• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

New York Open- March 6 Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_castle_guest

• Group: Guests

Posted 09 February 2005 - 08:43 PM

I think this is the correct date. Anyone here competing or watching? There was a Chilean judoka last year (Gabriel Lama?) who was very impressive. Unfortunately, he finished 2nd. There was a USA player who won gold that I think was very good, too. I think his name is German Velasco. Jimmy Pedro won his division as expected.

Looking forward to it.

#2 User is offline   torazo 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:13 PM

I think one of the people in my dojo are competing in the 90 kg category, his name is Shintaro Higashi. Im still not 100% sure if he is going but u know.....

Im gonna be watching if he goes

#3 User is offline   yonah 

• Mitch and Mike's and Jake's Dad
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:45 PM

Castle,

I would love to watch this one, but it is my son's first B'Day. I'd gladly root for Chile as my dad is Chilean (sort of). Maybe I will compete next year :) Hopefully I will qualify by then (Nikyu and up).
May you have many soft landings on the Road to Shodan (or subscribe to my blog via e-mail)
Judo, the gentle way... to throw someone onto their back and choke them unconcious

#4 Guest_castle1_guest

Posted 10 February 2005 - 12:07 AM

Yeah, yonah. This guy is really good. I think the next big shiai is the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia. That is a good shiai to watch or compete in. You should try to make that one and make it a trip with the family in Philly. Most of the athletes stay in the same hotel.

#5 User is offline   sta94 

• Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon

Posted 10 February 2005 - 04:26 PM

Yeah, that's the correct date: http://www.judonyc.com/typo3/

I'll be there to watch. IIRC, Velasco is originally from Peru, now settled in Florida (I think). Him and Lama are really good players.

My fiancee's cousin goes to the same high school Shintaro Higashi went to (Scarsdale) and was in the wrestling team with him. Got him (the cousin) to train in Judo and now he prefers it to wrestling!

#6 Guest_castle1_guest

Posted 10 February 2005 - 04:39 PM

What's up sta94? Fiancee, huh? Congratulations! How you been back to class? I was wondering if Ryuchi will compete again this year. He hurt his angle the last time he competed. He was thrown for ippon by the Russian dude with Tai-Otoshi, that's how he got hurt. We had a good group last year didn't we? See you then.

#7 User is offline   yonah 

• Icon
  • View blog

Posted 10 February 2005 - 04:47 PM

Where does Higashi Train? Not at Oishi's? I am sure one or two of our guys will go though.
May you have many soft landings on the Road to Shodan (or subscribe to my blog via e-mail)
Judo, the gentle way... to throw someone onto their back and choke them unconcious

#8 User is offline   yonah 

• Icon
  • View blog

Posted 10 February 2005 - 04:48 PM

castle1, on Feb 9 2005, 08:07 PM, said:

Yeah, yonah. This guy is really good. I think the next big shiai is the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia. That is a good shiai to watch or compete in. You should try to make that one and make it a trip with the family in Philly. Most of the athletes stay in the same hotel.

Castle,

Gonna be a hard sell to the Mrs. I think I need to have a candid talk with her about it. Since Saturday is our Sabbath, a lot of our errands happen on Sundays, and 4/3 is like 2-3 weeks before passover.

#9 Guest_castle1_guest

Posted 10 February 2005 - 04:55 PM

Higashi trains uptown- I forget the name of the judo club. His father is also the sensei. I have seen Shintaro compete at the East Coast Champ. and he is one tough SOB.

I know Ian went one time but I have no idea how he did. He trained in London for a year or two then he returned to Oishi. Hope our school has representatives for this one.

You got to do what you got to do, yonah. There will be other shiais.

#10 User is offline   Judoheidi 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 10 February 2005 - 04:59 PM

One of my students will be competing. Bandi Davaadorj. He will be competing for Mongolia. He is pretty awesome, too. Keep an eye out. 81kg.
Live every day like you are dying of a contagious disease that turns people into zombies when you bite them.

www.denverjudo.com

#11 User is offline   yonah 

• Icon
  • View blog

Posted 10 February 2005 - 05:25 PM

Judoheidi, on Feb 10 2005, 12:59 PM, said:

One of my students will be competing. Bandi Davaadorj. He will be competing for Mongolia. He is pretty awesome, too. Keep an eye out. 81kg.

A Judoka from Mongolia, studying in Denver and competing in NY.

Man I love Judo!

#12 User is offline   sta94 

• Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon

Posted 10 February 2005 - 06:56 PM

Higashi trains uptown- I forget the name of the judo club. His father is also the sensei. I have seen Shintaro compete at the East Coast Champ. and he is one tough SOB.

His dad has a dojo on the upper westside, Riverside: Kokushi Budo Institute. I thought he competed at HVY, looks like he dropped to 90kgs.

What's up sta94? Fiancee, huh? Congratulations! How you been back to class? I was wondering if Ryuchi will compete again this year. He hurt his angle the last time he competed. He was thrown for ippon by the Russian dude with Tai-Otoshi, that's how he got hurt. We had a good group last year didn't we? See you then.

Dude, I've been back to class since December, real tentatively at first, but now that my shoulder is doing a lot better (fingers crossed!) I'm trying to push myself more. Also, until last week or so, I just sucked majorly, everything's real rusty, things seem to be only coming together since the last 2 classes or so.

Yesah, I got engaged last year, no rush on the wedding though :)

Ryuchi left for Japan a few weeks ago, he was done with his art school and so packed up and left for home.

#13 Guest_Dan_guest

Posted 10 February 2005 - 11:55 PM

German Velazco is peruvian...so am i. He's a very good judoka, very agressive definitely Peru's best, i'm almost sure he was hispanic judo champion twice, also won at New York twice and went to Atlanta. He left Peru cause of lack of support from the government...when he became champion in Spain his coach didn't fly with him cause of this. He's know coaching in the USA. Hope he competes and wins again. :manoyes:

#14 Guest_castle1_guest

Posted 11 February 2005 - 01:35 PM

Dan- Last year, alot of people were asking who he was since he represented USA. He, along with Lama, was one my two favorite players to watch last year. Looking forward to see this guy compete again.

#15 Guest_Guest_guest

Posted 11 February 2005 - 04:06 PM

I was wrong he competed at Sidney (he carried the peruvian flag at the opening ceremony) under 73...but know he is competing under 81. I've seen at the New York Open web page that last year he competed representing the USA. That's cause he always asked for some economic support when he was in Peru but never get it. I believe there's no problem an athlete to competes representing another country cause sports will always be far beyond flags.

One of the first things i do every time i get into the internet is check out this forum. It's a very good site...besides the neverending discussion between judo and jiujitsu. I believe the better an athlete is, technically, the less he will be trying to minimize other sports.

P.D. Haven't practiced english since i left high school...here we speak spanish. B)

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked