• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Back From Injury Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Xeno Warrior 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 08 February 2005 - 11:00 AM

I need some advice... I'm going to compete for the first time in months on the 19th, I just got back on the 2nd, and haven't fought since before I was a yellow belt. I'm worried I won't be ready, I know I have trouble with high belt ranks and how they put their weight on your gi and go low, I'm wondering if fighting higher belts will be much much different than myself, I do stand up judo.

Other than being kind of out of shape I'm fine, and rusty.

Another thing, I weigh around 250, so I'll be fighting big big guys, I've never had experience with a guy bigger than me, I only lift about 150-180 tops, so I wouldn't know how to lift a big guy up, ahaha.

Any help would be cool.

#2 User is offline   Casper 

• Carolina American Judo Association
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 08 February 2005 - 01:38 PM

Xeno Warrior, on Feb 8 2005, 11:00 AM, said:

Another thing, I weigh around 250, so I'll be fighting big big guys, I've never had experience with a guy bigger than me, I only lift about 150-180 tops, so I wouldn't know how to lift a big guy up, ahaha.

I can only speak to my experience with the big guys. I'm 6'3" 290....when I randori with guys my size I stick to foot sweeps and kuzushi.

Favorite take down...kosoto gake...works every time.
kuzushi - get a standard grip...pull him toward you, then push away and up at the same time. I actually lifted a guy who was 275 off his feet with this kuzushi. It felt effortless. I was so surprised that he was off the ground that I forgot to sweep :o

If you don't want to go grip to grip with the big guys....then just go with a one handed grip and work around in circles to get them moving and off balance.

...for what it's worth...good luck.

This post has been edited by Casper: 08 February 2005 - 01:39 PM

#3 User is offline   yonah 

• Mitch and Mike's and Jake's Dad
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 08 February 2005 - 02:33 PM

Xeno,

I am in middle - 5'11" 195, but one of my favorite Dojo partners is 5'10" ~250. The only way I can throw him in Randori is with Ashi Waza. Since you are a yellow belt, two of the throws taught to most beginners at that level are Tai Otoshi and O-Soto gari, both will work well against big guys, and don't require you to do any heavy lifting so to speak.

Two additional bits of advice:

1. If you aren't used to practicing Hip Throws/Seoinage with large partners, stay away from them in Shiai, as you might wind up injuring yourself in the process.

2. If this is your first shiai back from injury, take it easy - it's not worth winning if it is going to put you out for another few months.
May you have many soft landings on the Road to Shodan (or subscribe to my blog via e-mail)
Judo, the gentle way... to throw someone onto their back and choke them unconcious

#4 User is offline   Xeno Warrior 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:06 PM

Casper, on Feb 8 2005, 08:38 AM, said:

I can only speak to my experience with the big guys. I'm 6'3" 290....when I randori with guys my size I stick to foot sweeps and kuzushi.

Favorite take down...kosoto gake...works every time.
kuzushi - get a standard grip...pull him toward you, then push away and up at the same time. I actually lifted a guy who was 275 off his feet with this kuzushi. It felt effortless. I was so surprised that he was off the ground that I forgot to sweep :o

If you don't want to go grip to grip with the big guys....then just go with a one handed grip and work around in circles to get them moving and off balance.

...for what it's worth...good luck.

ah yes, I love doing the kosoto throws in randori alot, perhaps it will prove effective now.

but yeah, I don't like fighting for grips, especially with a guy that is possibly strogner than me, ahaha, that would be a big waste of energy.

#5 User is offline   Xeno Warrior 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:12 PM

yonah, on Feb 8 2005, 09:33 AM, said:

Xeno,

I am in middle - 5'11" 195, but one of my favorite Dojo partners is 5'10" ~250. The only way I can throw him in Randori is with Ashi Waza. Since you are a yellow belt, two of the throws taught to most beginners at that level are Tai Otoshi and O-Soto gari, both will work well against big guys, and don't require you to do any heavy lifting so to speak.

Two additional bits of advice:

1. If you aren't used to practicing Hip Throws/Seoinage with large partners, stay away from them in Shiai, as you might wind up injuring yourself in the process.

2. If this is your first shiai back from injury, take it easy - it's not worth winning if it is going to put you out for another few months.

I just hope they don't play gorilla judo with me and hang on my gi and use their strength constantly, it's difficult, for me atleast, to attempt leg throws when they are hunched over so much.

#6 User is offline   boist 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 10 February 2005 - 02:11 PM

You may also want to try Sasae TsuriKomi Ashi. Another nice throw (trip, really) that doesn't require heavy lifting. Works especially well if you're walking around them a bit and can push them in the direction of movement.
Judo is like herpes. Once it's in your blood, it never goes away...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked