• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Masters Class National Competition? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Nishiki7 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:50 PM

I have a couple of questions since I am back in Judo and would like to get more info. on Masters National Competition here in the USA. I haven't seen much info. regarding Masters tournaments. I was on USAJUDO site and under rankings see that there were 5 U.S. tournaments in 2010. I understand state & local tournaments where over 30 goes up against any age group above that and weight category is usually light and heavy.

Is there about 5 national masters events every year where they break down age groups and weight categories like 40-44, 45-49, 50-54 and so forth?

Also when are the schedules usually released for 2011?

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

#2 User is offline   Vin 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:59 PM

Age bracket starts at 30-34, 35-39... Weight is the same as regular seniors. 60Kg, 66Kg, 73Kg... I am not sure of too many coming in at lighter than 60Kg. At the bigger events such as US Open and the US Senior National if not enough competitors show up, the tournament pool coordinators may move the age and weight brackets around.
Vinh Chung
kodokangear.com
twitter: kodokangear
Blog: Kodokangear Blog
vin@kodokangear.com

#3 User is offline   Taigyo 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:53 PM

As stated, local tournaments are pretty much a grab bag with them drawing the line for masters at 30, 35 (most common) or 40. At best they are usually light-medium-heavy, often there are so few people everyone ends up in the same pool. National level tournaments are the only place where they run official weight classes, and they do often have to combine age groups to give people some competition. I think the 5-year divisions are a bit excessive, 10 years is probably plenty up to 50 years old, then maybe 5 year groups.

You can have a lot of fun with the masters division, sometimes you even get to compete with people like former Olympic team members.

#4 User is offline   Nishiki7 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:37 PM

I'm with you on that where 10 years age divisions makes more sense. Local tournaments are tough where many are 15-20 years my junior but the hardest part is when they outweigh you by 40+ lbs. That's the reason why I have interest in the Masters Natl. events. I missed out on all these years of Judo but it is the sport that Istarted with and it will be the sport I end with.

#5 User is offline   bythesea 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

I usually sign up for masters at every tournament. I think I've actually fought in a proper masters pool with people my own age and weight -- ONCE. Usually I'm chucked in with younger guys.

I'm not sure what's worse: going against a 20-something my own size, but with insane athleticism (and often good technique), or an old guy with less athleticism, good technique, and who outweighs me by 50 lbs. I just go to give it a whirl, and don't worry about who I get paired up with. Whether it's a 'yute', or an giant old guy, it's all the same to me.

I think if you are looking for masters competition, you have to look at masters tournaments. Although, I think the masters 'league' was recently subsumed by USAJudo. Don't know what the status is.
Kuchiwaza -- my tokuiwaza.

#6 User is offline   Nishiki7 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:08 PM

I hope USAJudo does have a Masters class next year. I don't have a problem going up against anyone, but when I am pinned down by someone that weighs 40+ pounds it's almost impossible to get out no matter how good my technique is.

#7 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:04 AM

USA Judo has a few tournaments. USJA has a few tournaments. Some tournaments do a good job of getting masters to come out, like the Chavez and Denver Dojo's tournament.

It's much worse if your over 30 and a female. The All Women's events do a good job of trying to get us out.

Don't count on the USA Judo tournaments to actually give you competition in your age and weight bracket. If you look at the tournament pools, you'll find out just how shallow it is.

Instead, ask other masters in your area about good tournaments.
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

#8 User is offline   Nishiki7 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:35 PM

Thanks. I'll ask around. One more question on the National event level. If there is no one in your class or the minimum entrants not met do you go down one or a lower age group? I would be in 45-49 Under -90kg, would I go one group lower 40-44 -90kg, 35-39 -90 kg, 30-34 -90kg? Or can you select one?

#9 User is offline   Judoheidi 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:51 PM

View PostNishiki7, on 26 October 2010 - 07:35 AM, said:

Thanks. I'll ask around. One more question on the National event level. If there is no one in your class or the minimum entrants not met do you go down one or a lower age group? I would be in 45-49 Under -90kg, would I go one group lower 40-44 -90kg, 35-39 -90 kg, 30-34 -90kg? Or can you select one?

I believe the standard is that you can go down in age until competition is found, or up in weight in the same age until competition is found.
Live every day like you are dying of a contagious disease that turns people into zombies when you bite them.

www.denverjudo.com

#10 User is offline   Allen 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:09 PM

View PostJudoheidi, on 26 October 2010 - 04:51 PM, said:

I believe the standard is that you can go down in age until competition is found, or up in weight in the same age until competition is found.

I had to go down in age (22 year old compared to my 34) and up in weight (265 compared to my 230) - it didn't end pretty but I had fun. (This was novice division, and we were the only two competitors in 'senior novice heavy'
Juu-dan or Death

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked