• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Judo as self defense? Is that the point....or is it not Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Mr Brown Belt 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

Judo is useful for self defense. Somewhat. But as I mature, I realize that the aim of judo is physical education and character training.

Karate/Muay Thai and Sambo/BJJ is probably better SD than pure judo. MMA is real fisticuffs, and there is not that much judo in it.

Does that make judo useless? Of course not! Judo is a vehicle of self perfection and enlightenment, and it also has SD value.

I wouldn't reccomend children to do boxing or MMA. I think judo is a lifelong sport that has hundreds of benefit to the individual.

But if you are looking for narly streetfighting, better go to MMA and Weapons training.

I hope I haven't offended anyone with this topic. Discuss amongst yourselves.
"If you want peace, you must prepare for war"

"Fear the lord, and you need not fear anything else" Ben Franklin

"The Way of Heaven has no favorites- it's always with the good man" Lao Tzu, in the Tao Te Ching

#2 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:22 PM

View PostMr Brown Belt, on 16 January 2011 - 02:44 PM, said:

Judo is useful for self defense. Somewhat. But as I mature, I realize that the aim of judo is physical education and character training.

Karate/Muay Thai and Sambo/BJJ is probably better SD than pure judo. MMA is real fisticuffs, and there is not that much judo in it.

Does that make judo useless? Of course not! Judo is a vehicle of self perfection and enlightenment, and it also has SD value.

I wouldn't reccomend children to do boxing or MMA. I think judo is a lifelong sport that has hundreds of benefit to the individual.

But if you are looking for narly streetfighting, better go to MMA and Weapons training.

my recommendation would be to find a good therapist
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

#3 User is offline   Tafftaz 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

View PostMr Brown Belt, on 16 January 2011 - 08:44 PM, said:

And here we go again......

#4 User is offline   danguy 

• Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:57 PM

What part of walk away from potential street, bar, cage, train, subway fights are folks missing in their Judo training? Judo has served me well in learning how to avoid fights and survive those I could not, often without the need of landing a blow.

Best way to win a fight is too not have anything to prove or need to prove anything.

That said, if I am forced to fight, I am prepared to kill and I make that clear before I do anything. This certainly limits when I will fight and lessens the need to do so.

View Poststacey, on 16 January 2011 - 01:22 PM, said:

my recommendation would be to find a good therapist

X2

Oh, and you will never, ever be the baddest MF out there. There is only one of those guys and he has the authority to pull a nuclear cruise missile on you. Ain't no MMA or MA system to defend that; not that you'd ever see it coming.

This post has been edited by danguy: 16 January 2011 - 10:01 PM

If I am doing "win," sloppy and sissy is fine; if I am doing Judo, beautiful is my rule and goal. Judo is far more important and rewarding than "win."

"What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball [Judo] player." --John Wooden 1910-2010

"You should first try to negotiate nicely but you can be strong after there's resistance, and know, just like in judo, when to catch them." --Rusty Kanokogi, 2008, on negotiating.

#5 User is offline   JudoMojo 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:43 PM

The arts you mention all have some use for self defence, but are firstly enjoyable social activities with many other benefits in life.
I still personally find any training directed solely at self defence a bit dull. (probably a result of living in a decent neighbourhood and not being paranoid). I dont think many normal people train for 'narly streetfighting' and people who train MMA and weapon orientated martial arts have better reasons to do so. As for owning weapons, Im pretty sure thats a last resort type of thing that most people would never need to use.

#6 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:56 PM

View PostJudoMojo, on 16 January 2011 - 04:43 PM, said:

The arts you mention all have some use for self defence, but are firstly enjoyable social activities with many other benefits in life.
I still personally find any training directed solely at self defence a bit dull. (probably a result of living in a decent neighbourhood and not being paranoid). I dont think many normal people train for 'narly streetfighting' and people who train MMA and weapon orientated martial arts have better reasons to do so. As for owning weapons, Im pretty sure thats a last resort type of thing that most people would never need to use.

+1
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

#7 User is offline   Mr Brown Belt 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:36 AM

the point is, I don't do judo for self defense. I do it as an exercise and an expression of my inner will. There's nothing better than the beauty of a classical tai otoshi or uchimata.

training for self defense is stupid, and the best defense is awareness. Maybe I should stop posting in the combat and self defense chapter of the forum.

But still, the techniques of warfare and violence should be kept alive, for soldiers and cops, since there will always be bad guys out there. I'm just saying i no longer do judo for any other reason than self perfection and exercise.

"The Way of Heaven has no favorites- it's always with the good man" Lao Tzu, in the Tao Te Ching

#8 User is offline   Tafftaz 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:39 AM

For all the new-ish posters out there, you have to remember that Mr Brown Belt has a history of posting inane threads like this one. While he is harmless and sometimes slightly entertaining, his posts are always along the same lines.

Train more and talk less,then you would not have to ask what is better for sd/competition/for groundwork etc.

#9 User is offline   Dutch 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

I'd give short summary of a thread by mr Brown Belt:

Mr Brown Belt: Hey everybody, Ive started training in XXX (again), its the best for self defense because .....

Everybody: Well those are some outrageous claims, on what authority do you make them?

Mr Brown Belt: <insert some story about being talented and having trained on and off in several arts>

Everybody: Maybe you should persist in one or multiple arts and when you have enough experience see if your claims are still true

Mr Brown Belt: Ok I will start training this and this

Everybody: Wow we finally convinced him

Then several weeks or months later, the same thing happens again. As if our collective memory has abbandoned us and we forgot all about mr Brown belt.
Although he does make me laugh, it can be somewhat tiring, and I hope mr Brown Belt will eventually learn that one should not make claims about things he's not knowledable about. In fact, the more knowledgable you become the more you realise you know nothing.
Bushi no nasake - the tenderness of a warrior

#10 User is offline   poytress11 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:03 PM

Wow i haven't even been on this forum form very long and i still know mr brown belt you need to do some soul searching.
YOUR FRIEND IN JUDO
MATT

#11 User is offline   ultimo 

• Group: Full Members

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:22 AM

Mr brown you annoy me. Firstly, not everyone lives in the nice suburbs and awareness can only do so much, secondly karate better than judo for SD? give me two 16 year old's, one does karate one does judo, each has been going for a year, one kid gets chucked around and has resistant partners, the other has compliant partners and spars for points ( most likely) which do you think is better suited to defend himself? maybe you have never been in a fight before so you can not understand?

Again, Mr. Brown you annoy me.

Rant mode off.

#12 User is offline   wildman 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:01 AM

Sounds like a Troll job.

#13 User is offline   johan smits 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

View Postwildman, on 22 January 2011 - 02:01 AM, said:

Sounds like a Troll job.

Must be. Judo is great for self-defence for the average citizen. I do not care what kind of system people train in or how good systems are. There is only one way to learn how to streetfight. Go to the street and pick a fight and do this really, really often. Now you might not become good at it but you will be an experienced streetfighter. :ebrio:

Happy landings.

#14 User is offline   Mr Brown Belt 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:44 PM

View Postjohan smits, on 28 January 2011 - 09:34 AM, said:

Must be. Judo is great for self-defence for the average citizen. I do not care what kind of system people train in or how good systems are. There is only one way to learn how to streetfight. Go to the street and pick a fight and do this really, really often. Now you might not become good at it but you will be an experienced streetfighter. :ebrio:

Happy landings.

Barfights are easy. Two drunken white guys swinging sloppy punches at each other. Athletes are better than drunkards in fair fist fights. Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a fair fist fight outside the cage. Real life self defense is about weapons, multiple opponents, and surprise tactics. In short, crime doesn't pay, and although judo is effective, all the phoney guys with shaved heads and tattoos at the judo tournaments are greatly deluded about their own survival ability.

#15 User is offline   Dutch 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:09 PM

View PostMr Brown Belt, on 29 January 2011 - 05:44 PM, said:

In short, crime doesn't pay, and although judo is effective, all the phoney guys with shaved heads and tattoos at the judo tournaments are greatly deluded about their own survival ability.

Is it my english or is this the most incoherently writen sentence ive ever read?
Bushi no nasake - the tenderness of a warrior

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic