JudoForum.com: Ju-no-Kata - JudoForum.com

Jump to content

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ju-no-Kata Best English references? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   NBK 

  • Just happy to be here....
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 2,238
  • Joined: 14-January 07

Post icon  Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:39 PM

Hi.

I'm collecting references for a Ju-no-Kata project I need to start later this year.

I have several Japanese references, some pretty interesting. Perhaps the most detailed is the 80 (!!!) page Ju-no-Kata chapter in the 1926 学校柔道の粋 Gakko Judo no Iki, by Watabe and Takanezawa Several others show up, including Mifune's Judo Koza, Kotani's Judo no Kata.  (I love the illustrations: they usually include one bald, pot-bellied middle aged guy, to differentiate him from the other player, even in the school judo books。 One wears a hatched sort of gi. It seems to be some sort of convention.)

But, I realized I don't have much in English, and I don't want to miss any good refs. I have time to buy if needed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,




柔能制剛 - 弱能制強
黄石公三略 上略
0

#2 User is offline   Hanon 

  • Judo Forum Shichidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 7,667
  • Joined: 19-February 07

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:36 PM

View PostNBK, on Jan 20 2009, 04:39 PM, said:

Hi.

I'm collecting references for a Ju-no-Kata project I need to start later this year.

I have several Japanese references, some pretty interesting. Perhaps the most detailed is the 80 (!!!) page Ju-no-Kata chapter in the 1926 学校柔道の粋 Gakko Judo no Iki, by Watabe and Takanezawa Several others show up, including Mifune's Judo Koza, Kotani's Judo no Kata.  (I love the illustrations: they usually include one bald, pot-bellied middle aged guy, to differentiate him from the other player, even in the school judo books。 One wears a hatched sort of gi. It seems to be some sort of convention.)

But, I realized I don't have much in English, and I don't want to miss any good refs. I have time to buy if needed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,



TPLeggetts book with the demonstration by the founder is the book I work from. How can one top the boss man himself?

Mike
0

#3 User is offline   finarashi 

  • Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 4,301
  • Joined: 30-August 03

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:44 PM

Ju-No-Kata by Sugiyama, Shoji (1933 - ), Torino, Italy, Centro Studi Kata, 1980
Ju-no-kata, Itsutsu-no-kata, koshiki-no-kata by Vismara, Alfredo (1948 - ) and Vismara, Giuseppe, Milano, Italy, R.R. Stampatori Poliglotta, 1992
Sorry those are in Italian :o

Judoprincipes in kata : Ju no kata by Blonk, Mas and de Bijl, Richard, Rijswik, Netherlands, Elmar, Budo Sport, 2001, 140p, ISBN 9038912090
No that was in Dutch :huh:

ju no kata by Hamot, Claude, Boulgogne, France, sedirep, 1969, 47p
Ju no Kata by Le Bihan, Miwako, Boulogne, France, Sedirep, 1981, 104p, ISBN 2901551041
Les fondements du judo by Klein Yves (1928 - 1962), Paris, France, Dilecta, 2006, 207p, ISBN13 9782916275116
Les fondements du judo by Klein Yves (1928 - 1962), Paris, France, Grasset, 1954, 204p
Ok, ok those are in french :wub:

... somewhere there ... here ....
Ju-No-Kata : a Kodokan textbook by Fukuda, Keiko (1913 - ), Berkeley, CA, United States, North Atlantic Books, 2004, 176p, ISBN 1556435045
Born for the mat : a Kodokan kata textbook for women by Fukuda, Keiko (1913 - ), San Francisco, United States, K. Fukuda, 1973
The Demonstration of Gentleness : Ju-no-kata (Renshuden judo library) by Leggett, Trevor Pryce (1914 - 2000), London, United Kingdom, W. Foulsham & Co., 1964, 62p
Kata judo by Leggett, Trevor Pryce (1914 - 2000), London, United Kingdom, Foulsham, 1982[2], 179p, ISBN 057201175X
The foundations of judo by Klein Yves (1928 - 1962), London, United Kingdom, Everyday Press, 2009, 207p

So you have two books in english the originals (older ones) have better picture quality and the latter ones have the same text (about) than the original ones. Fukuda's original book is very expensive, but she is considered to be one of a kind of authority on how it was practiced in women's department pre 1960.
Leggett's book is has pictures of kano doing Juno-kata and the book was the first attempt to bring Juno-kata as text to larger audiences.
Yves klein's book will appear in english later this year.
0

#4 User is offline   wdax 

  • Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 871
  • Joined: 01-July 08

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:28 PM

View PostNBK, on Jan 20 2009, 05:39 PM, said:

I'm collecting references for a Ju-no-Kata project I need to start later this year.

I´m always very much interested in ju-no-kata. What kind of project is this? Maybe I can add some support. If it´s confidental - can you please PM me? I guarantee to keep everything private.
0

#5 User is offline   Hanon 

  • Judo Forum Shichidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 7,667
  • Joined: 19-February 07

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:14 PM

View Postwdax, on Jan 20 2009, 07:28 PM, said:

I´m always very much interested in ju-no-kata. What kind of project is this? Maybe I can add some support. If it´s confidental - can you please PM me? I guarantee to keep everything private.


But tell me too! :P

Mike :hap:
0

#6 User is offline   NBK 

  • Just happy to be here....
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 2,238
  • Joined: 14-January 07

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:23 PM

No, I told you about the Itsutsu-no-Kata project, one at a time. ;wry)

This post has been edited by NBK: 20 January 2009 - 11:23 PM



柔能制剛 - 弱能制強
黄石公三略 上略
0

#7 User is offline   Hanon 

  • Judo Forum Shichidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 7,667
  • Joined: 19-February 07

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:31 PM

View PostNBK, on Jan 20 2009, 11:23 PM, said:

No, I told you about the Itsutsu-no-Kata project, one at a time. ;wry)


:sad( :unsure: :sad(
0

#8 User is offline   NBK 

  • Just happy to be here....
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 2,238
  • Joined: 14-January 07

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:32 PM

View Postfinarashi, on Jan 21 2009, 02:44 AM, said:

Ju-No-Kata ......Sorry those are in Italian :o

Judoprincipes in kata : ........
No that was in Dutch :huh:

ju no kata by Hamot, .........
Ok, ok those are in french :wub:

... somewhere there ... here ....
......Leggett's book is has pictures of kano doing Juno-kata and the book was the first attempt to bring Juno-kata as text to larger audiences.
Yves klein's book will appear in english later this year.

If you can read all those funny languages, good on you! But as I tell my Japanese friends, the alphabet is a marvelous thing.

Thanks, just ordered a couple of the English (and hopefully therefore comprehensible to me) ones. My interest postdates my arrival in Japan, and there are few of these books around for sale in Tokyo.




柔能制剛 - 弱能制強
黄石公三略 上略
0

#9 User is offline   NBK 

  • Just happy to be here....
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 2,238
  • Joined: 14-January 07

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:32 PM

The JNK project has started in earnest.

Here's another English source that came to me recently:

Judo for High School and College (A Handbook For Instructors and Students), Interscholastic Committee, United States Judo Federation, 3rd edition, 1975 (1st, 1970). Editors: Japan, Toyosaburo Fujiwara, 8dan. U.S., George Uchida, 6dan, George Wilson, 6dan.

And, a bonus question.

The two young ladies that demo Ju-no-Kata include one of my occasional instructors, a slim young Japanese college student with a very long ponytail. She is now one of the 43 female 5dans in the Kodokan's history, a slim not-quite-as-young lady 39 years on, and someone who really knows the kata.

Question - she tells me that her partner in the book above was a French woman.

Anyone know who the French lady might be? And current whereabouts?

Regards,




柔能制剛 - 弱能制強
黄石公三略 上略
0

#10 User is offline   Cichorei Kano 

  • Judo Forum Hachidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 19,252
  • Joined: 29-January 06

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:35 PM

View PostNBK, on Jun 1 2009, 11:32 PM, said:

The JNK project has started in earnest.

Here's another English source that came to me recently:

Judo for High School and College (A Handbook For Instructors and Students), Interscholastic Committee, United States Judo Federation, 3rd edition, 1975 (1st, 1970). Editors: Japan, Toyosaburo Fujiwara, 8dan. U.S., George Uchida, 6dan, George Wilson, 6dan.

And, a bonus question.

The two young ladies that demo Ju-no-Kata include one of my occasional instructors, a slim young Japanese college student with a very long ponytail. She is now one of the 43 female 5dans in the Kodokan's history, a slim not-quite-as-young lady 39 years on, and someone who really knows the kata.

Question - she tells me that her partner in the book above was a French woman.

Anyone know who the French lady might be? And current whereabouts?

Regards,



Perhaps if you would post a picture, that would help ... -_-
"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
"Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
"I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."
0

#11 User is offline   NBK 

  • Just happy to be here....
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 2,238
  • Joined: 14-January 07

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:37 PM

Nope, sorry, it's a Braille book.... :glass)




When I get to a digital camera, I will. Good idea.


柔能制剛 - 弱能制強
黄石公三略 上略
0

#12 User is offline   Cichorei Kano 

  • Judo Forum Hachidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 19,252
  • Joined: 29-January 06

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:49 PM

View PostNBK, on Jun 2 2009, 08:37 AM, said:

Nope, sorry, it's a Braille book.... :glass)
When I get to a digital camera, I will. Good idea.


I see you are working on your ambition to become a referee then, eh ? :glass)
"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
"Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
"I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."
0

#13 User is offline   NBK 

  • Just happy to be here....
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 2,238
  • Joined: 14-January 07

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:36 AM

Informed by my galactic-sized ki, despite my 20/2000 vision, color-blindness, narcolepsy, and gnat-sized attention span, I will judge with empathy and compassion, leavened with the accumulated millennia of my wisdom, and rule with such Solomonic wisdom as to bring tears to the eyes of the mere mortal spectators :sorcerer: !


柔能制剛 - 弱能制強
黄石公三略 上略
0

#14 User is offline   Cichorei Kano 

  • Judo Forum Hachidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 19,252
  • Joined: 29-January 06

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:16 AM

View PostNBK, on Jun 2 2009, 09:36 AM, said:

Informed by my galactic-sized ki, despite my 20/2000 vision, color-blindness, narcolepsy, and gnat-sized attention span, I will judge with empathy and compassion, leavened with the accumulated millennia of my wisdom, and rule with such Solomonic wisdom as to bring tears to the eyes of the mere mortal spectators :sorcerer: !




I'm NBK and I approve this video. -_-
"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
"Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
"I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."
0

#15 User is offline   NBK 

  • Just happy to be here....
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 2,238
  • Joined: 14-January 07

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:52 AM

OK, here are the graceful ladies. Note the joshi obi, which simply highlight their grace. :lol: Meanwhile, a white stripe around my middle would look like a safety stripe.

Any ideas?


Attached Image

Attached Image



柔能制剛 - 弱能制強
黄石公三略 上略
0

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic