Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Switching Dojos? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Lokomotiv 

• View blog
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:00 PM

I am thinking of switching dojos after recently joining one. I have previous judo experience, but still consider myself a beginner. Here are the reasons for me re-considering my dojo:

1. There are no senior belts other than the instructor. There are only 4-5 other members. None of them are competitive players or seem to know much about the judo world. My goal is to be a recreational competitive player.

2. It is not registered with any of the governing judo bodies (USA) and follows its own promotion scheme

3. The dues are considerably higher compared to other clubs in the area. There are also belt testing fees.

4. There are other clubs in the area that are cheaper and well-established with many competitive members.

Are these concerns legitimate? It is close to me, and the instructor seems to be a really nice guy and I don't have any doubts of his judo knowledge. Any advice would be helpful, as obviously I don't want to think of myself as a quitter.

#2 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:12 PM

I say it depends.

If you don't feel you are getting challenged and learning, then you need to find a program that fits you better. If you need to save a few bucks a month, then find another club or talk with the sensei about your financial needs.

if you want to compete, you need to be a member of one of the three US organizations. This may not be a problem with your sensei, as s/he should be able to help you past this hurdle.

Now, you didn't fil out your profile, so there are other considerations that we can't address. If you're a young person with the intent of going to college, or are in college, or are in a transition period of life, then going to a dojo that works one of the three US organization's promotion regimin would be helpful because there's a presumption that you won't be at that club for very long. If, on the other hand, you're well established, intend to remain where you are for a good long time, then you should be fine if you are comfortable where you are.

Listen, you wouldn't be asking the question if the dojo you're currently going to was a good fit. There's nothing wrong with going to other dojo and seeing what they're like and whether they'll fit you better at this time. Educate yourself as to your options and make your decision.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

#3 User is offline   JoshuaResnick 

• Its Okay. My wife thinks I am a fool too.
  • Icon

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:21 AM

i dont think it depends at all.. sounds like joined one crappy judo club. go to a good one now.
"When life backs you onto the ropes, remember Ali and the Rope-A-Dope." -joshua resnick

#4 User is offline   JudoSensei 

• Founder of JudoInfo.com
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:38 AM

If you only recently joined, I wouldn't think of yourself as a quitter for looking for something better for you.
"Plum Blossoms Open Because of the Frost and Snow"

JudoUnleashed.com . KodokanJudo.info . DoJudo.com

#5 User is offline   Blake's 7 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:54 AM

I think of Judo training much like any other service, tuition or educational course that you pay for. You are the customer. You pay to have your Judo needs met. You pay for the pleasure of an informed and knowledgeable training environment. Access to senior ranks, an accredited organization etc. are your right as an independent consumer. Exercise that right unapologetically on behalf of your own Judo development.
Vila: I'm entitled to my opinion.
Avon: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic