• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Judo saved my life Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   bromlinator 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:52 PM

This morning I was walking outside to take out the trash after a particularly bad snow/ice storm.I stepped on my front porch,not paying attention,and hit a patch of ice.....my feet went out from under me and I went into the air.I immediately(and instinctively)went into Koho Ukemi,tucked my chin/raised my legs/and even slapped the icy concrete,and got up unharmed and walked away.Thank God for my sensai and his focus on Ukemi....if not for Judo,I'd have bashed my skull or broken my back.Judo lessons are much less expensive than the emergency room!

#2 User is offline   Mitesco 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:00 PM

Good experience! :hap:

Since our country is almost under snow and ice for weeks, I agree that the judo lessons are very useful. Not just ukemi (I didn't use that so far) but also the way of walking and keeping balance on your feet.

#3 User is offline   Allen 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:29 PM

I was hoping for a dramatic tale of Goshin Jutsu in action, but Ukemi is awesome too :)

I've had a fall (at a tournament, ironically, from the bleachers!) about 3 feet onto concrete when my chair slipped off the back and instinctively tucked my chin. The chair bruised the back of my knee, but I was unharmed and able to compete, except my dignity :) That was by far my worst injury at the tournment, everything else was smooth.
Juu-dan or Death

#4 User is offline   BuRaiAnn 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:48 AM

Judo saved me from injury once too.

Stepping over a curb on a rainy day to get into the passenger seat of a car, and slipped on the grassy, muddy slope. Instinctively did Ukemi on my side. Got mud all over my gear bag, and clothing. Another time, I was playing a game of soccer with the Judo club, and bumped into a big guy, which sent me flying backwards. I did a break fall which carried me into a backwards roll.

The only time I ever had to use Judo for self-defense was when I had to use Hadaka Jime (Rear Naked Choke) on a drunk who was violently endangering myself, and another person. After the person started snoozing, I laid them out gently, and made sure they were breathing properly, a bit of Kappo. After the person woke up, they were calm.

I highly do not recommend doing this to anyone. I felt pretty bad afterwards, and it could have turned into an even bigger problem if the person didn't wake up or had gotten brain damage.

#5 User is offline   evelienp 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:09 PM

Last weekend I found out that my ukemi skills also work when drunk...

I was walking around in this party area, but friends got behind, so i turned to walk back to them when someone/something hit me on the jaw... Next thing I remember is me being on the floor, with a sore jaw and some broken glass in my hands... but my head was fine... meaning I have done something right... At the speed I had, my head definately would have hit the floor... It is a nice thing to know that I can trust my instincts and reflex when drunk :big grin:

#6 User is offline   Mediocrates 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:04 PM

Well done!

I remember judo helping me just after I'd started. I had my ukemi down pretty well, and a much better understanding of momentum thanks to constant drills of falling and rollouts.

I was rollerblading down a steeper hill than I could handle, and realized I was about to go down. I got ready to lean forward and roll out to break my fall... and then I remembered I was still on rollerblades, and doing a rollout would only make the next fall that much worse.

So I tucked by chin and sat back instead. :big grin:

#7 User is offline   Mitesco 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:59 PM

I don't know whether it was because of my pride that I did not yet slip away before on the icy streets in Helmond, or just because I carried a huge box at that time (and so unbalanced for a moment) but just today the wheather scored a big ippon on me. :angry: :lol:
I went flat on my back. :o
And my street is not exactly like a nice tatami... :sad(
However, the only damage was to the box I carried and nothing more. And my watch broke when I slapped the ice with my hands.
Indeed. Ukemi and a bit of good luck. Judo and a guardian angel. :hap:

#8 User is offline   Lifter82 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:07 PM

haha,

i was thinking about this very topic today.....as where i live in the UK, Essex specifically is still somewhat icy on the sidewalks and trying to navigate them is always an exercise in keeping balanced

AFA Judo saving my life, i remember when i leaving for college class when i lived in the Colorado, to go to a biochem class, and it was very icy on the sidewalk....i slipped and it felt like a perfect okuri ashi barai haha :big grin: well, as i am sailing though the air, i managed to twist and fall on my back with chin tucked, and land with a nice solid hand slap....got up and walked away with a pretty deep cut on my right hand......but no head trauma or back issues

the funny thing was that the last time i had done judo was about 10 years before that, so i guess that these skills are pretty permanent and the time spent practicing them was well spent......deof looking forward to getting back to the dojo though, as i have been ice/snow bound for a while now as i only ride a motorbike

#9 User is offline   mikejaqua 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:08 PM

Had a similar experience last winter myself. The best one I've known though is when our then 69-year-old kata sensei went over the handles of his bike (the wheel jammed in a grate of something I think). Sensei did a roll and came to his feet, just like one would for one of the big kata throws. Aside from some scrapes and the fact that his shoulder hit a rock, he was fine. The shoulder took a while to heal, but man, how many 69-year olds could take a head-over-heels-over-bike-handles like that and wind up on their feet?

#10 User is offline   billc 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

Old composition I have posted before, once read you will understand why I thought of it here. I found stuffed in the back of a kata book years ago ... would still like to know the authorship. It's a little bit hokey, but I think it is worth consideration.

Falling

A drunken man falls from his carriage without hurting himself seriously, remarked Chuang-tsu over two thousand years ago. This is because his body is relaxed and his spirit is entire. But actually confronting a fall, this knowledge is of no use; the body automatically contracts and stiffens.

A judo student must learn to fall, to meet the ground altogether instead of trying to keep off the ground and taking all the shock on one small point such as the wrist. After a time he can meet a fall on the judo mat, and if the teacher says “Fall’, he can do so.

Still something is lacking. One day the teacher comes up behind him quietly, and pulls him sharply over. If he falls then properly, it is part of him; he does it without knowing what he is doing. If the surprise makes him stiffen up, his training is incomplete.

Even after he can pass this test, there is one more. One day he will fall over, on ice or whatever it is, wholly by chance, and will fall properly. Once this happens, it affects his walking and his judo practice, because before he had always been subconsciously afraid of falling. Now the ground is his friend.

The application to the Way is to falls in life. To be able to take a disaster or a great failure, with the whole personality, without shrinking back from it, like the big smack with which the judo man hits the ground, then to rise at once.

Not to be appalled at a moral fall. Yet it is not that it does not matter. The judo man tries by every means not to be thrown, but when he is thrown it does not hurt him, and in a sense it does not matter. It matters immensely, and yet it does not matter.

七転八起

“Falling seven times, and getting up eight.”

#11 User is offline   revil 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:52 PM

View Postbromlinator, on 27 December 2010 - 08:52 AM, said:

I immediately(and instinctively)went into Koho Ukemi

What is koho ukemi.........
Judopedia - The collaborative judo project.

#12 User is offline   Mitesco 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:28 PM

View Postbillc, on 28 December 2010 - 06:12 PM, said:

Old composition I have posted before, once read you will understand why I thought of it here. I found stuffed in the back of a kata book years ago ... would still like to know the authorship. It's a little bit hokey, but I think it is worth consideration.
七転八起

“Falling seven times, and getting up eight.”

Nice text, Bill, thanks! :manoyes:

#13 User is offline   Wisconsinite 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:44 PM

View PostMediocrates, on 28 December 2010 - 10:04 AM, said:

Well done!

I remember judo helping me just after I'd started. I had my ukemi down pretty well, and a much better understanding of momentum thanks to constant drills of falling and rollouts.

I was rollerblading down a steeper hill than I could handle, and realized I was about to go down. I got ready to lean forward and roll out to break my fall... and then I remembered I was still on rollerblades, and doing a rollout would only make the next fall that much worse.

So I tucked by chin and sat back instead. :big grin:

I too used ukemi when rollerblading. I was happily rolling along while my husband had his soccer game. I hit a stone or a stick and lost my balance. I thought I'd use the same technique that I use when cross country skiing. I failed to take into account that pavement is much more abrasive than snow. :blink: I wound up doing a variation of a side fall and was spinning donuts down the hill. Padded bicycle gloves saved my hands. We went to our local watering hole after his game and enjoyed several cold beverages. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed the pavement had worn a nice sized hole in my shorts. :blush1: I then asked my husband if he noticed the hole. When he told me he did, I asked why he didn't say anything to me. He said he thought I knew about it. (Yeah, right. I knowingly would parade around a crowded pub with holey shorts.) :rolleyes:
You do not stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

#14 User is offline   Ben Reinhardt 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:08 AM

View Postrevil, on 28 December 2010 - 09:52 AM, said:

What is koho ukemi.........

Another name for ushiro ukemi.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic