• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Howard Combat Kimonos www.howardliu.com Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   GKC1031 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:18 AM

Anyone ever wore a Howard Combat Kimono? I'm thinking of ordering one.

http://www.howardliu.com/

This post has been edited by GKC1031: 10 November 2009 - 06:18 AM

#2 User is offline   alcedo 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:43 PM

They are pretty popular in the BJJ world i think =)

#3 User is offline   accident_prone 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:31 PM

View PostGKC1031, on Nov 10 2009, 01:18 AM, said:

Anyone ever wore a Howard Combat Kimono? I'm thinking of ordering one.

http://www.howardliu.com/

i want to get one, but he is out of stock in my size and since judo gis are slow sellers for him, he's not sure when he will re-stock.

if i ever get my hands on one, i will post a review and see if it is tournament legal.

#4 User is offline   bosszeroboss 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:47 PM

View Postaccident_prone, on Nov 10 2009, 05:31 PM, said:

i want to get one, but he is out of stock in my size and since judo gis are slow sellers for him, he's not sure when he will re-stock.

if i ever get my hands on one, i will post a review and see if it is tournament legal.

I'm very sure it's tournament legal. Howard is a stickler for following all the rules of governing bodies like IJF, IBJJF, CBJJE, etc. I've had four HCK jj gis, and they were all top notch. Very durable and an "ungrabbable" collar. Some refer to it as a "cheater" gi. Personally, after I'm done with the two Howards I have now, I don't think I'll be getting another one. In jj, it's kind of an antiquated gi design. Most players -"most," not "all"- now want super light, sleek and comfortable gis.
Howard jj gis are boxy and seem to be a cut that's almost between a jj cut and a judo cut.
I'm tired of the boxy, heavy, and hot-thing, but it may suit you just fine.

Having said that, I know there are world class athletes like Dan and Dave Camarillo who swear by HCK.
Just my two (overpriced) cents.

#5 User is offline   lcctjudoka 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:01 AM

I had a blue bjj comp single, and even though the fabric on the gi was soft and well made, the gi was huge on me. My Dax Mosquito fit wayyy better (I'm 6' 155, and I've had a beast of a time finding a gi that fits properly). The pants were huge, heavy and uncomfortable (very "rough" after a while). I would like to like HCK, but if they do not fit, I'm not going to bother. That's my .02.

#6 User is offline   Vegas 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:11 PM

I've had one in the rotation for a couple years now and a few of my training parters have them too. I like it for a training gi. Very durable and a great price.

#7 User is offline   accident_prone 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:28 PM

View PostVegas, on Nov 20 2009, 09:11 AM, said:

I've had one in the rotation for a couple years now and a few of my training parters have them too. I like it for a training gi. Very durable and a great price.

out of curiosity, do you have the judo single, judo double, bjj single or bjj double?

#8 User is offline   HoldyerGround 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:00 PM

I have an unbleached BJJ single and it fits a little big for a BJJ gi, but for $60 it is by far the best value on the market for BJJ gis.

#9 User is offline   Trotsky 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:46 PM

View PostHoldyerGround, on Nov 20 2009, 01:00 PM, said:

I have an unbleached BJJ single and it fits a little big for a BJJ gi, but for $60 it is by far the best value on the market for BJJ gis.

I have the exact same gi, and I like it a lot. Mine is a size 5 and fits well. I'm 6'1 190lbs ( I lost weight :o ). I like the pants. Pants almost always wear out before the gi, but I'm not sure that will be the case here. Howard's pants are made of denim, very heavy and durable. Some people don't like that, but I think the pants alone are worth $60.
Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.

"Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for every one thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess." - Rene Descartes

#10 User is offline   Myagi 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Guests

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:55 AM

View Postbosszeroboss, on Nov 11 2009, 04:47 PM, said:

I'm very sure it's tournament legal. Howard is a stickler for following all the rules of governing bodies like IJF, IBJJF, CBJJE, etc. I've had four HCK jj gis, and they were all top notch. Very durable and an "ungrabbable" collar. Some refer to it as a "cheater" gi. Personally, after I'm done with the two Howards I have now, I don't think I'll be getting another one. In jj, it's kind of an antiquated gi design. Most players -"most," not "all"- now want super light, sleek and comfortable gis.
Howard jj gis are boxy and seem to be a cut that's almost between a jj cut and a judo cut.
I'm tired of the boxy, heavy, and hot-thing, but it may suit you just fine.

Having said that, I know there are world class athletes like Dan and Dave Camarillo who swear by HCK.
Just my two (overpriced) cents.

It is not IJF legal.

None of the HCK Judo Gi are.
We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.

-Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill

#11 User is offline   Vegas 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon

Posted 21 November 2009 - 02:45 PM

View Postaccident_prone, on Nov 20 2009, 05:28 PM, said:

out of curiosity, do you have the judo single, judo double, bjj single or bjj double?

I have the bjj single and its heavy duty. One of the guys has their double weave and that gi is really thick! He said they supposedly make one even more heavy duty and I can only imagine what that gi is like. Supposedly the owner takes orders and talks direct with you. My Howard was given to me by a training partner that did not like it. He thought it was too heavy.

#12 User is offline   bosszeroboss 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:23 AM

View PostMyagi, on Nov 21 2009, 03:55 AM, said:

It is not IJF legal.

None of the HCK Judo Gi are.

I hate to disagree with you, but, yes, it is IJF legal.
If you choose not to believe me or check it out for yourself, you can always email Howard Liu himself. He doesn't know me personally, but he's always responded within 24 hours to my queries.

I'm sure if you ask him about the legalities of his judo gis, he'll be happy to inform you.
:)

#13 User is offline   bhowe70 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:26 AM

i had a fellow player who had one it was top knotch.

#14 User is offline   KTI-Shobukan 

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

By any chance did anyone end up buy the HCK judo gi?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic