 10 years ago. We learned a good deal of Goshin Jutsu initially. Now...sadly, the shift has turned to Gracie Combatives, which makes sense as a supplement, but if you stop teaching wrist/arm locks you are doing the police officer an injustice. I also have a problem with teaching officers to fight on their back (or at least on the ground) as a primary defense system. Anyway....my agency has adopted a combination of Gracie combatives/Judo and Aikijutsu and it seems to be a decent combination. I'm going to the instructor school in April, and hoping to have a great time!

Wristlocks should be the very 1st tech that shoud be learned by a serious judoka or wrestler for 'self-defence'. Top control to wrist-lock. Done and done.

wristlocks are wicked. From the ground.

This post has been edited by Qmystic: 28 February 2011 - 12:08 AM

#78 User is offline   Nick Kano 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:21 PM

One of the main criticisms for Judo as self defence I have found is that it is poor at dealing with multiple attackers. I was with a mate of mine at a party a few days ago and a guy decided to attack him, and then unfortunately a whole lot of others pilled on. He managed to break out and get away though, and he claimed it was because of his ability to break grips, which he'd learn't from Judo.

He does however, also have training in Boxing and Mauy Thai, but I think this is a good point none the less.

And to be honest, no matter what the system, I honestly think if you're fighting five guys, you're pretty screwed (but hey, look at what happened to my friend).

#79 User is offline   McKinley 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:48 PM

View PostNick Kano, on 02 March 2011 - 02:21 PM, said:

One of the main criticisms for Judo as self defence I have found is that it is poor at dealing with multiple attackers. I was with a mate of mine at a party a few days ago and a guy decided to attack him, and then unfortunately a whole lot of others pilled on. He managed to break out and get away though, and he claimed it was because of his ability to break grips, which he'd learn't from Judo.

He does however, also have training in Boxing and Mauy Thai, but I think this is a good point none the less.

And to be honest, no matter what the system, I honestly think if you're fighting five guys, you're pretty screwed (but hey, look at what happened to my friend).

If multiple attackers are involved, it's best to get away, just as your friend did. Imagine if each one of attackers had grabbed and controlled your friends limbs, while another pummeled him.....

#80 User is offline   tricityjudoka 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:18 AM

View PostMcKinley, on 03 March 2011 - 12:48 PM, said:

If multiple attackers are involved, it's best to get away, just as your friend did. Imagine if each one of attackers had grabbed and controlled your friends limbs, while another pummeled him.....

Your going to enjoy the DT/GDR it is very much in line with what you already know!!!!

#81 User is offline   McKinley 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:10 PM

View Posttricityjudoka, on 03 March 2011 - 09:18 PM, said:

Your going to enjoy the DT/GDR it is very much in line with what you already know!!!!

That's what I understand. I'm very excited about it, the others in the dept.....not so excited for my return in May. LOL!

#82 User is offline   tricityjudoka 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:29 AM

View PostMcKinley, on 06 March 2011 - 07:10 AM, said:

That's what I understand. I'm very excited about it, the others in the dept.....not so excited for my return in May. LOL!

I went through in September, good stuff, basic in some ways based upon what you know regarding newaza, and the other basic DT and PR24 stuff. Now that I have high jacked this thread!!! LOL

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic