JudoForum.com: Kata clinic with Sato Senseï and Nagaii Senseï - JudoForum.com

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kata clinic with Sato Senseï and Nagaii Senseï Which katas would ask them to teach you? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Alnobak 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:28 PM

If you would have to assist kata clinics with Sato Tadashi Senseï and Nagai Taeko Senseï, which katas would you ask them to teach you?
I am asking the questions to those who have had the opportunity to assist to their teaching recently.

I have already assist to kata clinic with Nagai Senseï many years ago, but since they are supposed to come to give clinics in February next year, many of us are wondering which katas would be appropriate for these clinics.

Your suggestions and reasons would be appreciate.

Best regards,

This post has been edited by Alnobak: 27 November 2010 - 03:29 PM

会うはわかれの始まり

#2 User is offline   wdax 

• Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:19 PM

Nagai: Ju-no-Kata (I worked with her)
Sato: depends, what you want - he is good in everything. I would take the chance of having a seminar in Koshiki-no-Kata (but I have no direct experience)

This post has been edited by wdax: 26 November 2010 - 09:21 PM

#3 User is offline   Cichorei Kano 

• Judo Forum Hachidan
  • Icon

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:19 PM

View PostAlnobak, on 27 November 2010 - 05:28 AM, said:

If you would have to assist kata clinics with Sato Tadashi Senseï and Nagai Takeo Senseï, which katas would you ask them to teach you?
I am asking the questions to those who have had the opportunity to assist to their teaching recently.

I have already assist to kata clinic with Nagai Senseï many years ago, but since they are supposed to come to give clinics in February next year, many of us are wondering which katas would be appropriate for these clinics.

Your suggestions and reasons would be appreciate.

Best regards,

Please, note that Nagai-sensei's first name is not 'Takeo', but 'Taeko', written 多恵子. <_<

I have done nage-, katame-, jû, kime-, goshinjutsu, itsutsu-, and koshiki-no-kata with Satô-sensei and he is well-versed in all of them in the sense of how these things are currently taught at the Kôdôkan. He does not know gô-no-kata though, that I know too, ha, ha, ha !! :big grin:

Nagai, as a protegé of Daigo has importantly improved too, and she actually demonstrated koshiki-no-kata during the past Kôdôkan summer kata course, which she did suprisingly well. She must have worked really hard on this. I can't remember who her uke, was, but it may well have been Satô.

Given the combination of both teachers, the most logical kata for them to teach, in my opinion, would be: jû-no-kata, itsutsu-no-kata and koshiki-no-kata. Of course there is a difference between performing and teaching a kata. While they can 'teach' the techniques of Koshiki-no-kata as is currently done at the Kôdôkan, do not expect in-depth explanations or nuances or historical insights the way that Daigo can.

This post has been edited by Cichorei Kano: 26 November 2010 - 10:40 PM

"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
"Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
"I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

#4 User is offline   sugatasanshiro 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

When we have monthly kata practice at the Kodokan Sato-sensei usually assists with kime no kata. Nagai-sensei has been
doing intent study of koshiki no kata with Daigo-sensei's Monday/Thursday night practice group.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts."
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

#5 User is offline   heikojr 

• KROM
  • Icon

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:30 AM

Miss Nagai worked with Jeff and i on our Ju-no-kata while we were at the Kodokan. She was great!

heikojr
"Human life is truly a short affair. It is better to live doing the things that you like. It is foolish to live within this dream of a world seeing unpleasantness and doing only things that you do not like." Yamamoto Tsunetomo

#6 User is offline   Jonesy 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:39 AM

Koshiki-no-kata.
Dr Llyr C Jones

#7 User is offline   Judoturtle 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:40 AM

View PostCichorei Kano, on 27 November 2010 - 08:19 AM, said:

Please, note that Nagai-sensei's first name is not 'Takeo', but 'Taeko', written 多恵子. <_<

I have done nage-, katame-, jû, kime-, goshinjutsu, itsutsu-, and koshiki-no-kata with Satô-sensei and he is well-versed in all of them in the sense of how these things are currently taught at the Kôdôkan. He does not know gô-no-kata though, that I know too, ha, ha, ha !! :big grin:

Nagai, as a protegé of Daigo has importantly improved too, and she actually demonstrated koshiki-no-kata during the past Kôdôkan summer kata course, which she did suprisingly well. She must have worked really hard on this. I can't remember who her uke, was, but it may well have been Satô.

Given the combination of both teachers, the most logical kata for them to teach, in my opinion, would be: jû-no-kata, itsutsu-no-kata and koshiki-no-kata. Of course there is a difference between performing and teaching a kata. While they can 'teach' the techniques of Koshiki-no-kata as is currently done at the Kôdôkan, do not expect in-depth explanations or nuances or historical insights the way that Daigo can.

Nagai Sensei and Sato Sensei both performed Koshiki no Kata in Sydney when they were last here, I was not instructed by Nagai Sensei, but Sato Sensei was fantastic with kdk Goshin Jutsu and Sato Sensei and Doba Sensei both instructed us in Nage no Kata...

Sato Sensei has quite reasonable English also...
Win big or lose big...nothing in-between...

#8 User is offline   Alnobak 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:18 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Sorry for the wrong spelling of Nagai Senseï first name. Thank you for correcting, CK Senseï.

Reading all of your answers, I think that my suggestions to the Provincial Gradind Board will be: Ju-no-kata (One can not miss that chance with Nagai Senseï around), Itsutsu-no-kata, Koshiki-no-kata and Kime-no-kata.

I guess some people will disagree with me because Itsutsu-no-kata and Koshiki-no-kata are not katas asked in Kata championships but the idea is to know more about the essence of Kôdôkan Judo and have direct teaching from those who teach there. There are so many interpretations around. Hoping this will bring back some self proclaimed "Master" on the track...though I doubt they will assist to the clinics.

On the other hand, were could I find recent profile of Sato Senseï and Nagaï Senseï? Even in japanese would be ok.
Are not both of them, judges for World kata championships?
I remember Sato back in the mid-70s at Keishichô. But this is long time ago.

So once again, thank you all for the informations.

Best regards to all of you.

This post has been edited by Alnobak: 27 November 2010 - 03:31 PM

会うはわかれの始まり

#9 User is offline   Cichorei Kano 

• Judo Forum Hachidan
  • Icon

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:50 PM

View PostAlnobak, on 27 November 2010 - 08:18 PM, said:

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Sorry for the wrong spelling of Nagai Senseï first name. Thank you for correcting, CK Senseï.

Reading all of your answers, I think that my suggestions to the Provincial Gradind Board will be: Ju-no-kata (One can not miss that chance with Nagai Senseï around), Itsutsu-no-kata, Koshiki-no-kata and Kime-no-kata.

I guess some people will disagree with me because Itsutsu-no-kata and Koshiki-no-kata are not katas asked in Kata championships but the idea is to know more about the essence of Kôdôkan Judo and have direct teaching from those who teach there. There are so many interpretations around. Hoping this will bring back some self proclaimed "Master" on the track...though I doubt they will assist to the clinics.

On the other hand, were could I find recent profile of Sato Senseï and Nagaï Senseï? Even in japanese would be ok.
Are not both of them, judges for World kata championships?
I remember Sato back in the mid-70s at Keishichô. But this is long time ago.

So once again, thank you all for the informations.

Best regards to all of you.

I think you will have some difficulty finding profiles or publicly available résumés since both are really merely "performing staff" at the Kôdôkan and not policy makers, of people with huge professional or competitive achievements like Daigo or Abe or Osawa.

If I remember well, I think Satô has been a Kôdôkan 8th dan since 2001, and is indeed an IJF Kata judge for all IJF kata. He also has won the All Japan Kata Championships in Koshiki-no-kata partnering with Utsugi-sensei, and he has demonstrated this kata both during the Kagami-biraki and during the All Japan (shiai) Championships. He has been an uke espec. for Daigo (koshiki) and itsutsu (Osawa), when the latter was still able to do full demonstrations. He was an uke for Daigo during Daigo's EJU kata seminar in Rome many years ago.
"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
"Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
"I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

#10 User is offline   Alnobak 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:24 PM

View PostCichorei Kano, on 27 November 2010 - 11:50 AM, said:

I think you will have some difficulty finding profiles or publicly available résumés since both are really merely "performing staff" at the Kôdôkan and not policy makers, of people with huge professional or competitive achievements like Daigo or Abe or Osawa.

If I remember well, I think Satô has been a Kôdôkan 8th dan since 2001, and is indeed an IJF Kata judge for all IJF kata. He also has won the All Japan Kata Championships in Koshiki-no-kata partnering with Utsugi-sensei, and he has demonstrated this kata both during the Kagami-biraki and during the All Japan (shiai) Championships. He has been an uke espec. for Daigo (koshiki) and itsutsu (Osawa), when the latter was still able to do full demonstrations. He was an uke for Daigo during Daigo's EJU kata seminar in Rome many years ago.

Thank you very much, CK Senseï.
会うはわかれの始まり

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic