Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:25 PM

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

From 3:42 to 7:32

#2 User is offline   Blind Dog 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:52 PM

Interesting viewing, what is it? What's with the priest? The later portion looked like Ju no kata, but not. Nice Ju, but funky techniques. Uke looked funny in the lifts. I wouldn't want to meet the tori in shi-ai.

The suwari waza resembled an Aikido "Koryu Kata dai San," with the weapons. What is this demo from? En Englaise, pour favor (or not).
Brun . ブルーノ
Blind Dog 3D Designs 盲目の犬 三視点 家
blinddog3d@hotmail.com
3rd Person Production Studios 三人称 生産 倉庫
mekura.no.inu@gmail.com

"If it hits the ground, it goes to the hound."
- Blind Dog Fulton

#3 User is offline   fredlinux 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:36 PM

View PostBlind Dog, on Jul 9 2009, 02:52 PM, said:

Interesting viewing, what is it? What's with the priest? The later portion looked like Ju no kata, but not. Nice Ju, but funky techniques. Uke looked funny in the lifts. I wouldn't want to meet the tori in shi-ai.

The suwari waza resembled an Aikido "Koryu Kata dai San," with the weapons. What is this demo from? En Englaise, pour favor (or not).

http://www.judoichid...-kokumin-taiiku

#4 User is offline   Blind Dog 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Post icon  Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:05 AM

View Postfredlinux, on Jul 9 2009, 01:36 PM, said:

Didn't see anything about a priest....
I know what the "kata" is, silly Willy, I meant "what event is it" "why is it being demonstrated in this fashion?" Who is it? Why the preist & what's he doing?

I guess I didn't get the memo about only posting links (without any explanation or accomapanying text) in this thread , sorry.

Link to find someone to chat with

Brun . ブルーノ
blinddog3d@hotmail.com
mekura.no.inu@gmail.com

- Blind Dog Fulton

#5 User is offline   Cichorei Kano 

• Judo Forum Hachidan
  • Icon

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:05 AM

View PostBlind Dog, on Jul 10 2009, 10:05 AM, said:

I know what the "kata" is, silly Willy, I meant "what event is it" "why is it being demonstrated in this fashion?" Who is it? Why the preist & what's he doing?

I guess I didn't get the memo about only posting links (without any explanation or accomapanying text) in this thread , sorry.

The Associazione Italiana Sport-Educazione (A.I.S.E.) and group around Cesare Barioli and Alfredo Vismara in Italy holds a kata congress every year in Italy, usually in called "Congresso sui kata" end of September. I considered being a speaker there last year, but declined as it is a relatively small place that is hard to reach from abroad and a pain in the butt. Barioli and Vismara have put a lot of effort in distributing some of the deeper meaning of judo. Barioli also is the author of an excellent book on judo in Italian. It is a nice initiative, and has good intentions, although unfortunately when people with little or not research education (I am referring to various of the presentations I have seen, and am not attempting to discredit gentlemen Barioli and Vismara, whose efforts and commitment I respect) start doing research, you see all sorts of problems. However, Much of what I have heard from the congress is pseudo-scientific, but the upside is that it is a way that brings people together, and restores part of the intellectual message of judo, even if the content isn't always scientifically accurate.
"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
"Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
"I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

#6 User is offline   Taigyo 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:25 PM

View PostBlind Dog, on Jul 10 2009, 01:05 AM, said:

Haven't had time to watch the whole video yet, but from your description it sounds like the second part you described is kime shiki, which is sometimes practiced in conjunction with SZKT. Check "Kodokan Judo".

#7 User is offline   Cichorei Kano 

• Judo Forum Hachidan
  • Icon

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:32 AM

View PostTaigyo, on Jul 11 2009, 02:25 AM, said:

Haven't had time to watch the whole video yet, but from your description it sounds like the second part you described is kime shiki, which is sometimes practiced in conjunction with SZKT. Check "Kodokan Judo".

Indeed he was referring to kime-shiki, which was a frequently practised shôbu exercise before 1930 before kime-no-kata became spread (The Butokukai meeting in 1906 did not completely get out of kime-no-kata and it took many more years to really finalize it; it caused the single most problems during the meeting). Kime shiki, like most exercises of SYZKT was prescribed to be performed at both sides, but this isn't always done, as many people feel awkward performing it from the 'wrong' side. Since the exercise is now included in a physical education kata, it makes sense to recommend practising it from both sides.

One notices in the video also the presence of jû-shiki, a 10-technique form (as all the old kata) of jû-no-kata.
"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
"Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
"I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

#8 User is offline   JudoSicilia 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:15 AM

I like very much the work of Barioli sensei on kata, I posted this video because it's a rare performance of Seryoku and it's performed better respect to other videos.
It also shows, finally, that in Europe and in Italy the Seryoku is teached.
Tori is Maurizio Pelligra, 3° Dan, the master of Dojo Koizumi, in Scicli, Sicily.

#9 User is offline   fredlinux 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:40 AM

View PostCichorei Kano, on Jul 10 2009, 01:05 AM, said:

The Associazione Italiana Sport-Educazione (A.I.S.E.) and group around Cesare Barioli and Alfredo Vismara in Italy holds a kata congress every year in Italy, usually in called "Congresso sui kata" end of September. I considered being a speaker there last year, but declined as it is a relatively small place that is hard to reach from abroad and a pain in the butt. Barioli and Vismara have put a lot of effort in distributing some of the deeper meaning of judo. Barioli also is the author of an excellent book on judo in Italian. It is a nice initiative, and has good intentions, although unfortunately when people with little or not research education (I am referring to various of the presentations I have seen, and am not attempting to discredit gentlemen Barioli and Vismara, whose efforts and commitment I respect) start doing research, you see all sorts of problems. However, Much of what I have heard from the congress is pseudo-scientific, but the upside is that it is a way that brings people together, and restores part of the intellectual message of judo, even if the content isn't always scientifically accurate.

I hold them in high regard! Always publishing their findings on Internet. While everyone here was playing secret about Go-no-kata they put a video online, later a video of Ochiai sensei. Truly Judokas!!!

#10 User is offline   Blind Dog 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:52 PM

View PostCichorei Kano, on Jul 10 2009, 09:32 PM, said:

One notices in the video also the presence of jû-shiki, a 10-technique form (as all the old kata) of jû-no-kata.
I did notice the Jû-shiki (double entendre, Ju for 10? :rolleyes: ).
It looks like the video I posted from the 1940's (the one I thought was Dr. Kano). Is this the prescribed method of execution for this kata? Because I did noticed mistakes kihon tai gamae (mostly uke, with the wide spread feet in the lifts), so I didn't know if there were misunderstandings in the waza, as well. I did think that tori had a wonderful presentation, very spirited and exciting for Kata.

Thanx, BTW, for the history lesson, always a pleasure to read that stuff. I'm all goofy about history!(the single emotocon was just for you, Sensei.)
Brun . ブルーノ
blinddog3d@hotmail.com
mekura.no.inu@gmail.com

- Blind Dog Fulton

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic