JudoForum.com: Is it possible to build muscle after certain age w/out steroids - JudoForum.com

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is it possible to build muscle after certain age w/out steroids Is it possible to do what barry bonds did w/out steroids Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Matt_Werk 

• Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:13 PM

if you were skinny in your twenties, is it possible to pick up more muscle when you are like 36 and over without the use of steroids

Barry Bonds was skinny as a stick at the beginning of his career, and then when he was old, packed on some heat, and hit 73 home runs, and people thought it must be steroids because he packed on some heat

But is it possible to pack on some heat without steroids at an old age?

In other words if you are an endomorph, can you change to exomorph whenever

#2 User is offline   haney 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:56 PM

View PostMatt_Werk, on Jul 15 2008, 10:13 AM, said:

if you were skinny in your twenties, is it possible to pick up more muscle when you are like 36 and over without the use of steroids

Barry Bonds was skinny as a stick at the beginning of his career, and then when he was old, packed on some heat, and hit 73 home runs, and people thought it must be steroids because he packed on some heat

But is it possible to pack on some heat without steroids at an old age?

In other words if you are an endomorph, can you change to exomorph whenever

Eat more + lift heavy weights = more muscle

Age makes zero difference for adding more muscle ( well it makes a difference in that it can be tougher due to hormone, and metabolism changes).

#3 User is offline   Doctor Horrible 

• "Consulting Genius"
  • Icon

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:03 PM

No

Sorry

Posted Image

Posted Image
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
---H.L. Mencken

#4 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:28 PM

uh, Jack La Lanne?

JACK LA LANNE FEATS

1954 Age 40: Swam the length of the San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge underwater with 140 pounds of equipment, including two air tanks… an undisputed world record.

1955 Age 41: Swam, handcuffed, from Alcatraz to Fisherman’s Wharf in San Francisco, CA.

1956 Age 42: Set a world record of 1,033 pushups in 23 minutes on “You Asked for It, a TV Show with Art Baker.

1957 Age 43: Swam the treacherous Golden Gate Channel, towing a 2,500-pound cabin cruiser. This involved fighting the cold, swift ocean currents that made the 1 mile swim a 6 ½ mile test of strength and endurance.

1958 Age 44: Maneuvered a paddleboard 30 miles, 9-½ hours non-stop from Farallon Islands to the San Francisco shore.

1959 Age 45: Completed 1,000 pushups and 1,000 chin-ups in 1 hours and 22 minutes. “Happy” is born and The Jack LaLanne Show goes nationwide

1974 Age 60: Swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman’s Wharf, for a second time handcuffed, shackled and towing a 1,000-pound boat.

1975 Age 61: Swam the length of the Golden Gate Bridge, underwater, for a second time handcuffed, shackled and towing a 1,000-pound boat.

1976 Age 62: Commemorating the “Spirit of ‘76”, swam 1 mile in Long Beach Harbor, handcuffed, shackled and towing 13 boats (representing the 13 original colonies) containing 76 people.

1979 Age 65: Towed 65 boats filled with 6,500-pounds of Lousiana Pacific wood pulp while handcuffed and shackled in Lake Ashinoko, near Tokyo, Japan.

1980 Age 66: Towed 10 boats in North Miami, Florida filled with 77 people for over a mile in less than 1 hour.

1984 Age 70: Handcuffed, shackled and fighting strong winds and currents, towed 70 boats with 70 people from the Queen’s Way Bridge in the Long Beach Harbor to the Queen Mary, 1 ½ miles.

1992 Age 78: Academy of Body Building and Fitness Award

1994 Age 80: State of California Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness Lifetime Achievement Award

1996 Age 82: Dwight D. Eisenhower Fitness Award

1999 Age 85: Spirit of Muscle Beach Award

2002 Age 88: Jack receives his very own star on the Hollywood Blvd. Walk of Fame

2004 Age 90: Jack celebrates his birthday with a major media blitz in New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. ESPN Classic runs a 24 Hour marathon of the original Jack LaLanne Shows

2005 Age 91: Received the Jack Webb Award from the Los Angeles Police Historical Society, the Arnold Classic Lifetime Achievement Award, Interglobal’s International Infomercial Award, the Freddie, Medical Media Public Service Award, and he was a Free Spirit honoree at Al Neuharth’s Freedom Fourm.
Jack LaLanne’s Birthdate is September 26, 1914

Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

#5 User is offline   danguy 

• Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:52 PM

View Poststacey, on Jul 15 2008, 11:28 AM, said:

uh, Jack La Lanne?

Nice steal from my original post. BTW Jack was, is, and will continue to be skinny.

"if you were skinny in your twenties, is it possible to pick up more muscle when you are like 36 and over without the use of steroids" Matt_Werk.

The down and dirty answers to the original post is, "NO." But as with most things in life there is a however. Each body has a maiximum to which it can be build. After about age 28-30 that max declines and I seem to remamber it declines at a rate of about 2% per year. If you are far, far from that max at your 20's and then actually, worked out to try and build muscle mass, then , yes there can be a noticable change. You will not change your body type from endomorph, to mesomorph, to ectomorph. You body type is programed in your genes. You will just be a -----morph with losts of mucle mass. Will the change look like Barry before and after, No. in my opinion he was juiced. See the book 'THE GAME OF SHADOWS'.
If I am doing "win," sloppy and sissy is fine; if I am doing Judo, beautiful is my rule and goal. Judo is far more important and rewarding than "win."

"What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball [Judo] player." --John Wooden 1910-2010

"You should first try to negotiate nicely but you can be strong after there's resistance, and know, just like in judo, when to catch them." --Rusty Kanokogi, 2008, on negotiating.

#6 User is offline   Willannem 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:39 PM

I've seen nothing that says you can't gain muscle at any age. One of my clients is 46 and I helped him gain 10lbs of lean mass in about 4 months (no steroids). There are plenty of examples of 40+ individuals gaining significant amounts of muscle mass. While I agree that it is easier for some while difficult for others, it is still possible.

Barry Bonds is criticized for gaining 30+ pounds (amongst other things) in 10 years. That's well over the need time frame for adding that much mass.
Half of fighting is 90% mental.

#7 User is offline   Judo Tom 

• Judo NutCase
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:52 PM

i train a 50+year old women who is gaining muscle just from doing judo.

obviously at 18 you can gain more muscle but at 36 you can add muscle as well you just have to get more of the details worked out.

at 18 i could eat mcnuggetts and french fries all day and stay in great shape.

now i need to rest properly, stay hydrated, eat fruits/veggies, get lots of protein and lift properly.

its kinda like a throw. i can throw a 100lb white belt only having done about 30% of the throw properly.. if i want to throw a good black belt i need a lot more behind it...

#8 User is offline   Marcinek 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:33 PM

Age has Absolutely nothing to do with building muscle, if you work hard you'll see results bottom line
DisabledGrappler.com
Sunny days wouldn't be special, if it wasn't for rain
Joy wouldn't feel so good, if it wasn't for pain

ScrantonMMA.com My Club Visit us For a FREE first workout!

Freestyle Judo Judo the way it ought to be!

#9 User is offline   Doctor Horrible 

• "Consulting Genius"
  • Icon

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:04 PM

^^^ I can argue f'r it or agi'n it.

Crazy is like that <_<

(shut up!)
(you shut up!)
(you shut up with the shut up!)

This post has been edited by Miss Kitty Fantastico: 16 July 2008 - 05:05 PM

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
---H.L. Mencken

#10 User is offline   Darshu 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:39 PM

Muscle hypertrophy response to resistance training in older women, S. L. Charette, L. McEvoy, G. Pyka, C. Snow-Harter, D. Guido, R. A. Wiswell and R. Marcus, Journal of Applied Physiology, Vol 70, Issue 5 1912-1916, Copyright © 1991 by American Physiological Society.

We conclude that a program of resistance exercise can be safely carried out by elderly women, such a program significantly increases muscle strength, and such gains are due, at least in part, to muscle hypertrophy.

John Schneider
JudoFitness.com

1. The Body is One Piece
2. There are three kinds of strength training:
• Putting weight overhead
• Picking it off the ground
• Carrying it for time or distance
3. All training is complementary.
-Dan John

#11 User is offline   danguy 

• Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:54 PM

It is possible to build muscle mass on anyone not working out. The results are not instant and are a matter of degree. That exhibited by Barry is beyond the normal degree seen.

I don't think rehashing the Barry matter is something for this forum especially since he is under indictment regarding the case with one of the charges being he lied when he said he was not using steroids. I reference the book on the matter as judo is a brief subject in the book.
If I am doing "win," sloppy and sissy is fine; if I am doing Judo, beautiful is my rule and goal. Judo is far more important and rewarding than "win."

"What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball [Judo] player." --John Wooden 1910-2010

"You should first try to negotiate nicely but you can be strong after there's resistance, and know, just like in judo, when to catch them." --Rusty Kanokogi, 2008, on negotiating.

#12 User is offline   OldTimer 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:20 AM

Well, I'm in my mid-40's and returning to Judo after a 30 yr hiatus. I'm not gaining any muscle, but I am losing some fat.

#13 User is offline   Judoturtle 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:00 AM

I was under the impression women increased in testosterone production as they moved past 40-50yrs, whilst men decreased...isn't that why older women can increase muscle mass?

Umm I didn't make that up...but I could be 100% incorrect. :huh:
Win big or lose big...nothing in-between...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic