• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How many times do you train a week? Rate Topic: -----

#13 User is offline   Mdrnsamurai 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:05 PM

As many as you can, while you can. Sometimes training is limited by Work Schedules, Injuries, Family Commitments and other stuff. So try to get in as much as possible when you can.

Train Hard, Stay Safe,
Good Luck
"There is no boundary in the way of flexibility, and the heart shall see no enemy." Mifune, Kyuzo 10th Dan

"It's about heart above all." Saito, Hitoshi 7th Dan

"The technique and mind are just like the front and back of one’s hand, meaning they are very closely related." Yamashita, Yoshiaki 10th Dan

"First learn to become invincible, then wait for yours enemy's moment of vulnerability." Sun Tzu

"If you don’t lose, you will eventually win." Helio Gracie

Bronx Martial Arts Academy

現代武士

#14 User is offline   judokamatt 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:24 PM

View PostShowdown, on Mar 17 2008, 09:54 PM, said:

Well I definately want to compete,so skill wise, I want to be great at this. The problem Im having is that through the week Im having Judo withdraws,lol,all week Im craving to get back in and learn more. I hit weights and run alot through the week,to improve strength and stamina,but Im think about picking up another class through the week to help balance it out. Im just concerned about as new as I am,having 2 different instructors. I feel like I should stick with one til I get the basics down,because he knows what I have learned and need to learn. Thinking maybe just one for now,and then in about 6 months or so,picking up another class,when I have started to pick up more of the basics. Any thoughts on this?

i wish i was in your situation i would do judo 5-7 days a week if it was offered that many days a week :P.......but alas i would agree with you to get some basics first before visiting another dojo along with your original one, i would also ask the instructor about it and tell them before hand who you will be representing in competitions and such.......<lots of bad blood over this one.............but yea man go for it and in the mean time just train stamina so you can go for longer and learn more in the same time frame.

#15 User is offline   Stephen 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:33 PM

View PostShowdown, on Mar 17 2008, 03:58 PM, said:

Again,new to Judo. Our club meets once a week. So I train for an hour with the beginners. And then an hour with the experienced. So 2 hours a week. This is probably ok for beginners,but should I be working more hours a week as I start becoming more experienced? How many hours do you guys recommend?

There are drills that you can do without a partner at home or at the gym. This is not meant as a substitute for training at the dojo with partners but....you can help your strength, flexibility and coordination of your overall physique. This would help you when you get to class and practice technical with a partner. If you are a beginner (an d I think you state this) then get your hands on as many publications and watch as many videos in your spare time on competition, history, kata and technique in order to keep your mind on Judo.

Have Fun!!!!!

#16 User is offline   Showdown 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:57 PM

Thanks,thats what I had planned on doing. Heading to the library today to pick up some judo vids they have.

#17 User is offline   herronjonny 

• no guts no glory
  • Icon

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:26 AM

as much as u feel comfortable with doing no more no less you can make the decision if u love judo after that
if we dwell on the past its depression if we worry about the future its anxiety i live in the NOW!

#18 User is offline   Robert Medkwai 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:34 AM

my club only does 2 hours a week for seniors, im 18 and i spend 6 days a week waiting for tuesdays so i can do judo >< how can i get more maat time?? coz wudnt joining 2 clubs be abit,.. wrong?.. just looking for ideas if anyone has any?

i do judo with my brother but i dont think buying maats will help considerin there 80 quid a pop

#19 User is offline   Steve Leadbeater 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:51 AM

If all classes are attended I do 21 hours per week, however it is normally only about 6 to 8 hours.

Please remember that ANY training is better than NO training,
if you can only make it for half an hour then
use that half hour to train hard and learn.
Do unto others BEFORE they DO you !!!

Join the A.B.H.A. (Aussie Badger Hunting Association)

Alas, poor Mongo, I knew him Horatio, the fellow was an infinite pest !!!

Yes, that is Daigo 10th Dan with me in my profile picture.

Mizuno Owners Club Member number 2.

#20 User is offline   Darin Hamel 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:31 AM

Like the subject says, how many classes a week are good when your first starting? I am stopping a gym membership at a weight gym where I was going three times a week and was planning to start Judo up three times a week since I already have the habit in place. Does this sound like a good plan or is it too much?

#21 User is offline   Judolady 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:42 AM

It depends to a degree upon how fit you are and how intense the practices are, but 3X/week is not unreasonable.

Enjoy!
JL
Do what you love; love what you do.

Visit us at: NorwichJudoDojo.com

"Attitudes are better caught than taught" -- John Saylor

#22 User is offline   hpulley 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:49 PM

View PostDarin Hamel, on May 22 2008, 07:31 PM, said:

Like the subject says, how many classes a week are good when your first starting? I am stopping a gym membership at a weight gym where I was going three times a week and was planning to start Judo up three times a week since I already have the habit in place. Does this sound like a good plan or is it too much?

I just started judo and was in your exact same situation, getting bored of just the weights and Lifecycle routine. For the most part, 3 nights a week is doable but some things you'll have to ease into. 3 nights of breakfall practice will be good exercise for your neck but perhaps too much at first -- I felt like I had whiplash the first week but it is now getting better. Judo uses some muscles you used in weight training (especially if you used free weights, less with machines) but also uses many I didn't know I had. Also, judo requires flexibility and some weight training can reduce flexiblity so it may take a while to stretch into a more flexible situation which is needed more for some ground work than for throws (ground work defence requires some pretzel twisting movements). Good luck, have fun and stay healthy. Prepare for some bruising and "mat rash" -- I have to tape up the knuckles on my feet for now but I'm told that will also improve with time.

#23 User is offline   Steve Leadbeater 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:05 PM

I do..........................
2 hours Monday,
1 hour tuesday afternoon
2 hours tuesday evening
2 hours wednesday
2 hours thursday
2 hours friday
1 hour Kata saturday afternoon
1 hour class saturday afternoon.
Sunday is for competition/refereeing................or occasional day at home.
Do unto others BEFORE they DO you !!!

Join the A.B.H.A. (Aussie Badger Hunting Association)

Alas, poor Mongo, I knew him Horatio, the fellow was an infinite pest !!!

Yes, that is Daigo 10th Dan with me in my profile picture.

Mizuno Owners Club Member number 2.

#24 User is offline   gordinho 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:18 PM

As much as you physically, mentally and logistically can. It's as simple as that.

If you're young and in pretty good shape, do judo six days a week if you can. Five if you can't.
"The rumors about me are helpful but untrue"

- Suge Knight

#25 User is offline   Darin Hamel 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:18 PM

View PostSteve Leadbeater, on May 22 2008, 09:05 AM, said:

I do..........................
2 hours Monday,
1 hour tuesday afternoon
2 hours tuesday evening
2 hours wednesday
2 hours thursday
2 hours friday
1 hour Kata saturday afternoon
1 hour class saturday afternoon.
Sunday is for competition/refereeing................or occasional day at home.

Are you a beginner?

#26 User is offline   The Guv'nor 

• Look into my eyes
  • Icon

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:41 PM

View PostDarin Hamel, on May 22 2008, 04:18 PM, said:

Are you a beginner?

Yes he is,
Keep Smiling

www.shintojudo.co.uk

Stercus accidit

#27 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:07 PM

to answer the question:

it depends. like a previous poster said, physical condition over all is one factor. Others include but are not limited to age, your job (expect to be stiff until you get used to the schedule), family obligations, and the number of gi you have (plus whether or not you machine or air dry them).

if you're older, or your job is physically strenuous, or you have toddler triplets or are taking care of older adults, or you intend to wear one gi all week, you might have to step down the training a bit and spend more time acclimating with the goal of doing judo 3 x per week. Another factor is the duration of each class. If you're thinking of jumping right into three 4 hour intensive randori classes, you might want to gradually get there instead of jumping in all at once.

That being said, the more the better. Just be very forgiving of your body the next day.
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic