• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Judo fingers - Can I do? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   fightme 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:35 PM

I just wanted to get some advice for some senior judokas. The first knuckle on most of my fingers are arthritic from years of gi gripping in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu but the Judo gripping has taken the pain to a whole new level.

I tape every class which does help some but does anyone have any addition tips which might give me some relief. I love Judo and I hate the idea of stopping but I am at my wits end.

Thanks,
Travis

#2 User is offline   JoshuaResnick 

• Its Okay. My wife thinks I am a fool too.
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:10 PM

there are a few things you can do...

1. learn the TECHNIQUES to holding the gi. there are ways to do and ways that get your fingers broken. it isnt a matter of where to put your hands, but of how you actually hold the gi in your hands. it might sounds stupid, but it is a common misconception at many judo clubs and is one of the biggest gripping factors that sererates the "good" from the "could be good."

2. strengthen your grip. you have to go through the process of strengthening the muscles in your hand, not just the forearms, but the actual muscles in the hands and fingers.

3. learn when to let go of a grip. holding on for the sake of holding on does not always help you any.

4. you can try using a heat pad on your hands prior to judo and ice your hands after judo.

5. make sure your fingers and hands are well stretched before and after judo as well.

6. if certain knuckles are worse than others you can try to buddy-tape them or search the internet for other taping methods for fingers. i personally use support strips on my fingers and then hold those down with figure-8's.
"When life backs you onto the ropes, remember Ali and the Rope-A-Dope." -joshua resnick

#3 User is offline   Qmystic 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:34 PM

also maybe look at overtraining them too. Maybe try some other physical activities and give them a rest. I remeber when I used to think my grips were weak and I trained them heavy with grippers and the like and all I got were cysts or ganglions in my wrists. Better dynamics smokes a stronger grip at alot of places so train the other stuff more. Theres more footwork in judo.lol j/k

This post has been edited by Qmystic: 24 July 2010 - 10:35 PM

#4 User is offline   mikejaqua 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:42 PM

I have the same problem from osteoarthritis in my hands. The best thing I have found is a Chinese liniment called Zheng Gu Shui. You can buy it online or at a store that sells Chinese herbs (e.g. some acupuncture places). Here's one link I found, but you may be able to find a better price at a local shop in your area. http://www.taoofherb...ZhengGuShui.htm

Note: if you get this stuff; don't get it anywhere near your eyes or mucous membranes. And for the luvapete, don't take a pee shortly after putting in on your hands. (Personal experience on that last.)

#5 User is offline   Haomaru 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:07 AM

and also sign in for the bed bath and beyond(not advertising, just because they have the best tape in my opinion), so u get the 20% coupon every other week!
i use a lot of tape, but helps for me, my pain is in control now.:manoyes:;wry):glass)

#6 User is offline   judoka_uk 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:26 AM

View PostJoshuaResnick, on 24 July 2010 - 11:10 PM, said:

there are a few things you can do...

1. learn the TECHNIQUES to holding the gi. there are ways to do and ways that get your fingers broken. it isnt a matter of where to put your hands, but of how you actually hold the gi in your hands. it might sounds stupid, but it is a common misconception at many judo clubs and is one of the biggest gripping factors that sererates the "good" from the "could be good."

2. strengthen your grip. you have to go through the process of strengthening the muscles in your hand, not just the forearms, but the actual muscles in the hands and fingers.

What are the techniques you recommend for holding the gi? How did you/ do you recommend strengthening the hand muscles?

#7 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:34 AM

what has helped me, and came as a total surprise is SAMe. I tried it on a lark, thinking, yeah, this is just new aged herbalist b.s., as is anything that helps such a variety of problems, but it actually works for me.

And, yeah, learn to let go of grips.

I think I know what Josh Resnick means by a proper grip, but I'll let him answer so I don't completely embarrass myself.
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

#8 User is offline   Shindai Warrior 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:31 AM

View Postfightme, on 24 July 2010 - 11:35 AM, said:

I just wanted to get some advice for some senior judokas. The first knuckle on most of my fingers are arthritic from years of gi gripping in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu but the Judo gripping has taken the pain to a whole new level.

I tape every class which does help some but does anyone have any addition tips which might give me some relief. I love Judo and I hate the idea of stopping but I am at my wits end.

Thanks,
Travis

There are exercises that can strengthen the fingers, though they are best done when one's fingers are not inflamed from too much grip fighting. The machines with individual buttons for each finger are the best to strengthen the first two knuckles and accompanying tendons.

Josh's advice about icing hands after Judo seems worthwhile. For those who try it let us know how well it works.
I've heard of football players bathing in ice water after practices.

However, that current Judo grip fighting puts such undue stress(distress) on one's finger joints, it makes the current fashion in effect "anti-Judo".

Normal judo is a healthy activity whose pursuit should not render many or most of it's practitioners arthritic, as our Judo Forum Bishops will attest. There is no 'Jita Kyoei" in arthritis.

The substitution of patty-cake and ripping grips is not a rational substitute for the skilled application of waza and Judo principles but merely masking of the lack thereof.

#9 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:43 AM

View PostShindai Warrior, on 24 July 2010 - 08:31 PM, said:

Josh's advice about icing hands after Judo seems worthwhile. For those who try it let us know how well it works.
I've heard of football players bathing in ice water after practices.

Caution, ice and heat work differently for each person. Personally, every joint I have that has some level of arthritis in it HATES ice. Heat works much better for me. From what I've been told, try ice. If it hurts or makes the joint feel worse, try heat.
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

#10 User is offline   Shindai Warrior 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:37 AM

View Poststacey, on 24 July 2010 - 06:43 PM, said:

Caution, ice and heat work differently for each person. Personally, every joint I have that has some level of arthritis in it HATES ice. Heat works much better for me. From what I've been told, try ice. If it hurts or makes the joint feel worse, try heat.

In your case, I'd recommend a white fur lined gi. Perhaps that of an Artic fox, which could become your nickname.

"The Fox", it's so much more dignified and more predatory than say..."rubber chicken".

Such a heading on your business card would be :specool: .

#11 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:21 AM

View PostShindai Warrior, on 24 July 2010 - 09:37 PM, said:

In your case, I'd recommend a white fur lined gi. Perhaps that of an Artic fox, which could become your nickname.

"The Fox", it's so much more dignified and more predatory than say..."rubber chicken".

Such a heading on your business card would be :specool: .

maybe faux artic fox fur

:manoyes: :manoyes:
Disclaimer

#12 User is offline   fightme 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:22 AM

Thanks for the all of the advice. I will continue to tape my finger but I was wondering how long should I apply the heat and ice?

#13 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:26 AM

View Postfightme, on 24 July 2010 - 10:22 PM, said:

Thanks for the all of the advice. I will continue to tape my finger but I was wondering how long should I apply the heat and ice?

until you fall asleep....

no, this a "do as I say, not as I do" type situation and your family and insurance company will appreciate it. Go 5-10 minutes on and 5-10 minutes off until the ice melts enough that the bag starts leaking or you feel better. I use moist heat - I take a hand towel, drench it in water, ring it out, and put it into the microwave for a minute or two depending on the thickness of the towel. Remember, avoid burns and freezing by putting a towel between you and the source of the heat/cold. And, don't fall asleep with ice on your groin - the frost bite is amazing.
Disclaimer

#14 User is offline   Shindai Warrior 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:35 AM

View Poststacey, on 24 July 2010 - 08:21 PM, said:

maybe faux artic fox fur

:manoyes: :manoyes:

A business card with "The Fake Fox" is going to get a much different reaction, especially from
the robed one sitting up at the front. :unsure1:

#15 User is offline   Nic 

• Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:22 AM

Are you sure it's arthritis and not chronic tendonitis? I'd advise a visit to the doc to get a diagnosis before deciding treatment.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic