JudoForum.com: "Nai Ki" in Ju-no-kata and Ki in general - JudoForum.com

Jump to content

  • (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

"Nai Ki" in Ju-no-kata and Ki in general Wide-ranging debate beyond Ju-no-kata considerations Rate Topic: ***-- 5 Votes

#166 User is offline   Inferus 

  • Judo Sponge
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 2,880
  • Joined: 02-February 06

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:10 PM

View PostHanon, on Aug 11 2008, 10:51 PM, said:

I dont think this is a thread more like..........I have no idea. It is certainly not about the initial question. I am pleased you have asked me and thank you for doing so. I dont mind what happens to this post. I think it best just closed? I cannot keep the OP on his own point for even one post.

Mike


Woo look at you being all technical using phrases like OP ;-)
0

#167 User is offline   Cichorei Kano 

  • Judo Forum Hachidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 19,252
  • Joined: 29-January 06

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:15 PM

View PostJonesy, on Aug 12 2008, 04:10 AM, said:

I have had requests to close this thread and transfer some of the contents to a new thread on Ki. Could the principle actors, CK, Hanon, Mike Sigman and wdax please advise me where they would like the thread truncated, and a preferred title and location for the new thread.


Jonesy,

I do not consider myself one of the chief actors, one of the reasons being that officially I am still enjoying the vacation PTNippon-sensei permitted me to take. -_-

Thus I leave it up to all of you guys to fight it out.
"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
"Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
"I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."
0

#168 User is offline   wdax 

  • Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 871
  • Joined: 01-July 08

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:34 PM

View PostJonesy, on Aug 11 2008, 09:10 PM, said:

I have had requests to close this thread and transfer some of the contents to a new thread on Ki. Could the principle actors, CK, Hanon, Mike Sigman and wdax please advise me where they would like the thread truncated, and a preferred title and location for the new thread.


I think "Misc" or "Open discussion" would be a good place. But I donĀ“t have anything more to add....
0

#169 User is offline   Ranma 

  • Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 1,704
  • Joined: 03-September 03

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:48 PM

Some of the responses were greatly informing for me this week. I had difficulty at practice this week and nearly resorted to gripping tactics until I read more about ju, posture, and perhaps ki.
0

#170 User is offline   danguy 

  • Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 6,352
  • Joined: 26-July 07

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:51 PM

I have read this thread for days. I do not see it following the OP's original post. I see it as an opening for an arguement about ki. Many of the cited sources in this thread are not considered to be that closely related to Kodokan Judo. Thus I must question their citation as help in a discussion of original Kano Shihan's Kodokan Judo.

I see a photo posted and claimed as some sort of rosetta stone. I see aikido like dressed folks where I can not see their feet, hence their foundation, to make determination from the photo concerning the physics of "woo-woo" pushing and ki. {Woo-Woo being a term Mr Sigman used). I admit, I may be one of the unwashed for not seeing the light as offered by this photo rosetta stone miricle photo.

Not once did I feel this thread addressed ju no kata, but rather was rather about ki. It almost seemed to be a thread victimized by an acedemic degreed level of trolling.

As to the first post, and "nia ki" in a book published in 1964, I do point out that the 60's saw the persuit by some of the so call "woo-woo" mysteries of eastern whatever. Perhaps, this was not a comment made on some long hidden Kodokan Judo mystery ki ritual/sceret teaching, but a point of salesmanship in the times of 1964. Just as early books "borrowed" the Kano name in their titles.

I am not one of the principals of this thread, but would not care if it was closed. I see no additional useful developement likely. I would be sorry to see the thread removed though. I think it made for interesting reading, though provided me no instuction on improving my sad ju no kata.

I wish I was comfortable enough to ask Fukuda sensei about ki in her practice of Ju no kata. Her books on this subject that I own are all packed and unavailable for my quick review. Perhaps someone else can see if she mentioned ki in them. I do know in 1964 she was performing the kata, not yet writing about it.

Me, I am no mystery, just an old judoka, Mr. Sigman.

This post has been edited by danguy: 11 August 2008 - 11:51 PM

If I am doing "win," sloppy and sissy is fine; if I am doing Judo, beautiful is my rule and goal. Judo is far more important and rewarding than "win."

"What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball [Judo] player." --John Wooden 1910-2010

"You should first try to negotiate nicely but you can be strong after there's resistance, and know, just like in judo, when to catch them." --Rusty Kanokogi, 2008, on negotiating.
0

#171 User is offline   Hanon 

  • Judo Forum Shichidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 7,667
  • Joined: 19-February 07

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:16 AM

View Postdanguy, on Aug 12 2008, 12:51 AM, said:

I have read this thread for days. I do not see it following the OP's original post. I see it as an opening for an arguement about ki. Many of the cited sources in this thread are not considered to be that closely related to Kodokan Judo. Thus I must question their citation as help in a discussion of original Kano Shihan's Kodokan Judo.

I see a photo posted and claimed as some sort of rosetta stone. I see aikido like dressed folks where I can not see their feet, hence their foundation, to make determination from the photo concerning the physics of "woo-woo" pushing and ki. {Woo-Woo being a term Mr Sigman used). I admit, I may be one of the unwashed for not seeing the light as offered by this photo rosetta stone miricle photo.

Not once did I feel this thread addressed ju no kata, but rather was rather about ki. It almost seemed to be a thread victimized by an acedemic degreed level of trolling.

As to the first post, and "nia ki" in a book published in 1964, I do point out that the 60's saw the persuit by some of the so call "woo-woo" mysteries of eastern whatever. Perhaps, this was not a comment made on some long hidden Kodokan Judo mystery ki ritual/sceret teaching, but a point of salesmanship in the times of 1964. Just as early books "borrowed" the Kano name in their titles.

I am not one of the principals of this thread, but would not care if it was closed. I see no additional useful developement likely. I would be sorry to see the thread removed though. I think it made for interesting reading, though provided me no instuction on improving my sad ju no kata.

I wish I was comfortable enough to ask Fukuda sensei about ki in her practice of Ju no kata. Her books on this subject that I own are all packed and unavailable for my quick review. Perhaps someone else can see if she mentioned ki in them. I do know in 1964 she was performing the kata, not yet writing about it.

Me, I am no mystery, just an old judoka, Mr. Sigman.


The more I read from you the more I am pleased you are hear. I do like your posts. Makes me feel like I am not the only person peeing in the wind over such things! :lol: It is odd just how in sync the kohaku ranks are here? Nice to see it too.

My very best to you Dan,

Mike
0

#172 User is offline   Cichorei Kano 

  • Judo Forum Hachidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 19,252
  • Joined: 29-January 06

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:14 AM

View PostHanon, on Aug 12 2008, 09:16 AM, said:

The more I read from you the more I am pleased you are hear. I do like your posts. Makes me feel like I am not the only person peeing in the wind over such things! :lol: It is odd just how in sync the kohaku ranks are here? Nice to see it too.

My very best to you Dan,

Mike


Now I know how you get that 'wet look' in your hair so perfect all the time ... <_<
"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
"Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
"I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."
0

#173 User is offline   danguy 

  • Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members
  • Posts: 6,352
  • Joined: 26-July 07

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:44 AM

View PostCichorei Kano, on Aug 11 2008, 07:14 PM, said:

Now I know how you get that 'wet look' in your hair so perfect all the time ... <_<


That and as the females say, "product." :lol:
If I am doing "win," sloppy and sissy is fine; if I am doing Judo, beautiful is my rule and goal. Judo is far more important and rewarding than "win."

"What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball [Judo] player." --John Wooden 1910-2010

"You should first try to negotiate nicely but you can be strong after there's resistance, and know, just like in judo, when to catch them." --Rusty Kanokogi, 2008, on negotiating.
0

#174 User is offline   Jonesy 

  • Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 4,351
  • Joined: 02-July 05

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:49 PM

Thread closed by common consensus.
Dr Llyr C Jones
0

  • (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked