JudoForum.com: Judo in Maine? - JudoForum.com

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Judo in Maine? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Deborah 

• Group: Full Members

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:55 PM

I just moved to Maine in the Ellsworth area (on the coast, near Acadia National Park). The nearest dojo I have identified is 100 miles from here. Are there any judoka in the area of Ellsworth, Bangor, or Belfast? Any interest in starting a dojo? All information appreciated.

#2 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:14 AM

wow, you're not kidding.

You might contact:
Maine State Organization
Diane Dubois, President
446 Webster Street
Lewiston, ME 04240
Phone: 207.783.2392
E-mail: DUBWillow@aol.com

and see if they know of a club in your area, or maybe one associated with a college or university.
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

#3 User is offline   Deborah 

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:34 AM

View Poststacey, on 17 November 2010 - 07:14 PM, said:

wow, you're not kidding.

You might contact:
Maine State Organization
Diane Dubois, President
446 Webster Street
Lewiston, ME 04240
Phone: 207.783.2392
E-mail: DUBWillow@aol.com

and see if they know of a club in your area, or maybe one associated with a college or university.

I just sent her an email today, waiting to hear back. Thanks for the info.

#4 User is offline   jb1144 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:58 PM

Stacey already gave you the address for the USA Judo contact for Maine.

The USJA list 5-clubs in the state, they are in the southern to mid part of the state. There is no listing of clubs for the USJF that I could find for that area. The USJF Yudanshakai for that area does not have a web page.

But you also might try contacting the USJF directly at:

Mailing Address
United States Judo Federation
P.O. Box 338
Ontario, OR. 97914

Telephone
Telephone(541) 889-8753Fax 1(541) 889-5836Fax 2(413) 502-4983

Or you might want to contact the USJA to see if they have an unlisted club in that area.
you can contact the USJA at:

katrina.davis@usja-judo.org, She is the Executive Director.

#5 User is offline   Deborah 

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:27 AM

Thank you for the additional information and I will try contacting both USJA and USJF. Have not heard from Diane Dubois yet. I'm feeling less optimistic at this point - would be glad even to find someone with a gi to do uchi komi with :hap:

View Postjb1144, on 19 November 2010 - 06:58 PM, said:

Stacey already gave you the address for the USA Judo contact for Maine.

The USJA list 5-clubs in the state, they are in the southern to mid part of the state. There is no listing of clubs for the USJF that I could find for that area. The USJF Yudanshakai for that area does not have a web page.

But you also might try contacting the USJF directly at:

Mailing Address
United States Judo Federation
P.O. Box 338
Ontario, OR. 97914

Telephone
Telephone(541) 889-8753Fax 1(541) 889-5836Fax 2(413) 502-4983

Or you might want to contact the USJA to see if they have an unlisted club in that area.
you can contact the USJA at:

katrina.davis@usja-judo.org, She is the Executive Director.

#6 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:28 AM

View PostDeborah, on 19 November 2010 - 06:27 PM, said:

Thank you for the additional information and I will try contacting both USJA and USJF. Have not heard from Diane Dubois yet. I'm feeling less optimistic at this point - would be glad even to find someone with a gi to do uchi komi with :hap:

understand the feeling. Worse comes to worst, start your own club at a Y or rec center. They usually have something at least mildly reasonable for mats.
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

#7 User is offline   jb1144 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:41 AM

Deborah,

I'm moving to Maine from Alaska in about 2-3 months. But I will be living and working out of the Damariscotta area. I'm opening a restaurant in Augusta. Let me know how things turn out for you.

#8 User is offline   Deborah 

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:00 AM

View Postjb1144, on 19 November 2010 - 07:41 PM, said:

Deborah,

I'm moving to Maine from Alaska in about 2-3 months. But I will be living and working out of the Damariscotta area. I'm opening a restaurant in Augusta. Let me know how things turn out for you.

Hi - I haven't found any judo dojo in Down East Maine. There is supposed to be a dojo in Lewiston and maybe in Portland.

#9 User is offline   Deborah 

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:03 AM

View Poststacey, on 19 November 2010 - 07:28 PM, said:

understand the feeling. Worse comes to worst, start your own club at a Y or rec center. They usually have something at least mildly reasonable for mats.

It's getting to that point. But as a nikyu, I'm not qualified to teach. Was hoping to find a black belt who would want to be an instructor.

#10 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:14 AM

View PostDeborah, on 03 December 2010 - 10:03 PM, said:

It's getting to that point. But as a nikyu, I'm not qualified to teach. Was hoping to find a black belt who would want to be an instructor.

you might want to ask one of the orgs about whether you can start a club and/or teach. You'll also be amazed at who shows up once you have a time and space. Best bet, though, is to make a commitment to travel at least once a month, if possible, to take in a class with a higher rank so you can continue to learn and get challenged beyond the challenge of teaching.

Last I heard, you'll probably be able to teach under at least one of the orgs.
Disclaimer

#11 User is offline   Judolady 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:53 PM

View PostDeborah, on 03 December 2010 - 11:00 PM, said:

Hi - I haven't found any judo dojo in Down East Maine. There is supposed to be a dojo in Lewiston and maybe in Portland.

Hi, Deb,

Will check around and get back to you by PM, and you're welcome to visit us whenever you like. :amigos:
Do what you love; love what you do.

Visit us at: NorwichJudoDojo.com

"Attitudes are better caught than taught" -- John Saylor

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic